Italeri 1/35 PT-596 original release

Gremlin56

Lyrics copyright Roger Waters:

"The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard"

[Alf Razzell:]
"Two things that have haunted me most are the days when I had to collect the paybooks; and when I left Bill Hubbard in no-man's-land."
"I was picked up and taken into their trench. And I'd no sooner taken two or three steps down the trench when I heard a call,
'Hello Razz, I'm glad to see you. This is my second night here,' and he said
'I'm feeling bad,' and it was Bill Hubbard, one of the men we'd trained in England, one of the original battalion. I had a look at his wound, rolled him over; I could see it was probably a fatal wound. You could imagine what pain he was in, he was dripping with sweat; and after I'd gone about three shellholes, traversed that, had it been...had there been a path or a road I could have done better.
He pummeled me, 'Put me down, put me down, I'd rather die, I'd rather die, put me down.' I was hoping he would faint. He said 'I can't go any further, let me die.' I said 'If I leave you here Bill you won't be found, let's have another go.' He said 'All right then.' And the same thing happened; he couldn't stand it any more, and I had to leave him there, in no-man's-land."

[Alf Razzell:] "Years later, I saw Bill Hubbard's name on the memorial to the

missing at Aras. And I...when I saw his name I was absolutely transfixed; it

was as though he was now a human being instead of some sort of nightmarish

memory of how I had to leave him, all those years ago. And I felt relieved,

and ever since then I've felt happier about it, because always before,

whenever I thought of him, I said to myself, 'Was there something else that I

could have done?' [background: "I'd rather die, I'd rather die..."] And that

always sort of worried me. And having seen him, and his name in the register -

as you know in the memorials there's a little safe, there's a register in

there with every name - and seeing his name and his name on the memorial; it

sort of lightened my...heart, if you like."

(woman) "When was it that you saw his name on the memorial?"

"Ah, when I was eighty-seven, that would be a year, ninete...eighty-four,

nineteen eighty-four."

• Like 2

9/12 update.

final odds and ends being added, hull weathered, deck weathered and "Motley Crew" being assembled. Nearly time to start thinking of the next build:

DSCN4297.jpg

DSCN4298.jpg

DSCN4299.jpg

DSCN4300.jpg

DSCN4302.jpg

DSCN4303.jpg

DSCN4304.jpg

DSCN4306.jpg

I have of course already decided what the next major build will be, a 1/16th Sd.Kfz.186. Have even pulled it out of the stash and have been drooling over the box contents this afternoon :analintruder:

• Like 4

Thanks Keith, Simon,

the Motley Crew are another tale. I bought a couple of MiG's "Oil Brushers" thinking they would look smoother than acrylics when dried. Three days later they haven't dried so I am getting a bit fidgety now wondering if I want to wait a week for each color to dry or not,

to be continued as they say....................................................:blink2:

Hello,

curiously, the pics don't show up in the thread but I see all of them on SlickPic ... very nice build, I particularly like the camo pattern B)

If you need infos about USN sailors deck uniforms, dont hesitate to ask, I have some authentic US Navy uniforms at home.

100_4418.jpg

Regards, E

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hello,

curiously, the pics don't show up in the thread but I see all of them on SlickPic ... very nice build, I particularly like the camo pattern B)

If you need infos about USN sailors deck uniforms, dont hesitate to ask, I have some authentic US Navy uniforms at home.

100_4418.jpg

Regards, E

Thanks for the reference photo Etienne, very kind and very helpful.

You complaint about the photos I placed not showing up is the first I have heard, maybe Kev, Simon and Keith can confirm if it's a general problem or only on your PC.

Cheers,

Julian

• Like 1

10/12 update.

Wire fitted to stanchions, screws fitted. Just a few decals to go on. I'll be cleaning off the oil gunk on Motley crew from the Mig Oil Brushers and going back to good old Mk.1 acrylics:

DSCN4312.jpg

DSCN4313.jpg

DSCN4314.jpg

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Thanks for the reference photo Etienne, very kind and very helpful.

You complaint about the photos I placed not showing up is the first I have heard, maybe Kev, Simon and Keith can confirm if it's a general problem or only on your PC.

Cheers,

Julian

You're welcome, Julian ... and don't worry about the pics, I checked on another device, everything's OK so it's my computer's fault !!

Cheers, E

• Like 1

Must be a problem  Julian some of them are not showing as Etienne has posted but can click on them to view

Might just be my slow internet connection  :wall:

Beefy

• 2 weeks later...