1/48 - Heinkel He.111H by ICM - H-3/-6/-8 "Paravane"/-16/-20 released

Homebee

In the famous lines from "The Battle of Britain" (movie)  "three stripes on the wing eh laddie - that's a wing leader" - "That three of you that got him" - "a third of a kill laddie - a third of a kill"

Does anyone know "who" these markings belong to - or "when" they were in use?

All info is "very excitedly" received :)  

• 3 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 11:32 PM, BIG X said:

In the famous lines from "The Battle of Britain" (movie)  "three stripes on the wing eh laddie - that's a wing leader" - "That three of you that got him" - "a third of a kill laddie - a third of a kill"

Does anyone know "who" these markings belong to - or "when" they were in use?

All info is "very excitedly" received :)  

The line in the film is "yellow stripes on the wing" which is then identified as a wng leader by the other character. However, I have never heard anything about this being used by the Luftwaffe to indicate wing leaders. Perhaps a bit of poor research in the movie?

• 2 months later...
On 19/11/2016 at 22:10, BIG X said:

Hi Homebee - this looks awesome  - but is it available?

I live near Manchester (UK) & I believe these were used in attacks just a few miles from my house - this makes very interesting reading

http://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-raids-bomb-sites/a3/

especially this one - http://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-raids-bomb-sites/v1-flying-bomb-site-oldham/ - which I pass on most days on the way home from work - eerie...

There is a good self published book by Peter Smith titled "Flying Bombs over the Pennines" (The story of the V1 attack aimed at Manchester on December 24th 1944). Its long out of print (1988). But for those interested its ISBN is 1 85216 029 2.

The V1's aimed at manchester where launched over the North Sea just off the coast between Scarborough and Hull, most fell short of thier intended target.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
A typo what else
  • Like 1

I have just dug the book out, I have to make a correction. The V1's were in fact launched between Skegness and Scarborough. Interestingly, according to the book the V1 that crashed near Chester, it's motor cut out over Staffordshire and it glided the rest of the way.

The info on Air Crash site appears largely come from the book.

Thomo.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, elger said:

The line in the film is "yellow stripes on the wing" which is then identified as a wng leader by the other character. However, I have never heard anything about this being used by the Luftwaffe to indicate wing leaders. Perhaps a bit of poor research in the movie?

In the On Target Guide No 9 Battle of Britain, pages 122 to 129 there is a full explanation of the Luftwaffe Bar markings which seem to have been applied in early September and were used to help the bomber formations to form up.

A number of crashed bombers have been recorded as carrying these markings.

• Like 2

Nice book that On Target BoB book. Of course, it does state that no-one really knows the true meaning of the wing and tail markings and what was presented in the book was a best guess. Must say that it seems to be the most logical guess, but it does seem strange that all the extensive research on the BoB period didn't unearth the definitive answer to these markings.

Of course, some of these strips have since been found to be pink, as shown in contemporary intelligence reports. The Luftwaffe Crash Archive series of books illustrates this well. Interesting subject though!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

Any more news on this? We're now a fair way past Q3.

My thoughts too - keep looking on Hannants - but nothing yet...

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, janneman36 said:

Could it also be that it was a sort an assembly ship to assemble a formation??

But that is my wild guess......

There is a lengthy article on the subject of B-O-B wing/tail stripes in Model Aircraft Monthly Vol. 3 No. 10, October 2004.  The article is by Paul Lucas and has several rabbit holes, but there is enough photographic/report justification to show that:

- stripes appeared on some He-111's, Do-17's and Ju-88's

- the stripes were in three colors, white, yellow and pink

- the color of stripes did not appear to be related to Staffel or Gruppe

- in some cases the stipes appeared on only one wing uppersurface and only the corresponding tail side; that would suggest (but not prove) a relation to formation flying.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

just doing some dry fit trials:

Instructions error: sidewalls of the landing gear boxes: 

step 02:  A10 goes with A1

step 04: A6 goes with A19

drill to a wider dia hole: negative locators (holes) on the fuselage half, otherwise pins will not fit in.

Wheel faces are ok for the early wheels!

Have fun with the kit!

Andreas Beck

• Like 3