1/72 AH-64 Longbow Apache

Hello everyone,

I'm still learning how to improve my skills so this is just a regular model I managed to put together in a few days while applying some techniques and avoiding others (such as brush painting a matte coat at the end).

This was my fifth Hasegawa and the first one to come with some details as you can see on the photo below, for example the canopy fit. However, Hasegawa is still much better than Italeri. And also, I will have to fit in the canopy before painting from now on to make any corrections necessary. I am also disappointed that the rocket launchers come empty while the missiles are loaded on Hasegawa helicopters...:angrysoapbox.sml:

As for the paint job, the olive green (I know, it had to be FS 34031) was Tamiya Enamel and the flat black, Tamiya acrylic. Completely by brush. And, BTW, am I the only one who notices that the Tamiya flat enamel has this sheen while the Tamiya acrylic flats have like a dusty texture?:huh:

And finally, I avoided the disaster of brush painting the matte coat at the end to hide the glossiness of the decals. Instead, I applied the matte coat only right on top of the decals. And the flash of the camera reveals where I went beyond the decals. :blush:

CIMG2799.jpg

CIMG2800.jpg

CIMG2801.jpg

CIMG2802.jpg

CIMG2803.jpg

CIMG2806.jpg

I'll soon be putting up an F-20. Just have to make some corrections...

• Like 10

Nicely done.

I don't know about Tamiya Acrylics as I've never used them, but as a rule all Matt/Flat paints need a really good mixing to ensure all the pigments and matting agent are mixed in. (Actually, ALL paints should be well mixed before use...)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Nicely done.

I don't know about Tamiya Acrylics as I've never used them, but as a rule all Matt/Flat paints need a really good mixing to ensure all the pigments and matting agent are mixed in. (Actually, ALL paints should be well mixed before use...)

Hello Dave,

Thanks!

I've been mixing them with toothpicks and avoiding shaking, I did see in a youtube video somebody who strongly recommends using the electric mixer though.

I wonder how mixable vallejo paints are by just rolling them in your palms...

Nice modelling your skills are coming on nicely.

I use flat coat or Satin to give an even finish right across the model over both paint and decals.  BTW when you are next in your local coffee emporium, take a large handful of the wooden stirrers - they are dead handy for stirring your paint and they are free....

• Like 2

Thank you guys for the tips, the coffee stirrers and the computer screws, will give them a try.

Somebody in one of the modelshops here told me about a modeller who mastered painting tamiya acrilics by hand, so gonna investigate more about his technique. And will share them here.