Handley Page Herald

alancmlaird

Well, nothing like starting late for a bit of excitement.
I was determined that I should lift something out of my own 'historic' stash to use for this group build, but instead decided that something out of someone else's stash would be even better! So thanks 'Scimitar'. He had donated for choice, at a gratefully small fee, among other useful stuff a Curtiss C-46, a Canadair Dash 8, and a 1/72 HP Herald in an untranslatable (by me) Cyrillic boxed re-issue of the Frog original, though I finally chose to build the Herald as a series 100 BEA 'red square' livery that used to be a frequent sight at Abbotsinch when I was a plane spotter way back.
I'll shut up now and open the interesting but delapidated packaging.....

Herald%201_zpswdgbi7ox.jpg

Herald%204_zpsl2dpciqt.jpg

Herald%202_zpsmdcuazff.jpg

Herald%203_zps3ddlmxlv.jpg

Edited by alancmlaird
displaying pics
  • Like 6

That looks a very interesting project Alan. I look forward to watching your progress.

If you would like to display photos in your thread then simply click on the direct link for your photo in Photobucket, it will flash yellow to show that it has been copied. Once copied paste this into your post and the forum software will do the rest.

For those above try deleting everything after the .jpg, so for example, edit the first link above by removing the .html?o=1  from the end of the link and that should show the photo. Failing that remove them all and follow the steps above.

One other thing to be aware of, you need to check the size of your photos to make sure that it will display at the right size for most screens, I tend to use a width of 750, but if you check the help section there will be more info in there about posting photos. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Nimrod54...Tried your suggestions....still no preview! I'll try replacing them at 750px wide (mine were 1700) see if that makes a difference. Never mind - sticking bits to other bits now.

Pinky Coffeeboat....printed on front "Oct 17-296-75" sothe year 75 sounds about right - I'll ask 'Scimitar' where he got it. I intended to preserve the box anyway - its astounding.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

Nimrod54...Tried your suggestions....still no preview! I'll try replacing them at 750px wide (mine were 1700) see if that makes a difference. Never mind - sticking bits to other bits now.

Pinky Coffeeboat....printed on front "Oct 17-296-75" sothe year 75 sounds about right - I'll ask 'Scimitar' where he got it. I intended to preserve the box anyway - its astounding.

Alan just about to send a PM, hopefully that will make things a bit clearer. Enjoy the building.:)

All that writing's in Russian. If you need anything translated just post a photo of it. I can tell you something about the instructions which may cause problems if not translated: the little black circle with a white tube in it means 'glue', and when it's crossed through, it means 'do not glue'. Just thought I should mention this (even though it is probably obvious anyway) as gluing something you're not supposed to could be...problematic.

• Like 1

I didn't want to make things too easy for Alan so sold him the worst three kits in the stash :wicked:

He's been out of the hobby for a wee while so go easy on him!

On second thoughts don't bother as everything he builds has got G-.... on it.

Richard

• Like 3

All the best with this one. The mouldings don't look too bad so hopefully it should go together well.

Was it a Herald that used to sit on the roof alongside the viewing platform at Gatwick and now lies dumped unceremoniously in a field north of the runway near the fire training site?

• Like 1

Scimitar and 825 - I am amazed at the amount of info that turns up on this site, just in passing.

Anyway....The series 100 is a scale 13.5mm shorter than the kit depiction (or 7/12" if you are sad like me and actually have a ruler marked in 12ths of an inch so you can easily scale a dimension to 1/72), so junior hacksaw out after carefull marking up with masking tape. 

herald%206_zpszn8tevxg.jpg

Herald%207_zpsr8nabqf4.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

Anyway....The series 100 is a scale 13.5mm shorter than the kit depiction ...

I thought it was 15.2 mm?

By the way has anyone ever converted (a scale 7.05 mm shorter again than the -100) one of these back to a HPR.3 (in Queensland Airlines colours of course!) and if so what did you use for engines and props?

The Herald 200 was 42" longer than the 100. So, a slight correction on the math:

42" x 1/72 = 7/12" which Alan stated prior, but his metric conversion of 13.5mm is out a little.

In metric, (25.4mm to an inch) sees: 25.4 x 7/12 = 14.8mm

So, Rob's figure of 15.2mm is closer to the mark.

Scott.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:41 PM, alancmlaird said:

Correct on the metric - anyway, the kit was 11/6d, so I'll stick to imperial!

Good choice, after all they were built in £.s.d.  :winkgrin: Keep up the good work Alan. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

The Herald 200 was 42" longer than the 100. So, a slight correction on the math:

42" x 1/72 = 7/12" which Alan stated prior, but his metric conversion of 13.5mm is out a little.

In metric, (25.4mm to an inch) sees: 25.4 x 7/12 = 14.8mm

So, Rob's figure of 15.2mm is closer to the mark.

Scott.

The Specification I read added up to 43 inches from :

"Fuselage length increased from 71 ft 11 in to 75 ft 6 in and maximum accommodation rose from 47 to 56 seats."

and I have just reread the article and in the text says :

"Handley Page launched in 1960 a further improved version, the Series 200, which was lengthened by 42 in (107 cm), with corresponding increased weights, allowing up to 56 passengers to be carried"

talk about confusing!  42 must be right as it's also the answer to "THE" Question.

Hit first snag! Though I'm convinced I was the first to open the kit's bag, two of the windows were missing. No problem...delve into the historic spares box for a piece of clear plastic with just the right curve to match. Found a part no problem, and it wasn't until I had made the two windows I realised how appropriate the spare part was - it was window from a Herald! Not HP - Airfix's 1/43 Triumph Herald Saloon back window, from an as yet unfinished (started about 1975 - ha) conversion to a convertible Vitesse because I owned the real thing at the time.
Next snag, I realised the large windows needed something inside the cabin to avoid the empty freighter look. I couldn't find a complete seating plan for the 47 seats, but since I was really just after a furnished impression, I just made up rows to number 48. I admit I started to make up seats with way too much detail - where could I find out what the in-flight magazine and the sick-bag looked like? - but settled for simple blue benches with white anti-macassars.

Just the weight to keep the tail up to deal with before starting the assembly proper. I've heard all sorts of suggestions using buckshot and fishing weights, but as you can see from the pics, I hit on a non-rattling alternative. Its lead flashing, a plentiful supply being available from church roofs if Crimewatch is anything to go by. Other suppliers are available. So I cut a strip, rolled it into a tube and inserted it into the front cabin before glueing the lot together. The lead is malleable enough that it can be opened out tight inside and won't rattle. The little lugs glued onto the join for location of the aft fuselage helps to hold it in place. Trial assembly - tail up!
Now just to glue the big bits together and sort out the joint lines.
I may be gone some time.

Herald%208_zpsrkeml7py.jpg

Herald%209_zpsrck4b3ax.jpg

Herald%2010_zpsuyusskmy.jpg

• Like 5

Any street cred I had is now gone! I'm following a 'civvie' thread

Mind you the street cred probably left about the same time we did in that Vitesse!

Remind me to persuade you to buy a decent saw at Glasgow next week Alan.

Richard

• Like 1

On 01/10/2016 at 10:50 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have one in a NOVO box, and the BEA decals. The inner bag and contents are the same.

Shouldn't that be BIA?  At least, that was what was on the only box I saw.  Mine was the Malaysian one, but the transfers went to someone in Warton Sales dept for a greater cause.  I did manage to pick up a set of the (minimal) BIA transfers later, but have yet to start the kit.

Amusing story (well, I think it is).  When the Work Study people at HP drew up plans to reorganise the Stores, they wanted a model to show what the new layout would look like.  They couldn't find Herald kits so the model was made and displayed using Airfix Fokker Friendship bits, and no-one noticed.

• Like 2

Like you Graham, I had the Malaysian markings kit, which i built in BIA colours carefully handpainted and with (adapted) Letraset letters - it was fine attempt. Then the BIA version came out. Doh!

Bentwaters81tfw - I nearly bought those BEA 2-6 decals, but I had issues with the product - well, not the product, its fine, but the original on which it is based, G-APWA. After leaving BEA service, it went through a number of livery changes, so when it ended up preserved at the Berkshire Museum, it would have to have been repainted in BEA colours, but some aspects did not match the style I was used to seeing at Abbotsinch Airport in the late '60s! I'll expand on this as the kit progresses.

Correction - G-APWA was never in BEA service. It was painted up as a demonstrator and went as such on a world sales tour. Whether HP decided the paint scheme, or BEA made changes for the delivery of 'PWB-D I don't know, but they were differed from 'PWA in many details, which I am still trying to find!

Edited by alancmlaird
correction
  • Like 2