Grumman Tarpon Mk.1

A wee bit of a test to see if I can still post photies on the new set up  forum.

I back-dated the old Airfix Grumman Avenger to a Mk1 Tarpon of the FAA. A lot of the info for doing this was gleaned from this very Britmodeller Forum

Changes and improvements are; fish-bowl observation windows, gun trough in top front of fuselage, removal of chin intake & reprofiling of engine cowling with the reduction of the number of cooling fins. Exhausts drilled out and replaced with sliced aluminium tubing. Guns changed for white metal ones. Yagi aerials correctly positioned and made from plastic strip. Main radio aerial raked backwards. Better crew figures installed in three positions. Wheel wells boxed in. Thinner bladed prop, from an Airfix F4U Corsair. Decals all came from the files.

Avenger%2006s_zpsnpppwhl1.jpg

Avenger%2007s_zpsqzydfaza.jpg

Avenger%2008s_zpsfxuzpmav.jpg

Avenger%2009s_zpsp8st8ltv.jpg

Avenger%2010s_zpsreorsduc.jpg

• Like 30

I did take a few  photos, out of habit

A photo of under one wing as it progressed. It shows the u/c bay boxed in, the yagi aerial post position. I used thin aluminium foil on the inside of the landing light

Avenger%2005s_zpsai6yqpjq.jpg

The two push moulded goldfish bowl windows;

Avenger%2001s_zpsagjpooin.jpg

And the interior of the turret reworked;

Avenger%2002s_zpsq7b3wxzl.jpg

• Like 4

Black Knight you made a great job with this Tarpon.

It's funny but it seems to be Fleet Air Arm day today.

I just saw a very good looking Martlet in English colours.

Fantastic job you all make guys.

Bravo. Polo.

Lads, the gunner's got the collywobbles, that's all. He'll be right after a snort of oxy and the gear goes up.

Very nice work BK. Wish I could manage to do as well with the Acc Min kit that I have part built.

• 2 weeks later...