Airfix and Revell Shackletons

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

In spite of all the predictions about the Airfix kit being the better model, the Revell kit looks so much nicer. The rivet details are very well done, the Airfix kit just looks like a die cast metal toy with all those heavy panel lines.

Not taking anything away from your great build you've completed two very well done models. 

One can hardly make out rivets here in this view which was even taken much (scale) closer than the photos in the OP here, rivets in 1/72 are at the wrong place anyways, so ...

xOXdSd2q4rLDSr5gdlJ5hl7CVgey-uf7_yj8gIbB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

In spite of all the predictions about the Airfix kit being the better model, the Revell kit looks so much nicer. The rivet details are very well done, the Airfix kit just looks like a die cast metal toy with all those heavy panel lines.

Not taking anything away from your great build you've completed two very well done models. 

TBPH had a wash not been applied the panel lines on the Airfix kit would not be so obvious and, as occa's pointed out, the rivets aren't that obvious on the real aeroplane.  

Very few kits exhibit "correct" surface detail, even the much-vaunted Tamiya and Hasegawa have engraved lines as though the panels are butt-jointed on, for example, Spitfires where in reality the panel edges are lapped.

that said Tony's done a super job on both models and I do wish that I could get mine done to such a standard.

To be honest at first look I found the first one immediately to be the more realistic and authentic not least due to the shape of the nose.

I didn't know which one was the Airfix and which one the Revel ...

A matter of taste and what one expects from a model I'd say

Thank you for the kind comments - it almost made 4 months of hell worth it ! 

As to which kit was better - they both disappointed as far as quality is concerned, modern kits just should not have as many sink marks and challenging fits as these two. The Airfix kit wins on interior detail but unless you do a cut away you can barely see it. The Revell kit has much better surface detail , but this does lead to difficulties in restoring it after the filling and sanding required to resolve the fit and sink marks, and as some pointed out the rivets are barely visible at 1/72. Overall they are very much a muchness. I personally prefer the Airfix but that really is based on the paint scheme which is much more interesting (and challenging), but it's a close call.

I have written up some of the build in IPMS Romsey's Magazine (http://www.romseymodellers.co.uk/magazine/the-romsey-modeller-2016/August-2016 and http://www.romseymodellers.co.uk/magazine/the-romsey-modeller-2016/September-2016 ), the final installment will be published later in the month when I get around to write it.

Edited by Tony Adams

Oh and thank you to Paul Adams for taking some great photos at our last club meeting

• Like 1

Hello,Tony - I'm not going to comment on the pluses or minuses of the Revell and Airfix Shackleton kits.

These magnificent looking builds show what can be done with them.If I wanted a scale model of this type (and I do!😉)  I couldn't wish for anything better than what I see here.

'AVRO' would be proud of these as I'm sure you must deservedly be.I love them.

😀👍 All the best,Paul.

On 30 September 2016 at 10:34 PM, Tony Adams said:

Oh and thank you to Paul Adams for taking some great photos at our last club meeting

I'm fortunate enough to get to see Tony's models regularly and to photograph them. These two are among my favourites he's done in this scale, my favourite is certainly the MR2, but both models are equally impressive.