Your favourite paint for RAF interior green?

AndrewCJ50

3 hours ago, cossack52 said:

i used to  use humbrol 78,but the last 3 tins i got won't dry

Yes,the quality of Humbrol paint has really gone down the drain the last years. I stopped buying them altogether.

Cheers,

Andre 

• 4 years later...
On 9/30/2016 at 10:22 PM, JosephLalor said:

I've found Humbrol 78 to be all over the place.  Sometimes a light green, sometimes a medium green, sometimes a slatey green grey.

I bought a tin of Humbrol 78 earlier this week which appears to be the latest production version and it has dried as a light olive colour.  Despite being stirred for some time it’s still somewhat thick for brush painting and needs repeated stirring if you’re painting for an extended period otherwise it turns to gloop.  It’s also going to require at least one more coat.  In contrast a tin of Humbrol Authentics Railway Brown that was first opened well before my teenaged daughter was born required minimal stirring and brushed on easily giving a good finish with one coat.

• Like 1

Colourcoats for me. I remember Lifecolour’s effort looking distinctly weird, being maybe halfway between the American Interior Green and MAP Grey Green. The Xtracrylix one I bought looked odd too.

Over the years I have amassed a large number of Humbrol 78s, with some relatively new and some dating from the 1970s. The colour is indeed all over the place! Most are way too dark, so I have relegated these to priming duties,

Regarding the paint not drying, I can almost guarantee it’s due to insufficient stirring. When you think you’ve stirred it enough, repeat. If that doesn’t do the job, Rustins Driers will.

Cheers,

Mark.

I do find HU78 to be too Green in most cases so going the other way, I use HU 90.

Some say its too pale but having looked at numerous photos, (preserved aircraft I must say) Hu90 for me is as close as I need.

A wash over the top can lessen the impact and covered/surrounded by equipment, for me, gives the desired appearance.

Ian

Seriously? Well, you asked for it! Handmixed using Floquil or Modelmaster paints to the color chip and formula on the old Floquil color chip chart. You can use Floquil RR colors, which I doubt very few out there have or might even have seen, (young whippersnappers!) or you can use suitable enamels like Modelmaster; or you can take the easy way out and just get the  Colourcoats enamel....unless you live on this side of the pond, as they are hard to find and almost always out of stock by the distributors. (I'm still waiting for an order I placed with a U.S. distributor who assured me he was getting a big restock in January!)

Mike

70 white

64 olive green

1   black

8  yellow

2  dark blue

Back when the earth was still cooling around  the time I discovered 1/72 scale, airbrushes, and fillers,you had to hand mix almost everything, as there were very few ready-mixed paints for anything but the basic camouflage colors. Nowadays, you can choose between lacquers, enamels, or acrylics from several different paint manufacturers. In my day it was Pactra flats, Floquil, Testors, and Pollyscale.

• Like 3

As far as RAF interior grey-green is concerned the 'rattle can' colour I use is Plastikote satin 'Leafy Rise.' This presents very well to my eye. For a lighter, tending to

'eau de nil' shade (Supermarine), Molotow PJ Green looks good to me.

As to US aircraft 'interior greens' I did some experimentation and have found the Liquitex and Molotow artists paints can provide pretty good options e.g.

an interior yellow-(primer) - Liquitex Cadmium yellow (light hue) or for a duller version Molotow Apple.

For a yellow-green-Molotow 'Pear.'

I have somewhere a good option for a pretty good dark dull green but this is in amongst my notes which are not immediately to hand.

Experience tells me that for the above, looking at the manufacturers colour charts will not provide true impressions of what is delivered through the nozzle and eventually dries on the plastic.

I think it was Nick Millman who questioned why use a spray can , given the range of colours found in the various branded paints? That is a very good question, the answer to which revolves around personal choice, convenience and time-saving but his point is most certainly valid. One disadvantage is that if seeking to lighten or darken areas for effect there are no tins/bottles for mixing shades.

I hope you find the above useful.

Edited by V Line
spelling error edit

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere on Britmodeller, I recently read that someone had used Citadel Death Guard Green as an interior colour on a WW2 1/72 kit. The photo looked good, too.

On Saturday, I picked up a jar at a local gamers shop. I haven't tried it out yet, but it does look like a good colour,

Chris

• Like 1

I used to use Hu78, tamiya XF71, and a few home mixes of grey, green, yellow and blue, okay, no rainbow songs please, in custom mixes. Since ordering from Jamie and co at Sovereign, his grey green gets my vote. Dries smooth, covers well, very quick and, looks the part. 

• Like 1

I just did a wee experiment, using the only paints I have that are supposedly RAF Interior Grey-green, or close to it.

This one was taken inside, under a 100 watt lightbulb:

51132271996_8a16b478c1_b.jpg

This one was taken outside under northern afternoon sun:

51131598612_46707a7553_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

I’ve mostly converted to lacquer paints so Gunze’s C364 Grey Green is my poison of choice. It dries to a nice eggshell semi gloss sheen and will handle all types of wash mediums without the need of a clear coat. My latest technique is to carefully apply Tamiya’s enamel panel line wash were required and I have full confidence the base coat paint will remain when the excess wash is removed with enamel thinners. As for colour match, I think it’s close to the MAP standard, although photos always seem to give it a lighter feel. 

Cheers.. Dave 

51037085928_5a5bd41c76_b.jpg

51042593636_4d39993c47_b.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I added another colour. I just found this little tub of Humbrol Acrylic 78.

The tub came with one of my Airfix Starter kits. It's quite thick and sludgy. I don't think I'll ever use it. Is it usable?

51157444395_b2d170983a_b.jpg

Chris

On 23/04/2021 at 00:34, dogsbody said:

I just did a wee experiment, using the only paints I have that are supposedly RAF Interior Grey-green, or close to it.

This one was taken inside, under a 100 watt lightbulb:

51132271996_8a16b478c1_b.jpg

This one was taken outside under northern afternoon sun:

51131598612_46707a7553_b.jpg

Chris

I've been using death guard green for a while but recently started using Hataka's interior grey green which just airbrushes nicely unlike pretty much any citadel paint

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I've been using death guard green for a while but recently started using Hataka's interior grey green which just airbrushes nicely unlike pretty much any citadel paint

All I can get up here, on The Backside of Beyond, is Tamiya and Citadel paints. The closest hobby store is 450 km. south of here. I'm not too bad off for paint right now, but that could change. I want to do my Beaufort in the Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey, so I may have to resort to mixing my own from Tamiya colours. I do have some Gunze-Sangyo Aqueous paint, but they're post-war colours and I don't know if they'll work for WW2.

Chris

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I added another colour. I just found this little tub of Humbrol Acrylic 78.

The tub came with one of my Airfix Starter kits. It's quite thick and sludgy. I don't think I'll ever use it. Is it usable?

51157444395_e608cb61a9_b.jpg

Chris

The potlet of 78 is what I use. Thoroughly stirred to make it less gloopy and applied with a wetted brush it works for me. If I don’t have any, I use a mix of RAF Dark Green and Sky to get a ballpark match.

Trevor

16 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

The potlet of 78 is what I use. Thoroughly stirred to make it less gloopy and applied with a wetted brush it works for me. If I don’t have any, I use a mix of RAF Dark Green and Sky to get a ballpark match.

Trevor

I wonder if it's airbrushable? What would you thin it with? 

Chris

19 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I wonder if it's airbrushable? What would you thin it with? 

Chris

I’m strictly a wielder of The Hairy Stick and I have no knowledge of such sorcery!

Trevor

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...