Aeronavale Lancaster

Magua87

I copied the size and placement of the cut out area for the exhausts from the Hasegawa kit. However, I didn't take in account that the Airfix kit has the front of the engine separate. So I've had to shorten the cut outs slightly with some plastic rod. I'll sand and fill these along with any imperfections in the coming week. 

MXwmpiDh.jpg

This mistake was confined to the shorter exhausts only. No fix needed on these.

I'm trying to preserve the raised detail on the engines. Mostly. I couldn't avoid losing the top panel and rivets. 

iITQpmah.jpg

• Like 1

On 28/09/2016 at 11:06 AM, Atom.uk said:

I am intending to build an Aeronavale Lancaster also, using the same kit. An Aeronavale Lancaster became NX611 "Just Jane" based at East Kirby in the UK. 

Being pedantic it was the other way round: East Kirkby’s Lancaster was built as.a Mk. VII as NX611.  She never saw any RAF service but was delivered into storage.  Purchased by l’ Aeronavale she became WU-15.  At the end of her service life she was purchased for preservation in the UK and flown back as G-ASXX.  After a brief spell on the air show circuit she was grounded and spent a lot of time languishing at Liverpool and as gate guardian at Scampton before being bought by the Panton brothers and being transported to her present home where work is under way to return her to flight.

The late Neil Williams wrote an account of flying this aeroplane for the 1974 or ‘75 RAF Yearbooks including two in-flight emergencies, a CSU failure on number 2engine and a hydraulics problem which could have culminated with a wheels-up landing on the foam strip at Manston.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to scribe some detail into the engine nacelles. The middle engine is complete.

I started following the Airfix panel lines and I think I'll stick with them.Perhaps I'll delete the aft vertical line if its erroneous (looking at the Hasegawa nacelle). 

MKZspEth.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magua87 said:

I've decided to scribe some detail into the engine nacelles. The middle engine is complete.

I started following the Airfix panel lines and I think I'll stick with them.Perhaps I'll delete the aft vertical line if its erroneous (looking at the Hasegawa nacelle). 

MKZspEth.jpg

Check your references; Hasegawa aren’t infallible they’ve moulded the cockpit roof escape hatch in the wrong place in their Lancaster for instance, and Airfix’s old Lancaster is generally regarded as being very accurate overall, even if it lacks detail in some areas.

• Like 1

Thanks, Stever. I managed to get my hands on a SAM publication on the Lancaster. It's got some line drawings at the back which seem to agree mostly with the Airfix kit and partially with Hasegawa. Both kits seem to get it wrong at times. 

Well, after making a start on the engines I was motivated. I've started scribing some detail into the wings. I started with Tamiya tape and got some shonky results. I've heard Super Glue works well for filling gaps and being a reasonable scribing medium. Any thoughts? 

kClc32zh.jpg

Then I bought some Dymo tape and I'm getting better results now. 

kaOkdxyh.jpg

Edited by Magua87
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Friends! It may have been over two years, but this build still slowly progresses when I find the time and motivation. Hard to come by with a little one in the house (just over 1 year old). 

The wings have been scribed. 

4BFUsKhl.jpg

The nacelles are together.

NsCZlQbl.jpg

And are attached to the wing.

M5xjSjal.jpg

And I couldn't resist a dry fit to the fuselage.

UDQOSChl.jpg

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Glad you are still with us, despite the total Lock-down, gives you some time surely to crack on??

My thoughts exactly.

To help me finish the fuselage scribing I'm going to need a bit of advice from someone with an Airfix Lancaster in the stash. Will have a post with pictures and queries tonight my time.

More progress. Probably because this build has stretched out over four years, I've lost some of my transparencies. Specifically, the glass windows in the roof. My improvised solution was to cut larger holes in the Lanc's roof, and to roughly cut to shape some plastic from an old plastic CD case.

These were super glued in place and have been sanded smooth. Once we come out of our lockdown in NZ, I'll grab some Tamiya polishing compound to sort them out. They look too large now, but will be masked to the correct diameter when it's time to paint. 

NBnGWDvh.jpg

A query for anyone with the new tool Airfix Lancaster (or the Revell I suppose). I've been using some Airfix instructions from Scalemates to see which panel lines I should be cutting into the fuselage. I can then look at my Hasegawa Lancaster, which is noted for having too many panel lines, and can copy over only the ones I need. 

The panels at the rear of the Hasegawa Lancaster sort of converge towards the tail section from the vertical panel line before the third to last fuselage window (see below). However, looking at the Airfix instructions, I can't tell if the panel lines do the same. I've marked the lines I'm interested in with red lines on the second image below. Can anyone take a look at their new tool Lanc and confirm? Maybe snap a photo? 

meWSYn5h.jpg

9ERazzJh.png

• Like 1

Actually, some of the panel lines slant up towards the rear of the aircraft from the window 5th back from the end of the fuselage (panels in red note where the convergence begins). Or just forward of the turret in the instructions image above. I assume the panels slant from the vertical panel line (marked in orange) on the Airfix kit? 

pdlPrfXh.jpg

Edited by Magua87
  • Like 1

Well, the lock-down is helping with the Lancaster's progression. 

First off, some surgery to the nose transparency led to this. The Lanc' I'm building didn't have a floor window, so this has been glued into place, the gaps super glued, and sanded back. 

lGgYvpMl.jpge8dTE24l.jpg

Having been following the Lancaster STGB I'd noticed how empty the wheel wells are in the Airfix kit. Beyond the blanks I had placed forward and aft, there's only a bit of sidewall detail.

yKsynGVh.jpg

This was rectified with plastic card.

yNLdlPth.jpgMPCje38h.jpg

PW7BtUTh.jpgCZ3aq1nh.jpg

I've also whipped up some oil tanks that will sit below the blank I've added at the front of the wheel well. I'll dull these down a bit with a wash of some sort soon. 

TpiXemxh.jpg

I was tempted to start spraying the wells tomorrow, but I don't really have the right paint. I think I'll wait until this is over, when I can visit my LHS and get the paint I need (rubber black). 

Edited by Magua87
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Magua87 said:

Well, the lock-down is helping with the Lancaster's progression. 

I was tempted to start spraying the wells tomorrow, but I don't really have the right paint. I think I'll wait until this is over, when I can visit my LHS and get the paint I need (rubber black). 

can you order from them on-line? they may be grateful of the business

rgds

John(shortCummins)

2 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

can you order from them on-line? they may be grateful of the business

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Good idea, but unfortunately not. We're on full lock-down here in NZ. Essential businesses open only. 

• 2 weeks later...

With all this time on my hands during lockdown, I committed to some more improvements to the Lancaster wings. Having improved the wheel bays, the radiator(?) flap up front of the nacelle looked out of place. It's not even a flap on the Airfix kit.

Out came the masking tape and drill, some plastic card, Tamiya Extra Thin, and the super glue. 

VkUrEfyh.jpg

5FxlolWh.jpg

On went the paint.

hKevOxmh.jpg

And some flaps were cut from plastic card and glue and sanded to fit.

tj8YX2Ph.jpg

I also noticed that the engine exhausts needed a bit of work to look a bit more authentic.

Before

gllIDyjh.jpg

After

hGDLfmoh.jpg

And painted with a test fit with my exhausts. Looking much better. 

BCJ54yGh.jpg

We're getting there. I don't think I'm going to bother cutting out slots in the wing tips for clear lights (but who knows, this may bug me until I bite the bullet). Hoping to fettle the wing joins so they're a snug (or snugger) fit to the fuselage and get some paint on the wings this weekend. 

8z7dDf4h.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Lockdown progress. 

First; two steps forward, one step back. Having been following the Lancaster STGB I've seen a few comments about the angle of the outboard engines (for various kits). I decided to check my engines and ... oh my. So off came the outboard engines and plastic card was added, along with super glue, milliput and brushed on primer. 

rtiFkkFh.jpg 

T18Oi6vh.jpg

Much better.

OgevHvwh.jpg

Meanwhile, the scribing continues on the fuselage. 

oaHiDVth.jpg

FR7tHvGh.jpg

And most importantly, paint! Finally! Note to self, use a grey primer or paint over the white plastic card and filler before trying to overspray with a different shade of white. 

ZwFraZlh.jpgQzDZfElh.jpg

I've got some touch ups to do and some more paint to buy. The scribing looks good and there's not too much to fix up. Might be a wee while before I can get the airbrush out again, but I'm happy with the progress. 

• Like 4