SAAF Kittyhawk (P-40K)

Hi everyone,

What a great amount of participation this group build has drawn! Because of that, I decided to do another build myself.

I'm still busy with the Maryland, but will start with this one in a couple of weeks.

And this is what I will be building.

Update1_0069_zpsu6g2ybzd.jpg

Coincidently I have two decals sheets for this subject, and will see which one looks the best.

And sprue shots

Update1_0097_zps7i9yi2ob.jpg

Decals

Update1_0098_zpsdo8ljy0f.jpg

Instructions

Update1_0099_zpspujuxnoc.jpg

I'm planning to do it 100% OOB, and not any detail in order for it to be a quicker build than the Maryland.

Like I said, I'll start in a few weeks, probably when I'm at the main painting stage of the Maryland which will leave some spare time for this.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 7

I look forward to seeing this one done Jimmy,......a very nice choice! 

I did one of these using the Sword kit, here is the real aircraft if it helps,......especially with the shape of the `Africa' shaped nose art;

4f6092e636c01_large.jpg  

this `may' be th same aircraft?;

HS63.jpg.opt836x714o0,0s836x714.jpg

and if it helps,.....here is my model, made from the Sword kit,......although it is often described as a Mk.III (P-40K), this a/c was actually a late Mk.Ia (P-40E) with the additional fin strake for added directional stability which was eventually cured with the longer fuselage.

Kitty%20SAAF-3_zpszn38dwro.jpg

(I will gladly delete this post if you like!)

Good luck and all the best mate,

Tony

• Like 3

Should be good Jimmy. :popcorn:

I don't know what your second set of decals are like, but in my limited experience of 1990s Revell 'Super Decals' they are certainly not (super, that is)!  Mine have always seemed to be very thick and prone to silvering...

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 7:51 PM, tonyot said:

I did one of these using the Sword kit, here is the real aircraft if it helps,......especially with the shape of the `Africa' shaped nose art;

this `may' be th same aircraft?;

and if it helps,.....here is my model, made from the Sword kit,......although it is often described as a Mk.III (P-40K), this a/c was actually a late Mk.Ia (P-40E) with the additional fin strake for added directional stability which was eventually cured with the longer fuselage.

(I will gladly delete this post if you like!)

Good luck and all the best mate,

Tony

Hi Tony, no please don't delete :) Thanks for the pictures, they belong here.

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Should be good Jimmy. :popcorn:

I don't know what your second set of decals are like, but in my limited experience of 1990s Revell 'Super Decals' they are certainly not (super, that is)!  Mine have always seemed to be very thick and prone to silvering...

Thanks for the tip! I'll probably use the other sheet then. I'll test it first though to make sure it's OK.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 2

On 27/09/2016 at 6:51 PM, tonyot said:

Great pictures Tony, thank you!

By any chance do you have more?

Cheers

Paolo

• Like 1

Aaaaaand I'm off to a start!

While waiting for the surface primer on the Maryland to dry for sanding, I thought I'd start off with my P-40.

Firstly, here is a snap of the other decal sheet I mentioned. I have never used this brand, so I don't know the quality. Curious though, the "Africa" nose-art is orange here, and red on the Revell decals....hrrmmmmm

Update2_0101_zpsicit5ccc.jpg

I started off with the cockpit, and here it is painted and assembled. I only added basic seat belts made from foil. I said I am not going to add extra detail to this one, and I'll stick to that.

Update2_0102_zpsev4uoeo3.jpg

Here I glued the cockpit base to the fuselage half before closing it up. I painted "stuff" on the cockpit sides to look like there is something, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it.

Update2_0103_zpsj0abpae5.jpg

And the fuselage is closed.

Update2_0104_zpsuy4sngpo.jpg

Next up was the wing halves, and I glued them after painting the gear bay.

Update2_0105_zpsztfonmc4.jpg

Good progress for a day I think.

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
  • Like 3

The Semily kit was, and clearly is, very good for its time. 

Nicely recessed panel

lines and I think for a while the only decent P40 K in 1/72.

I hadn't realised Revell reboxed it.

Great progress for one day! Very good pictures from Tonyot.

I can't help thinking that the aftermarket decal sheet you have looks more reliable Jimmy.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony!

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Quick progress Jimmy, seat belts look great ..... Foil you say... 🤔

Rob

Yep normal kitchen foil, which I painted a brown/beige color. Works better than tape (which is what I used before) since it can shape.

I wanted to finish gluing the wings today, but that was not to be. I did smooth the joins, and then painted over the join with silver to show any areas that need more work.

Update3_0103_zpsvpikfg0z.jpg

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
Forgot to insert photo
  • Like 3

I had always assumed that this kit originated with Vista, who also produced the much traveled 1/72 Fairey Fulmar that both Airfix and Revell have boxed.

I built the P-40 from the Revell box and used these Almark decals, but it was a goodly number of years ago.

John

Looking forward to this one Jimmy, I'd go with the Almark decs if you're doubtful about the Revell ones, having said that, my first build back in the hobby, 12+ years ago now was a Revell Mustang & the decals were great to use & no silvering, straight onto matt paint, I hadn't found out about glossing b4 hand then. Keep in mind too, Almarks in my experience are printed on one sheet & reward careful trimming. You takes your pick..... :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Since I have been mostly working on the Maryland, I didn't have time for the P-40 this week, but today I glued the wings onto the fuselage.

Update4_0120_zpsmmfv4ddf.jpg

I must say that I had to do a lot of sanding and fitting to get it to fit. I'm going to need some PPP at the wing root joins for sure.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 6

I've run out of 'likes'.

There's a lot to like on BritModeller. :) 

Great to see the wings on Jimmy. A bit of PPP and all will be fine. It's going to make a very nice companion to the Maryland :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Hi all,

And another tiny update (gotta post proper updates soon!)

I removed the masking (since the glue is good and dry) and painted some surface primer along the joins, to sand smooth later.

Update5_0116_zpsypyrg4z2.jpg

That's all folks, have a good evening.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 4

I seem to only work on the P-40 when I am waiting for something to dry on my Maryland. Ah well, no matter.

I managed to glue the tailplane. It would also need some filling for the gaps.

Update6_0117_zpsam6e67rm.jpg

Almost ready for some paint!

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
spelling error
  • Like 4

Hi all,

I've managed some minor prep work on the P-40. I decided to drill holes into the gun barrels, and then this happened...one of them broke off :rant:

Update7_0109_zps0nrx9xth.jpg

It was unfortunately lost to the carpet monster. So instead of trying to scratch build a replacement, I thought I'd just replace all 6 barrels with hypodermic needles.

So first I had to cut them all off

Update7_0110_zpslwglkqtp.jpg

And the drill holes for the needles. This time it went better. I'll glue the needles later, else I'll probably just knock them off or skew

Update7_0111_zpsvtvrgnvd.jpg

I believe it's ready for some paint now, so I'll start by mixing myself some Azure blue for the underside.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 4

I had some time to work on the Kittyhawk as well tonight, and made some progress.

Not sure what happened with this photo as the color looks weird. Finished painting the underside.

Update8_0139_zpsgbjua7zz.jpg

Then masked off the demarcation lines.

Update8_0140_zpsbikseicg.jpg

And it's ready for the uppers

Update8_0141_zpsqmn2ygry.jpg

I should start with it over the weekend.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 2