Yom Kippur War...1/48 MiG-21F-13 "Black Ravens" Egypt Airforce

Reini78

#27/2016

So, here´s the first finished model for our Yom Kippur collection.

Trumpeter kit with Aztec decals, initially wanted to use the Pavla SK-1 seat but it didn´t fit well (was also too short) so my dad used the kit seat, only stole the seatbelts from an Eduard kit. Added the missing IFF antenna on the belly with plastic rods. Camo done with Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan and XF-58 Olice Green, underside colour was an older selfmix. Couldn´t exactly tell which colour the cockpit had. Decided for the colourful turquoise, mixed 50:50 with Gunze H25 Sky Blue and H46 Emerald Green.

The model shows an a/c of the Egypt elite No.26 Squadron which was considered the best dogfighter unit in the EAF. This aircraft made it through the Six Day War and the Yom Kippur War.
The Arab airforces still used this older MiG-21 type becuase the Atoll rockets were unreliable and the F-13 30mm gun was more potent than the 23mm gun of the other MiG-21 types.

DSC_0001_zpsgn4aoxgy.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsmsuxp7yy.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsofl9mujs.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsufsega3t.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsbl89kusg.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsrbnnprrs.jpg

DSC_0007_zps6ty8cyqu.jpg

DSC_0008_zps5mudqg3m.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsu2f33ffr.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsclidwxum.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsfwxhzrsa.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsnx3uad8p.jpg

DSC_0013_zps0dzyjnam.jpg

DSC_0014_zpstsw85w93.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsa88lhqum.jpg

DSC_0016_zps8g5o6ycl.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsmu1yohha.jpg

DSC_0019_zpscri9jg6d.jpg

DSC_0020_zpssrh3yjbe.jpg

DSC_0021_zpslcrnh0t7.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsyxgortmc.jpg

DSC_0001_zpskrl7tlhx.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsrzeunzcf.jpg

• Like 25

15 minutes ago, exdraken said:

1 question:

are you sure about the turqoise cockpit color on F-13s? usually they where dark grey.

as far as I´ve read the F-13 had both, some still the grey pit and some already the turquoise one

on one old colour pic of this a/c the cockpit looks more greyish, as much as you can see, but the colour tones on this pics often look slightly different.....nevertheless, as I´ve mentioned, my dad decided for the turq., also it looks better :)

Concerning the upcoming Su-7, this one will get a grey cockpit.

Edited by Reini78
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reini78 said:

as far as I´ve read the F-13 had both, some still the grey pit and some already the turquoise one

on one old colour pic of this a/c the cockpit looks more greyish, as much as you can see, but the colour tones on this pics often look slightly different.....nevertheless, as I´ve mentioned, my dad decided for the turq.

I think the cockpit colour depends on when (grey early, Turquiose later) , and  where the plane was built,  quite a lot of Arab MiG's were Czech built, IIRC from the Arab MiG books.

• Like 1

Forgot to say what a neat build this is... :goodjob: 

I got interested in Suez, got Arab  MiG's volume and got interested in Arab jet use...

Don't know why Eduard have not done an  MiG-21 F-13,  AFAIK they need a new fuselage and some other bits to got with the PF wing.

The Trumpy kit looks good until you look closely,  fine for the non-obsessed,  but having got  one, and compared the wing panelling (for example) just about every panel line is wrong.... even though the Chinese  actually build them  under licence!

Interesting thread here on Korean war MiG-15 colours where the Arab MiG's author says the Israeli's found later Mig camo was 'the same' as BSC colours...

the initial camouflaging of the Arab jets that survived Operation Moked  (preliminary air strike in the 6 day war in 1967 see here http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=0) were hastily camouflaged with car paint..

Above and bellow: immediately after the Six Day War the Egyptians started camouflaging their MiGs - a late measure, proposed several times already before the catastrophe of the 5 June 1967. In emergency, and lacking other suitable colours, the Egyptians used a stock from a car factory at Hulwan! This early camouflage pattern was later to become known - albeit in a modified form - as "Nile Valley". It consisted of Sand, Black, and Light Grey colours. Serials were still applied, albeit not as prominently as before, and unit insignia completely disappeared: after all, innitially after the Six Day War all the surviving aircraft and pilots were concentrated within two "Big Squadrons", and only slowly through 1968 were the old units re-established.

see here for more http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=209&Itemid=0

hope of interest

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Reini,

Not only does this MiG look really good, it's also, as other have said, something different from the silver ones that were so ubiquitous. Moreover, though I've seen pictures of this unit and this camouflage before, but never understood the context or knew of the importance of the squadron - so thanks for including that in your post - I've learnt something today.

Jay

• Like 1

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

very nice MiG-21 F-13!

1 question:

are you sure about the turqoise cockpit color on F-13s? usually they where dark grey.

however,

very niceyly executed!

Well, he can always change it of course after the kit is finished...... :banghead::banghead:

by the way,

great that you used and brought to my memory the  Aztec decals! their crow/raven looks like the one on availbale photos. There is also the decals from Print scale http://www.printscale.org/product_453.html

with a slightliy different bird representation that kept me from buying them!

about the cockpit colour again, no offence intended just interest on why you chose turquoise . thanks for the explanation :)

• Like 1