Saab J-35OE Draken - Eduard 1/48

Oriskany

Hello everyone!

I present you my next project, an Austrian Saab J-35OE Draken from Eduard box.

I plan to build the model during the evenings on my local club with support of my more experienced modeller friends.

There is all the necessary stuff in the box, but i found and bought also an Aires cockpit set, and i'll need also of a pair of correct wing pilons and a couple of AIM-9J/P missiles.

I would like to represent the aircraft with down flaps and cockpit open if i will be able to do it.
As reference i'll use the nice book from Warpaint series.

Here the box and its content, plus Aires set
DSCN2254.jpg

DSCN2255.jpg

DSCN2256.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

DSCN2258.jpg

see you soon with first update, if you have suggestion about the kit or Austrian Drakens please post it, a virtual beer is ready to be offer(yes,i know, a real one is better:D)

• Like 6

Hi!

I don't know the instructions from the Eduard kit, but most painting instrcutions have two things wrong about Austrian Drakens:

The cokpit interior is light grey. i don't know which FS or RAL or whatever number would be correct. If you do a picture search for "Austrian Draken cockpit" you will find many pictures.

The second is the landing gear. mostly it is given as silver in the instructions, but some parts are painted dark green. Here is a walkaround, where you can see what I mean. I don't know  a color reference for that either :-(

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/j35_mkii_draken/index.php?Page=2

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 1

The colours of the landing gear varied from user to user so check your references. As far as I remember at least two users had mainly green landing gear with some natural metal shades on various parts.

Note that flaps would not be dropped on a Draken unless the power is on and the pilot is operating the stick. 

I wonder why you bought an Aires cockpit and new wing pylons for this kit as all the necessary parts are included in the kit.

Jens

3 hours ago, Jens said:

I wonder why you bought an Aires cockpit and new wing pylons for this kit as all the necessary parts are included in the kit.

Jens

the Aires cokpit is definitely nice.... but considey Eduard wnet the extra mile to include a dedicated grey Austrian IP in this version it probably superflous.... but you could always use int on another Draken build  :) (Dragon Knights and Ostarrichi schemes are colorful alternatives....)

concerning the pylons, there are NO correct pylons for wing mounted Sidewinders in any 1/48 Draken kit as of now (Jens, Danish Drakens are a different story altogether...)....  and there are non available elsewere... Maestro Models will do some in the future hopefully! of course you could modify the pylons provided in mixing the launch rail with a reshaped Falcon pylon....

5 hours ago, Delayar said:

Hi!

I don't know the instructions from the Eduard kit, but most painting instrcutions have two things wrong about Austrian Drakens:

The cokpit interior is light grey. i don't know which FS or RAL or whatever number would be correct. If you do a picture search for "Austrian Draken cockpit" you will find many pictures.

The second is the landing gear. mostly it is given as silver in the instructions, but some parts are painted dark green. Here is a walkaround, where you can see what I mean. I don't know  a color reference for that either :-(

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/j35_mkii_draken/index.php?Page=2

Cheers,

Markus

from above link: landing gear picture: that is typical for an Austrian Draken like this ;) , so some kind of green on the main landing gear strut

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/j35_mkii_draken/images/j35_mkii_draken_22_of_39.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks to your replies!

@Delayar: as Exdraken wrote, the new Eduard instructions recomends the correct light grey for cockpit of markings C (austrian J-35OE 2003) and there is double instrument panels on PE sheet: grey for austrian Draken and green for the Others (Sweden, Finland and Denmark).

@Jens: i bought Aires set because it's nice and cheaper (9 euros), so i can use Eduard resin parts for another Draken (Finland, Denmark ?). The set is dedicated at austrian version and has correct details.

In my reference there are some pics of  Draken with flap down and without pilot on the seat. Probably they were depicted during pre-flight controls with external auxiliary unit in function, but if it's incorrect i'll use normal position.

@Exdraken: thanks for confirms about austrian specifics, the kit has also the correct RWR antenna on the top of the tail fin.

For the austrian pilons i think to scratch build them using parts M3 and N2.

Edited by Oriskany

Hello,

there's an error in Eduard guide, use appropriate parts behind the canopy - A3/A4/B1 instead of A1/A2 and 2xN1.

10070228z.jpg

And to Aires cockpit - good choice, I replaced it too, it looks much better than original cockpit even updated with Edu stuff.

Thank you very much Mess, i checked my references, you are right, parts A2/A1 and 2x/N1 are the bigger air intakes of  the later swedish F/J model and danish and finnish aircrafts.

The austrian planes are all ex-swedish D model with small air intake only on the left side ;)

On 2016-09-27 at 0:12 PM, Jens said:

Note that flaps would not be dropped on a Draken unless the power is on and the pilot is operating the stick. 

Jens

Can't say I agree with you there Jens.

Of all pictures of Drakens (and Viggens & Gripens too) that are parked and at rest with engine shutdown always shows the flaperon and aileron drooping.

I think it's a SAAB feature :rolleyes:

With that said, I can't wait to see the start of this build!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Can't say I agree with you there Jens.

Of all pictures of Drakens (and Viggens & Gripens too) that are parked and at rest with engine shutdown always shows the flaperon and aileron drooping.

I think it's a SAAB feature :rolleyes:

With that said, I can't wait to see the start of this build!

Yes that's correct.
When powered down, the hydraulic pressure went down and the control surfaces always dropped.

/Johan

• Like 1

Just a note concerning the PE IP´s in the Eduard box. The green one is really only accurate for the Danish radar-less Draken. The Swedish and Finnish Drakens had pretty much the same IP as the Austrian, but green instead of gray.

/E

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Erik_G said:

Just a note concerning the PE IP´s in the Eduard box. The green one is really only accurate for the Danish radar-less Draken. The Swedish and Finnish Drakens had pretty much the same IP as the Austrian, but green instead of gray.

/E

Yes, that is a big issue if you want to make a Swedish or Finnish bird from this kit. Eduard hasn't made their homework have they?

This is quite strange since they have the (more or less) correct IP as a separate PE set already.

/Johan

• Like 1

On 2016-09-27 at 0:12 PM, Jens said:

The colours of the landing gear varied from user to user so check your references. As far as I remember at least two users had mainly green landing gear with some natural metal shades on various parts.

Jens

All Swedish, Austrian and Finnish 35F/C had green landing gears while all Danish F, RF, TF-35 and Finnish-built 35FS had white landing gears. (Parts of the landing gears were natural metal on both versions.)

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone  for the precious informations!!

For the dropped control surfaces, i'm thinking if buy a dedicate AM set or make the modifications by myself.

Regarding IP panel, i'm using a mix of  Aires resin parts and Eduard PE to have the correct configuration.

I started work on my Draken

First of all, i cut and modified the upper fuselage to insert resin cockpit.

It was a delicate work but not very difficult, the resin parts fits very well and work of sanding was limited.

DSCN2275.jpg

DSCN2276.jpg

DSCN2277.jpg

A dry test with the two fuselage parts is really positive

DSCN2279.jpg

DSCN2280.jpg

Here the three resin parts of cockpit  ready to be Painted

DSCN2282.jpg

Next step will be assembling of the IP panel mixing resin and PE parts;)

• Like 4

Studying the kit, i found these raised details on the base of the three small fins under wings...
i can't see them on the real Draken, so i'm thinking to eliminate them....what do you think about?

DSCN2283.jpg

I found also another issue on the instructions; Eduard forgot to indicate parts D1 and D2 on the tail, just under the exhaust, specific for austrian version

1 hour ago, Oriskany said:

Studying the kit, i found these raised details on the base of the three small fins under wings...
i can't see them on the real Draken, so i'm thinking to eliminate them....what do you think about?

DSCN2283.jpg

I guess you are right in that this detail is first not that pronounced, and second, part of the small fins:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/j35_mkii_draken/images/j35_mkii_draken_34_of_39.jpg

I'd sand it  a little maybe if you are concerned!

by the way, great work on fitting the cockpit!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Hello Oriskany!

Some more info about the flaps and flaperons:

After engine shut-down the hydraulic pressure is lost. The control surfaces won't "drop down" but it takes several minutes before they reach the full down position. This is why you might see a photo of a parked Draken with control surfaces still up. Of course it is also possible that the ground power is on running the hydraulics. After shut-down also the auxiliary generator (in Finland we called it "Milla") fell open. It really came down crashing: during flight you could hear that terrible noise.

For a Finnish Draken you can use Humbrol paints 78, 86 and 88 together with RLM 02 for cockpit interior. Almost every panel was different shade of green. I've seen landing gear components that were painted with a green (RLM 02) and with underside blue-grey. I have never seen white landing gear parts in Finnish Drakens.

You are making very nice progress with the kit!

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 3