1/72 Airfix Beaufighter TF10 - Operation Firedog ****COMPLETED****

SimonL

I have a few partially completed kits sitting on the shelf, but I am having a few problems getting up the enthusiasm to finish them off. So I thought I would turn to a very recent arrival in my stash, the second boxing of the new Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter. I enjoyed my first go the first boxing of these back in June ( see here), so I hope this will help me get my mojo back in time for the long stint of leave coming up.

Box top:

IMG_20160926_165127_zpsevkbb0pw.jpg

I will be building this colour scheme - I love the combination of black and medium grey:

IMG_20160926_165241_zpsitfbwq2s.jpg

As far as the extra parts are concerned they are all on one new sprue:

IMG_20160926_165117_zpsj6lmrxgd.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 11

Ok, my first question - cockpit colour. Would it be the grey/green colour as used during WWII or would it be some other colour (black?) for a later model Beaufighter? Instructions would suggest grey/green.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy to post images, so here are the shots of where I am up to so far.

Got straight down to gluing things - and stuffed up immediately by glueing in place the wrong rear wheel. Had to hoick it out and glue in the appropriate piece. Note to self  - follow the instructions. Still, managed to get quite a bit done.

9C79812D-0641-415A-BCCA-8F421077F01E_zps

4063FFD7-FDBF-4A47-A702-1CFE7AF4AE84_zps

I painted the cockpit and inside the fuselage with grey-green with Tamiya Acrylic XF71 with the backrests of the seats being painted with red-brown Tamiya acrylic (recipe long gone) and some detail painting with Italeri Acryl Flat Black. Instrument panel was painted with Tamiya Acrylic X1 Gloss Black before applying the decal.

D35777FE-649E-4F44-AA46-C8D09C5D73BB_zps

E4E96B8F-5730-4516-B059-713F039E39F2_zps

Tyres and props were painted with Tamiya Acrylic XF69 NATO Black, with the wheel hubs in Tamiya Acrylic XF16 Flat Aluminium. I assembled the engines then painted them Tamiya Acrylic X1 Gloss Black, dry brushed with XF16 and then given a thin wash of Italeri Flat Black.

3DECCFBA-1B0C-44C2-AE1F-05A545F1411B_zps

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 9

Married men all over the world know what those are Martin... ;) :D

• Like 1

I was thinking about sticking a Beau on my Christmas list to Santa. 

I'll taking a close interest into this.

looking good so far. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice start Simon. I was looking at one of these in my local shop which has (finally! ) got some of the new releases in... Very keen on it, but I should build the boxing I have first I suppose....

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I turn my back and the model is almost buttoned up! Impressive to watch fast builders at work.

A question: the Tamiya XF71 you use for the interior, is it the Mitsubishi interior green? I am still looking for a RAF interior green I feel happy with, but using the XF71 never actually crossed my mind! Doh... It does actually look rather good, even for a non-British.

I am furthermore impressed, no, in awe of someone like you who uses a few dozens shades of black!!!!

Beautiful work so far!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lapin said:

Married men all over the world know what those are Martin... ;) :D

:lol:

4 hours ago, Lapin said:

I was thinking about sticking a Beau on my Christmas list to Santa. 

I'll taking a close interest into this.

looking good so far. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice start Simon. I was looking at one of these in my local shop which has (finally! ) got some of the new releases in... Very keen on it, but I should build the boxing I have first I suppose....

Rob

I would - can't hurt.

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

I'm in here either way. Greetings from Germany.

Welcome!

3 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Dunno if that's just a quirk of the photo, but the raised rings on the wheel hubs that the pins on the undercarriage units fit into look well off-centre. That could be awkward later during construction.

Quirk of the photo, was rather quick in taking it. Believe me, they are properly centred.

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I just found this Simon. Hope it's ok to take a seat at the back?

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

Absolutely.

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Simon,

I turn my back and the model is almost buttoned up! Impressive to watch fast builders at work.

A question: the Tamiya XF71 you use for the interior, is it the Mitsubishi interior green? I am still looking for a RAF interior green I feel happy with, but using the XF71 never actually crossed my mind! Doh... It does actually look rather good, even for a non-British.

I am furthermore impressed, no, in awe of someone like you who uses a few dozens shades of black!!!!

Beautiful work so far!

Keep having fun!

JR

Thanks JR.

The bottle says IJN interior green. I can't remember where I got the advice to use it for the interior of British aircraft, as I have used it for ages. I think it was recommended in the instructions for the Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire, but that was well after I started using it.

• Like 1

Almost ready to close her up. Some light dry brushing with medium grey acrylic (Tamiya XF20) on any black painted instrument panels. Interior parts treated to a wash of raw umber acrylic diluted in floor polish. Seat belts approximated with some masking tape.

8C687774-2843-4702-913E-E71285F847A7_zps

887AB32E-FC74-4DD9-A16D-712A764F3C49_zps

821BF01D-573E-4749-9940-10E3893D2226_zps

Started to glue the rockets and external fuel together, as well as the exhausts.

E5984744-AFDE-40DB-82AD-F22587FE6401_zps

Then it was time to glue the fuselage together

E74CDA66-EF03-4244-BF2A-2E4D080AFA7D_zps

Glueing in the innards, needed some pegs to keep things in place

708D4302-DD3B-48B9-AF86-92D5A49B04AF_zps

Wings and other bits on.

C47516E1-8C4F-4B04-98A3-6DF7245A18F7_zps

• Like 10