Macho Mustang...1/48 F-51 in Guatemala COIN service

Reini78

Fuselage and wings glued together, as mentioned filled/smoothed down the panel lines on the wings to replicate the filled and sealed original, but, as mentioned before, can´t tell if these 60ies Mustangs still had filler and sealing after that many years of service. Filled a bit the panel lines on the tail too because when you look at original ones the panels look very smooth.

DSC_0008_zpsxahs9gv4.jpg

DSC_0012_zpstgcoduj2.jpg

Hasegawa kits often provide "fun" little parts....the gun nozzles were all single itsy bitsy tiny parts.

DSC_0009_zpsgmjx7wpf.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one, but don't use the Aztec colour chart. It is inaccurate. Research this well - there are many sources on line - and you will get a great machine. I attempted on of these in 1/72 although I was not as skilled then. I might do it again.

You will need at least the red/white weapons panel decal and the unit badge. He is a shot of FAG315 from Dan Hagedorn's book plus a couple of other images.

f51FAG315_zps8epxkfs9.jpg

P-51D44-74902N38227ELP19743_zps0ovrmni7.

P-51D44-74902N38227ELP19742_zpseotku2gy.

Lovely machines!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
extra data
  • Like 1

Won´t follow the Aztec paint guide, gonna choose the colours with gut-feeling because, depending on used film, sunlight etc, the tones look different all the time. Saw the unit badge only on the US returned machines, not on active FAG ones like here

P-5120FAG20NI20camo201970-73_zpssqjfzpyo

P-5120FAG20NI20camo20en20vuelo201930-73_

• Like 1

first upper camo paint applied with Gunze H313 Yellow mixed with Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan

DSC_0001_zpswe2a8pwu.jpg

as seen on the original pics the camo overlaps the wing edges

DSC_0002_zpsbrhw0gep.jpg

Edited by Reini78
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...