Cold War Dust....

RMP2

No idea where I should really post this, but as I mainly have Cold War stuff, figured Id start here.... Spank me. :)

Ive finally picked up a glass doored cabinet with some lights in it to keep dust off the WIP bits as well as the finished stuff. Thing is - whats the best way to remove dust from models? I thought Id got it all off my Phantom and Lightning using a medium paint brush and some beer breath, but under the lights its clearly not done a good enough job.

De-dusting... how do you do it?

Picture for attention (thats what the cool kids do isnt it)

P1110184%20Large.jpg

I robber a blusher brush from my Mrs, gave it a good wash and that's soft enough

to remove most dust without damaging the model.

I also use the airbrush, clean and no paint to blast the dust from any tight areas

HTH

Dan

Ah, one of those big fat soft face brush things? Good plan. I shall speak to the boss/steal one.

Yep, airbrush is ready here too, its the brushing that had me wondering, think youve nailed it to be honest, cheers very much.

• Like 1

...also, here's probably many opinions on this, but personally I wouldn't store WIP builds in a large and lit cabinet, where they will attract dust.

I always keep the parts as they build up in the box they came in, and usually in the bags they came in, until built up.

If the box doesn't lend itself (ie Revell) I use other kit boxes that are just large enough to store the major components.

My long term (ie ran out of interest!) Tamiya F-84G major parts still sit in their original almost 20 year old bags and box and are as good as new.

Nice cabinet and contents though!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I use a slide film blower brush, in effect like a blusher brush but with wind behind it, this kind of thing https://www.amazon.com/Blower-Digital-Screens-Cleaning-Keyboards/dp/B00LV01BT2

Washing is ok on some of my more basic models, but dodgy on subjects with aerials etc

Youre a star, Sir.
After I clicked the link I realised I have one of those and Ive just been puffin n brushin away at the real old ones. Sure, Ive blown some non sealed 20 year old decals off some rally cars, but it doesnt half shift the dust too. :)

Thanks very much for giving my memory a kick up the bootocks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

...also, here's probably many opinions on this, but personally I wouldn't store WIP builds in a large and lit cabinet, where they will attract dust.

I always keep the parts as they build up in the box they came in, and usually in the bags they came in, until built up.

If the box doesn't lend itself (ie Revell) I use other kit boxes that are just large enough to store the major components.

My long term (ie ran out of interest!) Tamiya F-84G major parts still sit in their original almost 20 year old bags and box and are as good as new.

Nice cabinet and contents though!

Aye, but when they wont fit in the box, they go next best option, the smaller bits get the box.

I do see where you are coming from though. Box is always best.

15 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

And is that robot at the bottom of the cabinet a Cold War Warrior?:blush::P

DennisTheBear

Ah, that little bugger is worth a few quid, its the puppet version of a rather rare Japanese Honda dealership car option thing. I may own a classic Honda, but I dont do the rice thing - that little fella is an investment for the JDM whores. Need to look after him and his tags. ;)

3 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

Could be made into a great Cold War Turns Hot Whif diorama though. Small scale Soviet airfield, stick a few rockets on its arms.....

I'll get my coat...

DennisTheBear

Hey, I have the rocket pods for East or West. 1/48 though. would be a bit dinky on him. Need to think 1/32 or 1/24 ideally. :)

10 hours ago, goose said:

Blusher brush works for me mine aren't in cabinet 

Cheers, the camera puffer brush is doing a great job. Sends the dogs a bit mad with its wheezing sound though - a pair of high speed Airedales are not a good thing for models.... :)