1/72 AH-1S Cobra

Hello everyone,

This helicopter was originally to be painted in desert sand but I wanted to make the US Army version which is a very dark green that almost looks like dark grey, sometimes even black. After such attempt that including shading for what I later learnt was moisture, I decided to paint the helicopter black again and put on the Israeli livery.CIMG2764.jpg

CIMG2762.jpg

CIMG2761.jpg

CIMG2760.jpg

Brush painted, lots of trials and errors on it.

• Like 4

I think the color you were originally aiming for is US Army Helo Drab (FS 34031). Sadly, I know of only Model Master which produces it in Acryl (and those paints are hard to find outside the US and not particularly easy to airbrush with).

I have used Tamiya's Khaki Drab (XF-51) as a very close substitute (especially since Helo Drab tends to fade towards green).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phantome said:

I have used Tamiya's Khaki Drab (XF-51) as a very close substitute (especially since Helo Drab tends to fade towards green).

Thanks for the tip. I'll go for the Khaki Drab next time.

11 hours ago, Phantome said:

Correction, Hakata now produces that color too

http://hataka-hobby.com/products/us-army-helicopter-drab/

I thought it was a Japanese company but it's Polish. 

4 hours ago, celt said:

Nice job on the Cobra,hope it was easier to put together than the Italeri one you did recently.:clap2::clap2:

Oh yeah. Absolutely flawless fit. I only sanded to make thinner the plate that holds the upper wire-cutter.

In the meantime, I discovered this website...

http://ipmsrealcote.pro-forums.org/t832-tamiya-mixes-for-some-fs-colors-full-up-to-date-list-in-english

Although it doesn't have FS 34031.

Also, I'll soon build a Marines Chinook that makes reference to a Mr. Hobby green color that is not FS 34031 so it must be a pre-FS 34031 scheme.

Thank you for your likes and comments!

20 hours ago, AlbertoYagi said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll go for the Khaki Drab next time.

I thought it was a Japanese company but it's Polish. 

Oh yeah. Absolutely flawless fit. I only sanded to make thinner the plate that holds the upper wire-cutter.

In the meantime, I discovered this website...

http://ipmsrealcote.pro-forums.org/t832-tamiya-mixes-for-some-fs-colors-full-up-to-date-list-in-english

Although it doesn't have FS 34031.

Also, I'll soon build a Marines Chinook that makes reference to a Mr. Hobby green color that is not FS 34031 so it must be a pre-FS 34031 scheme.

Thank you for your likes and comments!

It does not help that I mispelled Hataka as Hakata :P

US Army Helo Drab was first used (someone correct me if I'm wrong) in the late 70s/early 80s. Before that, helicopters were painted olive drab. Note that olive drab has changed over the years in US usage and the particular shade used around the Vietnam War is somewhat different (to my eyes greener) than the one used in WW2, or used today.

Helo Drab is definitely one of those colors that is really hard to capture properly as depending on the lighting or the fading of the aircraft, can look like a dark gray or a dark green. The plus side to this is that there's leeway to get it wrong and nobody will really notice or care. ;)

• Like 1

On 26/9/2016 at 1:49 AM, Phantome said:

Hello Phantome,

I bought the XF-51. It was actually a really old 23 ml bottle but I must say that I didn't like the color. I had to get it off quickly with my own toothbrush and I then painted the Apache in XF-62 Olive Drab as the instructions call for. It may not be accurate but I don't mind so much. Besides, gotta practice some economy on all these paints. I've bought more Tamiya acrylics than anything else just to learn that they're not really made for brush painting.

KIMG1156.jpg

Problem with Tamiya acrlyics is the roll up and I'm sort of experiencing it with the enamels as well, at least while they're thinned enough to brush on properly. Probably have to switch to Mr. Hobby lacquer which is maybe the best of both worlds (can clean with water as acrylics and is "hot", not "cold", as enamels).

Tamiya paints are not meant for brush painting, only airbrushing (same with Gunze, although they're a wee bit more manageable). Some people have tried with paint retarder in order to avoid buildup but I don't think it's feasible. Among the mainstream paints, I'd say only Vallejo (Model Color) is truly good at brush painting and that also depends on the color (darker ones are ok, but brush painting whites or yellows is a pain).

• Like 1

For brush painting , revell aqua range are simply superb and I say this after using pretty much every acrylic brand out there .  I do all my interior painting , wheels , weapons  with brush and revell is the paint of choice. I have even painted relatively small exterior parts (like say the black anti glare patches in front of cockpit or the nose cone of jets ) with brush and you simply cannot tell the difference. 

Brush painting yellow , white and similar shades is a massive pain though - key is to do them over multiple coats. 

Tamiya is impossible to brush paint . Vallejo can be applied with brush but will require multiple coats and that makes it somewhat tedious .  

There is also a brand called agama which is not only cheap but very good and my limited experience with it suggests it can be applied with brush as well . I think this paint is only available at jaddarhobby  site. 

I have never tried this myself but I believe brush painting will be much easier if one purchases a primer spray can that is generally intended for automobile plastic parts and use it as a base coat . 

• Like 1

Well, thank you very much for your advice. Luckily, I remember seeing Vallejo and maybe Revell in a hobby department store in my city. And with this information, I'll be able to buy many of them confidently in one visit.

Just gotta use up a little more the paints I have and determine with detail the paints I'll need for my future projects. ...And stop buying the wrong paints, of course.