This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

depressed lemur

New York, what does it have to offer

Hi peeps, SWIMBO is looking to take me to New York next year as it is on her bucket list so I am looking for ideas. You know the things, museums, model shops etc. I have found out about the aircraft carrier, but access to the aircraft seems limited to taking photos from behind a wire and not walk round friendly. Anyone been before and what did you think?

We went last year and loved it, well I did the boss found it rather overpowering, we were only there for a couple of days so we were limited in what we could see, but we did the usual touristy things, Rockefeller centre (top of the rock), Manhatten guided tour, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Times Square, helicopter trip (definately recommended). We also visited the High Line which is a park on a disused elevated railway line.

If we went again I would love to visit the Empire State building, Grand Central Terminal, Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, USS Intrepid and do a proper tour of Central Park my daughter spent a day there with a tour guide and loved it.

Cheers

Dennis

Whilst most of the aircraft on the USS intrepid are behind wires, you can still get a lot of great shots - I was in New York in May of this year and visited the Intrepid whilst there - personally I took 195 pictures - and could have taken a lot more - the weather that day was awful (raining all day and when on the flight deck trying to take pics.......!)

Not only do you have the Intrepid, you also have the USS Growler, a Missile equipped submarine that you can go aboard, and a Concorde. There is also one of the Space Shuttles on the flight deck (however, you have to pay an additional fee for this if you wish to see it).

A great thing to visit is the High Line Park - this is a converted high level railway which is now a public park. It is a great way to see a large chunk of the west side of the city, and ends at the Hudson Railway Yard - which is about a 20 minute walk south of the Intrepid.

I would advise strongly to buy the weekly subway ticket though. It was about $31 each (plus $1 cost of a new metro card). it was certainly worth it as this is the easiest way of getting round the City.

Another thing we did was to visit the Rockerfeller Centre, and take a trip to the "top of the rock". 69 floors up - and the views are just fantastic - better than from the empire state!

DSCN2470.jpg

DSCN2464.jpg

DSCN2470.jpg

We also walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, visited Central Park, Times Square (but be warned - currently they are making this a pedestrian area so there may still be construction work going on when you visit). We also paid a remembrance visit to the site of the Twin Towers (which is my avatar picture at the moment). Whilst it was designed as a place of remembrance, it has turned into a tourist attraction, and there were so many people taking selfies and what I would term inappropriate pictures (mainly Asian tourist doing this though!!!!!!!).

We really enjoyed our trip and would visit again. But maybe stay further out and use the subway/LIRR to travel in.

Edited by treker_ed

Just a shame they had to get rid of the Scimitar and a number of other aircraft to fit the shuttle on the flight deck.  I'd also the boat trip round Manhattan, very interesting.

All the above.. I've been there for 4 holidays 70,71,05 and last year. Its my favourite city. The easiest city to get round without getting lost, the streets (horizontal) Avenues(vertical) Lower east side differs from that a bit but still OK.

You must, must go up the Empire State when its dark, took my breath away last year, couldn't believe the view at night. Empire State and Statue of Liberty, Broadway show ?? BOOK online. In fact anything bookable online will make sure you get to where you want to go. Book  early enough you'll be able to book the slots you want AND get in to the Statue. You won't get on unless you do (Happened to me last year) although you'll be able to get on Liberty Island .

Grand Central Station another must. Trains are great, run on time and plenty of depart times to pick from Maybe take a train up state, Albany even Niagara depending on time you've got. Cabs are great and not expensive. Take a train to Washington AMTRAK or Long Island (The Hamptons Rensemburg Airport, some USAF/ANG there) by LIRR or AMTRAK from Pennsylvania Central on 7th and 34th (east) Macey's is near there too, Madison Square Garden is built on top of the Station. 9/11 memorial is complete now and near to ferry for Liberty and Ellis Islands

You'll need to hammer the internet for all the info and maps you want so you'll hit the ground running to where is what and no time wasted . I had a note book with all the phone numbers addresses so I was good to go, had all the info I needed. Buy a map when you get there and one with CHEMISTS (Important) on it,I had a folding wipe clean plastic coated effort ,perfect. Get that anywhere. You could, I did,  get an up to date NYC Guide book in Smiths, more info before you get there (restaurants, museums, shops everything) and on hand when you get there.

I envy you going for the first time, magic place. Still get a buzz when I see the Empire State on the LIRR before the tunnel. You'll love it!

Edited by bzn20

Then there's always Old Rheinbeck airfield a train rdid and cab from Grand Central. Check when they have an airshow on, it's a brilliant place and one of the best little airshows i've been to. Had a Shuttleworth air to it.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, bzn20 said:

You must, must go up the Empire State when its dark, took my breath away last year, couldn't believe the view at night. Empire State and Statue of Liberty, Broadway show ?? BOOK online. In fact anything bookable online will make sure you get to where you want to go. Book  early enough you'll be able to book the slots you want AND get in to the Statue. You won't get on unless you do (Happened to me last year) although you'll be able to get on Liberty Island .

Also for a Broadway show there is the ticket office in Times Square with half price tickets. Most of the time you do have to queue to get these tickets, but last week my wife and I got there at 6 in the evening looked at the board to see what was available, which by luck had the show that we wanted to see and got 2 tickets with just a 5 minute wait rather than the hours that many people wait. we did look most nights at this time as there was no queue, and there were still many a show to see.

Also be careful when going down to get a boat to liberty island. If you get the subway down the South Ferry there are many people there waiting to sell you tickets for boats that sail around these islands rather than let you get off like the Statue ferry does, and it will cost you more. As you come out of the subway station turn to your left and head to Battery park and get a ticket from the fort there, much cheaper tickets and you can get off at Liberty and Ellis islands.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:38 PM, spitfire said:

We went last year and loved it, well I did the boss found it rather overpowering, we were only there for a couple of days so we were limited in what we could see, but we did the usual touristy things, Rockefeller centre (top of the rock), Manhatten guided tour, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Times Square, helicopter trip (definately recommended). We also visited the High Line which is a park on a disused elevated railway line.

If we went again I would love to visit the Empire State building, Grand Central Terminal, Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, USS Intrepid and do a proper tour of Central Park my daughter spent a day there with a tour guide and loved it.

Cheers

Dennis

Grand Central Terminal was my departure point for  the New Haven train alighting at Stamford CT during my first five weeks working in the US in 2007-8.  The ceiling of the main concourse is beautifully painted with the signs of the Zodiac.  I didn't really do the touristy thing at the time, but I must make the trip again before long I hope.

Not very good pictures but this should give you some idea of the helicopter trip.

Photo0140_zpstgpfmd7p.jpg

Photo0131_zpsdggsu6hb.jpg

Photo0135_zpsayhuhana.jpg

I think the helicopter trip has just been sold to me 😁. SWIMBO is looking at a show. Don't know about the rooftops as I have a bit of an issue with heights attached to the ground. Odd, but I always think a tall building will fall the moment I step on the top.

I'm sitting here note pad in hand so keep them coming.

Him that must do wot he's told (me) and she who must be obeyed (mrs) are off there at the end of October.

Tried to get there for our silver wedding  but life got in the way.

14 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Grand Central Terminal was my departure point for  the New Haven train alighting at Stamford CT during my first five weeks working in the US in 2007-8.  The ceiling of the main concourse is beautifully painted with the signs of the Zodiac.  I didn't really do the touristy thing at the time, but I must make the trip again before long I hope.

They recently finished  a complete refurb of the station, took years, cost millions and added another of the famous Marble staircases at one end that should have put there on the original build. They slapped a preservation order on it and many other buildings after the destruction of Penn Central ( Its still there but underground!) on 7th in the early 60s. Hell of a building like most of them in NYC. Wish I was going this month !

Edited by bzn20

OK more boring holiday snaps, first up is the Hi Line Park

2015%2006%20June%20New%20York%204_zpsfph

2015%2006%20June%20New%20York%207_zpsw50

It is like being in the movies, really blew me away

2015%2006%20June%20New%20York%2067_zps0k

Cheers

Dennis

59 minutes ago, spitfire said:

OK more boring holiday snaps, first up is the Hi Line Park

2015%2006%20June%20New%20York%204_zpsfph

2015%2006%20June%20New%20York%207_zpsw50

It is like being in the movies, really blew me away

2015%2006%20June%20New%20York%2067_zps0k

Cheers

Dennis

fantastic photos Dennis. SWIMBO is loving the NYPD pic.

Glad she liked it, my boss could not resist, I had to take this one

2015%20USA%20Trip%20Washington%20the%20W

It was parked outside of this building.2015%20USA%20Trip%20Washington%20the%20W

Cheers

Dennis

It has everything.

If "it" exists, then the Big Apple is where it will be.

Red hot in the summer, freezing in the winter. Nice in spring and autumn. I love the place. Going back in October.