AU-1 Corsair, Flotille 14F, Indochina

russ c

Hi Everyone,

Finished working shifts for the week, so hope you don`t mind me sharing some photo`s of my latest effort:

fdo4hXL.jpg

My attempt at recreating one of the French Navy`s: half painted, hastily prepared AU-1 Corsairs, that they obtained from the USMC to take the place of Flotille 12F`s Hellcats....

dTPtCWR.jpg

who`s pilots were grounded on Doctors orders during the battle for Bien Dien Phu, during the Indochina War.

GhCmKqr.jpg

Built from Hasegawa`s 1/48 kit that`s recently been reissued, using left over decals from the stash and bombs from the spares box.

MqmXrNr.jpg

Apart from some seat belts, ignition wires, brake pipes, pilots step and extra aerials is otherwise from the box

M8NDAhJ.jpg

Found a great Site after much searching called `Bent Wing Pirate` that I used as a reference.

DJE4GcB.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ 

• Like 62

Great Corsair Russ , I do like the weathering just wish we could get a 1/32 French F4u-7 .

Guy

• Like 1

Bravo Russ !!!

You really did a great French Corsair that looks both terrific and very aggressive.

OK it is an AU-1 but I thought the French Corsairs of the Aeronavale were F4U-7 ?

Can you tell me what is wrong with my knowledges ?

But your model is really fantastic.

Congratulations. Polo.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

Bravo Russ !!!

You really did a great French Corsair that looks both terrific and very aggressive.

OK it is an AU-1 but I thought the French Corsairs of the Aeronavale were F4U-7 ?

Can you tell me what is wrong with my knowledges ?

But your model is really fantastic.

Congratulations. Polo.

Thanks Polo for your very kind words; re AU-1`s and F4U-7`s, 25x  AU-1`s were obtained from the USMC at short notice and ferried to Indochina to replace Flotilla 12F`s Hellcats and pilots who had been grounded for medical reasons ( Battle Fatigue ? ) and who had been flying ground support missions over the very besieged French Garrison at Bien Dien Phu. I read that all but two were condemned as unserviceable on arrival and by a great effort by French and US ground crew most were made flyable in the space of about two days where they resumed where 12F had left off. 

The F4U-7`s came later after Bien Dien Phu had fallen as the standard equipment F4U for the French Navy.

Hope this answers your question OK.

It`s explained better on the site I mentioned `Bent Wing Pirate` which I used as my main reference.

Thanks for your interest and for looking, Russ

• Like 1

Hello,Russ - Tony has summed up my thoughts exactly on this superb 'Corsair' build.Your hallmark skills have made this subject every inch the great warbird she is.😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you very much  Russ for your explanations about the Corsairs of Dien Bien Phu.

This was a historic moment in the history of Indochina (and France too) that I was not aware of.

Edited by polo1112
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, Konstantin Marchenko said:

Did you take a Has F4U-5(N?) as a base? Did you fill-sand the cowling - or borrow it from another kit?

Hi Konstantin, Sorry for the late reply, no it was built from the AU-1 boxing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Russ,

Perfect model in a perfect setting. Interesting load under the wings.

I like the one time fuel tank versus the bomb on the other station.

Regards, Orion

• Thanks 1

@russ c

A very nice AU-1! Too bad there isn't a dedicated kit for one in either 1/72 or 1/48.  The asymmetric loadout is overlooked by many modelers, but you nailed it. Hard to really tell in your photos, but the AU-1 had the oil coolers turned 90 degrees and  placed in the fuselage to protect them from ground fire, so they would not be present in the leading edge intakes, but a flat blanking plate would be installed in their place , with three vertical separators in the inboard part of each intake. See the linked photo of a Marine AU-1 for  a better view. Not meant in any way to detract from the killer conversion you did on your model!

Mike

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/NAS/images/Vought-AU-1-Corsair-NAS-Black-411-BuNo-129411-on-the-ground-at-NAS-Glenview-IL-05.jpg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Thanks, Tommy! I had forgotten to post a link to this article for him. A Merry and  safe Christmas to you and yours.

Mike