Making a vacuum de-gasser for casting/moulding?

roymattblack

I'm after a pump and chamber for de-gassing silicone moulds and resin castings.

Full kits are out there and a reasonable sized chamber means a cost of £200 - £250.

However, I can buy the chamber and gauge etc for about £65.

I have a brand new air brush compressor - can I use it somehow as the extraction pump???

Anyone know?

Roy.

Heres a couple shots of my setup. The vac pump is left over from my neon work, the pot is a pressure cooker with a lexan window for viewing. Thee is a valve on top to relieve vacuum .The vac gauge came from a fellow Vancouver IPMS member. I dont think a compressor can be rigged for vacuum, but dont know for sure.

IMG_5472_zps0d909ec0.jpg

IMG_5474_zps3de52308.jpg

I pulled lab vac for the neon work , not needed for casting , as I apply vac I can vary the 'pull' with the valve on top , also vacuum can be relieved , pushing the casting material into the mould.

Dont know what you are casting but setting up for metal casting may be an alternative, see my Metal Casting Work thread on here.

Edited by krow113
adding

Hi Matt, put this in eBay & you will get some good prices on a vacc pump.

Single Stage 2.5CFM 1/4HP Rotary Vane Deep Refrigeration Vacuum Pump Equipments

I use the air input pipe work on my Bambi compressor in reverse to draw a vacc on my own home made chamber & it works for me!

Mark D ;)

If you're really looking to cast perfect parts, go with the pressure casting setup. I've used both and pressure beats vacuum hands down. That said, vacuum is better than nothing at all.

A few posts down in this forum, I show how to make a really cheap vacuum pot, but also there is this article on a dual-purpose pot:

Many thanks all you guys.

I don't really have time to convert, mod or make stuff, so a ready-made setup (Ebay) might be best - if a bit more costly.

Roy.

Many thanks all you guys.

I don't really have time to convert, mod or make stuff, so a ready-made setup (Ebay) might be best - if a bit more costly.

Roy.