MG to cease production. . . Again

Séan Pádraig

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-37449289

MG has announced it is to stop making cars at its Longbridge plant and will be moving production to China - ending production in the UK.

The firm said vehicle assembly was no longer "required" and cars would arrive "fully built ready for distribution".

MG said there would be 25 redundancies but sales, marketing and after-sales operations would remain at the plant.

The first new MG for 16 years rolled off the production line in the West Midlands in 2011.

It marked the first large-scale production at plant since the demise of Rover in 2005.

I have to say I wasn't even aware that MG had been resurrected as I cannot recall seeing a 'new' MG on the road for nearly a decade. Seems that run of the mill hatchbacks with dubious styling were never going to match the sporting image of the originals.

• Like 2

I agree totally that the MG badged metro's were the beginning of the end for the marque.... I thought the MGF was a good effort all the same.

The article said production (or assembly) restarted in 2011 so I can't help but wonder how many MG's were built/sold in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

Don't forget the Acid House MG X power SV from around 2004.....I've only ever seen one of these Chinese MGs and the adverts for them were dreadful, worse than Dacia. They're cheap tin with go faster stripes, deformation of the MG name...Not surprised they're leaving.

• Like 2

If you can get your hands on one...Try an MG (Maestro) Turbo. 0-60 in 6.7 secs. Tweaked by Tickford, outrageous and top of the league for a while. Its THE Q car. Its just a Maestro ?

Safety Fast !

• Like 2

When the SD1 came out, nobody could believe their eyes, great looking car and way ahead of it's time..The later 2.0  2.3s were a bit short of breath 2.6 wasn't that bad but the  Vitesse and ultra rare Twin Plenum Vitesse were mind blowing. Pity about the rot though.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vontrips said:

Brexitastic! :(

Just need Nissan to go and then we won't be making anything in this country; apart from F1 and Indy cars (and the odd Bentley).

Toyota are still at Burnaston although one of the assembly buildings seems to be moth balled.

I worked with an MG fan who has several old ones that are slow but great fun, and had a brace of his and hers MGFs. He now has a pair of MX-5s which are also a giggle. 

I've not seen a Sino-Brum MG on the road yet.

25 redundancies isn't really a news worthy number, more people died today in my local hospital probably. admittedly it's not good for those 25 people but at least they don't have to work for mg anymore 

Shaun

49 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

When the SD1 came out, nobody could believe their eyes, great looking car and way ahead of it's time..The later 2.0  2.3s were a bit short of breath 2.6 wasn't that bad but the  Vitesse and ultra rare Twin Plenum Vitesse were mind blowing. Pity about the rot though.

And all thanks to an unwanted Buick V8 that became Rovers legend....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vontrips said:

Brexitastic! :(

Just need Nissan to go and then we won't be making anything in this country; apart from F1 and Indy cars (and the odd Bentley).

What about the MINI, Rolls-Royce, BMW engines, Aston Martins, Jaguars, Land Rovers... the UK produce more vehicles now that ever

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

And all thanks to an unwanted Buick V8 that became Rovers legend....

Amazing, Took the GM 215 (BOP) and got more power and more MPG. Shortened it to V6. Increased the v8 swept size right up to 5.0. Last ones were built at W-s-Mud !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

M(S)G - Monosodium Glutomate

It strips a layer of skin off of your tongue to make, e.g. rancid, flaccid carrot taste incredible.

If you're brave, next time you have a Chinese take away, ask for it without MSG.

Tastes very, very bland.

I guess strip the MG badge off of a Chinese generic tin box car, and its bland too.

So the badge is stripped off to China, to be added to the tin box cars, to keep the car just a little tasty. :confused: 

I once owned a real MG. Also a Rover Vitessse. Triumph GT6. Spitfire. Others. Many.

For a British car enthusiast from Rootes group to Bristol to Rolls to MG to Trumph it's been a saddening 40+ years. :( 

All the best

TonyT

1 minute ago, Vince1159 said:

Minis are built by BMW (a complete joke to the original)...

You forgot Rolls Royce, but if you go down that avenue then Land Rovers and Jaguars are built by TATA and Bentleys are built by VW...

As for MINI's (not Mini's) they are marmite but as far as being a joke they are a 3 million selling very popular joke which parent BMW are happy to have.

Lots of British cars are owned/financed from abroad, but the fact they were born here, designed here, and are still MADE here makes them pretty much British in my book.

Who cares where the money is coming from?

There are a good few things made in China, Malaysia, Taiwan, financed by the UK, but everyone still thinks of them as Chinese or whatever.

I think they ought to bring back the old sticker - MADE IN BRITAIN.

Edited by roymattblack