Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

• 4 months later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/d-day-in-scale-at-telford-and-new-box-artwork-update

a03090-messerschmitt-me262a-2a-pack-fron

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/messerschmitt-me262a-2a-1-72.html

Sturmvogel Strike

e_exclusive_new_airfix_box_artwork_relea

Another 2019 kit announcement which features a relatively new model tooling and also includes an additional frame of part options, the Messerschmitt Me262A-2a ‘Sturmvogel’ A03090 is currently inbound from the manufacturing plant and destined for release over the next few weeks. Like the Mustang featured above, the Me262 was one of the most advanced aircraft of the Second World War and only entered service during the final months of the conflict. Harnessing the blistering speed offered by jet propulsion, the Messerschmitt is arguably one of the most important aircraft in the history of flight, but by this stage in the war and with Germany suffering defeats on all fronts, this magnificent aircraft proved to be nothing more than an aviation case of too little, too late.

With the performance of the Me262 jet fighters already having a devastating impact on the massed bomber formations attacking targets in Germany, a decision was taken to develop a high speed bomber variant of the aircraft, one which was capable of mounting daring attacks at speeds which made the jet bomber almost impervious to interception by Allied fighters and rendering anti-aircraft fire almost useless.

The ‘Sturmvogel’ or Storm Bird was developed specifically to launch devastating strike missions against any Allied invasion of Northern France, one which the Germans knew would be coming before long. Able to avoid interception, large numbers of these high speed jet bombers would be hurled against the landing beaches, wreaking havoc amongst enemy forces and stalling the progress of the invasion until German ground forces could be rushed to the area and drive the Allies back into the sea. Although this sounds like a perfectly plausible strategy, by the time the aircraft was ready to undertake such strike missions, the Allies had already broken out from their landing beachheads and were driving German forces back towards their homeland.

f_a03090_new_airfix_messerschmitt_me262_

Marking this important ‘Schnellbomber’ variant of Germany’s famous WWII jet, the new kit will include scale representations of the ETC 503 bomb racks which were carried under the nose of the aircraft, just forward and either side of the rear of the front undercarriage door. Each rack was capable of carrying a 500kg bomb, although only a single bomb of this size could be carried operationally – the more usual configuration was for two 250kg blast or fragmentation bombs to be carried, depending on the type of attack mission being flown.

In order to save weight, the top two MK 108 30mm cannons were removed from the nose of the Me262, as was some of the aircraft’s armour plating , all of which allowed the jet to maintain its impressive performance. If the aircraft needed to revert to its more usual interceptor role, the machine guns could easily be replaced and the bomb racks removed, giving the Messerschmitt a true multi-role capability.

As one of the most distinctive aircraft of the Second World War, the shark-like Messerschmitt Me 262 pointed to the future of aviation technology and much of the information gathered during its development would find its way into many of the jet powered aircraft designs introduced by the victorious Allied nations in the immediate post war years. This new kit will allow us all to build an accurate scale representation of this less common variant of the Luftwaffe’s famous WWII jet and one which will sit perfectly next to the previously released fighter variants of the aircraft. Certain to be a popular addition to the range, Messerschmitt Me 262 'Sturmvogel' A03090 is currently still available for pre-order and is scheduled for release in just a few week’s time. https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/messerschmitt-me262a-2a-1-72.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

In the Airfix workbench - ref. A03090A - Messerschmitt Me262A-1a/2a Schwalbe

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/luftwaffes-jet-powered-speedbird

113438.jpg

Messerschmitt Me 262A-1a W.Nr. 110956 'White 17', aircraft flown by Obstlt. Heinz Bär, III./Ergänzungs-Jagdgeschwader 2, Lechfeld, Bavaria, Germany, 29th April 1945.

113432.jpg
113433.jpg

Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a Werknummer 500200, flown by Fj. Ofw. Hans Frölich, 2./Kampfgeschwader 51, Fassberg, Lower Saxony, Germany, 8th May 1945.

113434.jpg
113436.jpg

RELEASED: https://uk.airfix.com/products/messerschmitt-me262a-1a2a-a03090a

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2