Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, AlCZ said:

Looks realy nice. For this time, best small scale Schwalbe is Revell, but have ugly clear parts. Academy is parody on Me-262, is too fat and haven´t a typical Shark look. Airfix looks goood. But the price...Hm, comparable with Academy street price.

But the Airfix kit is not exactly expensive. Also, the Academy kit was released 10 years ago in 2007. Revell is 10 years older than that, being first released in 1997.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2017 at 2:29 AM, Roman Schilhart said:

Looks superb. A good alternative for the Hasegawa/Academy kits.

One thing that confuses me though is the blue-white-checkerboard.

I always thought this is supposed to be green-white (as for Werkschutzstaffel).

But I believe the guys from Airfix have done proper research!

Roman, I had asked that very question not all that long ago, you can view it and the answers here

27 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

Roman, I had asked that very question not all that long ago, you can view it and the answers here

Thanks for clarification.

Confusion hit me when I checked my decal stash and found exactly the same markings - but with Green/White checkerboards instead of Blue/White.

But of course that's difficult to make out from b/w period photographs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Radleigh said:

Edit as that didn't work...

https://www.facebook.com/scalemodellingnow/

and also on the Airfix group, called Airfix Modelling Club, you'll have to just scroll through the posts, not far from the top when I last looked.

If Geoff Coughlin finds issues with it, us lesser modellers will certainly find them! It's a bit of a shame and slightly disappointing, Airfix do a lot good but they never quite get it all together. I've not built an Airfix kit for a while yet that didn't have some fit issues.

thanks

Mike

Doesn't sound like a showstopper to me - in fact, if you check out the 72nd Aircraft forum, Jonathan Mock shows you very simply how to fix it:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=9469&st=15&#last

...and scroll down a bit.

John

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mikemx said:

If Geoff Coughlin finds issues with it, us lesser modellers will certainly find them! It's a bit of a shame and slightly disappointing, Airfix do a lot good but they never quite get it all together. I've not built an Airfix kit for a while yet that didn't have some fit issues.

thanks

Mike

The fit "problem" on the 262 seems pretty easy to fix and nothing a competent modeller cannot cope with. Annoying though. However, I tend to agree with you on the fit issues generally. I wonder if these are down to kit engineering or poor quality control? Seems also that for everyone that had a badly fitting Fairley Farcical, there was someone whose kit fitted perfectly! I nearly gave up on the Blenheim! My Shackleton fought me every inch of the way and I had to beat it into submission!! The less said about the Supermarine Swift the better!! However, my Lancaster BII fitted together beautifully!! Talk about inconsistent! I cannot comment on the 262 unfortunately as I have yet to get my sweaty mitts on 'em!

Allan

5 hours ago, rholland said:

Seriously, do we need to be SHOWN how to fix something as minor as this? I thought this was a forum for modellers. Jeez...

Richard in NZ

Well, I had the same reaction when I saw Mock's post on 72nd Scale - just basic modelling skills - but since there seemed to be some consternation locally, I thought I'd post the link. Better to have too much information than not enough. Those of us who enjoy totally crazy kitbashes to try to get what we want that's not otherwise available will certainly not be put off by a bit of trimming to get that engine nacelle to fit.

John

• Like 5

It seems to me that in these days of tighter tolerances than we were used to, slight variations in plastic composition, mold temp & cooling time could all have an effect on the dimensional integrity of the finished product. For my money, I believe I'd test fit, adjust as necessary & glue without thinking twice about it.

Steve.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

It seems to me that in these days of tighter tolerances than we were used to, slight variations in plastic composition, mold temp & cooling time could all have an effect on the dimensional integrity of the finished product. For my money, I believe I'd test fit, adjust as necessary & glue without thinking twice about it.

Steve.

These days? Hasegawa and Tamiya have been making highly detailed kits that fit together perfectly for decades. Eduard has caught up with them in recent years, as have some other brands. There doesn't seem to be a technical reason why Airfix couldn't do the same.

• Like 3

Agreed, but I don't believe it to be a design thing, rather than a process control thing & reading these pages, I get the impression that is something that besets not only Airfix, while some companies, Eduard included have made significant design gaffes in the not too distant past.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Their 1st 1/48 bf 109 G-6 (?) Was inaccurate, their 1/48 bf 110 E is a pig to build according to builds on these pages. Sorry if I've the wrong model of each quoted.

Steve.

The big problem with Eduard's first G-6 was it wasn't quite to scale and the wings and fuselage were in slightly different scales, it did however built into a very nice looking model and most people would be hard pressed to see the difference. I've built a Bf110G-4 for someone and it wasn't that bad apart from the nacelles. Personally for me it's more annoying if mainstream companies can't make kits that fit together properly than if they're a mm out here or there.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Great Caesar's Ghost! You mean you have to scrape a little bit of plastic away to get a better fit!? Not to be allowed, there ought to be a law, hanging's too good for them, etc. Yeesh, folks, try wrestling with some East and Central European limited run kits for awhile. As for me, I'm not too overly concerned with perfect fit, as long as the kit is dimensionally accurate. As some have indicated, dealing with a few fit issues is called 'modelling'. To me it's all a part of the game. And perhaps I'm just lucky (for once), but the fit on the Airfix kits I've bought recently, such as the Gladiator, the Shackleton, and the Beaufighter have all been exemplary. I will probably pick this kit up, and I will definitely purchase the Fortress III. If I have to bring out 'Ol Sharpy', my trusty modelling knife for a bit o' whittlin', then so be it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 7

Okay, normally I would follow these discussions quietly in the background, but, being a quiet day at work, and seeing the comments surrounding the new kit from Airfix, I think I'll throw my hat into the ring. (And no doubt erk some people along the way. I mean no offense and offer my apologies in advance).

I can't help but feel that Airfix are unfairly held to standards that other kitmakers are not, for a minor area on a kit where model making is actually required.

I've seen numerous build logs of other kit brands where the kit has had all sorts of fit issues etc and the author has filled, filed and fought his/her way to the finish, commented how great the kit was, then in the next breath will deride anything Airfix because of some minor quibble...

For anyone not content with needing to scrape a little bit of plastic to get an ideal fit, can I suggest to attempt building some of the maritime subjects from a certain far eastern manufacture? The kits I have built from them have fought me every step of the way (fit issues, warped parts, poor tool making-none of which I have experienced in any major way from the "new" Airfix kits), and to take a break and get back my mojo I retreat to the joy and safety of Airfix kits which I know will be fun and easy to build and restore my mojo before delving back into the depths of what passes for a kit from this other maker.

I have resolved not to purchase any more kits from this certain far eastern manufacture, even though they offer the most kits to satisfy my interest in maritime subjects. Instead I will only by kits from them after thorough inspections of the box contents and positive reviews online but it will be a rare thing indeed.

However I have no such reservations purchasing Airfix kits.

And yes I will be purchasing the new Me262 and from what I've seen I'll enjoy every moment of it ^_^

Just my 2cents.

• Like 12