Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

thanks for that  - not to sure about this comment though ... " when the brakes are operated the nose dips and the slats are thrown forward " :lol:

But to sum up,  and in other words,  when modelling the Me 262, wing slats can be deployed in any manner you see fit.  The fact that Airfix won't necessarily provide an option for them in 72nd scale is not going to stop us acquring a few

• Like 1

On 23 June 2017 at 9:47 PM, Thomas V. said:

Me 262 was supposed to be released in March, as well as Swordfish and Sea Hurricane in March/April, I don't think anyone would like to see demise of Airfix but more objectivity would be welcome in time when company did not release single new tooling in six months, even worse when current kits with minor alterations are postponed, and when most 2017 releases will spill over into 2018(well into)

Its not only Hornbys fault,  Airfix management carries big responsibility for the current situation, and ignoring problems with the brand won't change the fact that Airfix is endangered from many sources, not taking into account biggest threat-Brexit.

Fourth price hike

Dubious rules of trade

Lack of quality control.

I wasn't aware of a March release for the 262, only ever June/July, but I'll happily stand corrected. The 262 release appears to have slipped to August now but that still doesn't fill me with gloom regarding the health, or otherwise, of Airfix. The tool is cut, the artwork and decals are finalised and the kit will be released when it's ready. Interestingly, although the Swordfish and Spitfire XIX show release dates of August and July respectively on the Airfix website, I saw boxes full of both new kits at the recent Northern Model Show (no, I did not buy either of them but they were available). That leads me to believe that an initial run was released to some retailers/suppliers and Airfix are waiting on another run to fulfil orders. That is, of course, just speculation on my part. A company that has announced an intention to release more *new tool aircraft kits* this calendar year, than Tamiya, Hasegawa and Academy combined, and has shown tooling for most of them (if not all?) at various shows and online, must be doing something right. If a couple of those releases slip to 2018, so be it. Yes, I do agree regarding their poor QC, but only from what I've seen and read online, as I've never fallen foul of it myself and I have around 150 red boxes in the stash.

Regards, Jeff

• Like 5

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Fair comment Andre, tecnology does move on. P-51 flaps are rather more substantial than Messerschmitt slats to my eye though. Has technology got to the stage where they're going to be scale size & hassle free in 1/72. :unsure:

Steve.

Actually I made one som years ago. It was an Heller Me 109K in 1/72 and it wasn't that dificult that one can think. And those parts aren't that small an fiddle...

For sure technology does move on. Why didn't we get kits with that type of prop that Airfix made to the 1/72 Hawker Typhoon? Italeri made them years ago with their Do 217 N1. But builders didn't have internet then and couldn't tell each other or giving kitmakers good critics about kits and how to make them...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

"It will swoop down and rain death and destruction to the enemy on the beaches regardless of fighter defense!"

"Of course none of you thought of that!":fuhrer:

from; The First and the Last. Adolph Galland.

Edited by Mike Esposito

Those Eduard parts look nice but where are the swallows?

I will have to take a look on my old Revell and Academy Me 262's.

It's a cruel summer...

Cheers / André

What ? 12Ł ? This is craaaazy for 1/72 Schwalbe....

It is my favourite aircraft - i probably one bought - but the price is too high, and quarter scale Tamiya is another levell (In Czech cost around 20Ł). But in small scale this is a probably best Me-262.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

Do Eduard have some special arrangement with Airfix, Tamigawa etc... whereby they receive new releases well in advance of us pedestrians so they can work their magic?

It does look that way doesn't it?

I'll see what can be done with the kit first before shelling out for some etched metal.

10 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks superb. A good alternative for the Hasegawa/Academy kits.

One thing that confuses me though is the blue-white-checkerboard.

I always thought this is supposed to be green-white (as for Werkschutzstaffel).

But I believe the guys from Airfix have done proper research!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Looks superb. A good alternative for the Hasegawa/Academy kits.

One thing that confuses me though is the blue-white-checkerboard.

I always thought this is supposed to be green-white (as for Werkschutzstaffel).

But I believe the guys from Airfix have done proper research!

Luftwaffe markings aren't my strong suite but I've seen quite a bit of artwork and some decals that show them as blue and white for 9.KG(J)54

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

African or European?

(Somebody had to ask :D )

Well, originally German... ...but as Airfix is Brittish I have to say Brittish...

On 11/07/2017 at 10:10 PM, Uncle Dick said:

Do Eduard have some special arrangement with Airfix, Tamigawa etc... whereby they receive new releases well in advance of us pedestrians so they can work their magic?

probably a symbiotic relationship between companies, airfix are probably aware that some modellers will only build if they can get afte rmarket so i suppose it's in their best interest to let eduard have a early sneak peek .

• Like 1

Looks realy nice. For this time, best small scale Schwalbe is Revell, but have ugly clear parts. Academy is parody on Me-262, is too fat and haven´t a typical Shark look. Airfix looks goood. But the price...Hm, comparable with Academy street price.

• 1 month later...