Air Canada Airbus A319 - Build #2 (with guest appearances of Revell Edelweiss A320)

nimrod54

I have been considering starting another build for a little while now, and so with work on the Heron progressing nicely, I thought that I would make a start on this Revell A319 using 26Decals Air Canada current markings.

DSC01291_zpshtbfzi92.jpg

DSC01290_zpsa2ceyekk.jpg

Here are the sprue shots, although I must confess to having removed the main parts and thought that I had better post them before committing to glue and filler.

DSC01289_zpsrmyeuslp.jpg

DSC01288_zpswulhtvbu.jpg

DSC01287_zpsjtzilws1.jpg

I hope to get started quite soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That's gone together quickly. You'll be finished soon bud. 

Yeh, these airliners go together quickly. especially when you don't bother detailing the interior. Although more could be done if you start opening doors etc. :hmmm:

• Like 1

I had some time to fit the canopy and wings over the weekend. The joint around the canopy was filled with superglue and this has been blended and polished, there could be some more filling/sanding needed around the bottom edge on the port side but we will see once I get some primer on.

DSC01303_zpsajafsab8.jpg

DSC01301_zps4awvu8o2.jpg

DSC01302_zpsr4cqhydy.jpg

On the wing join, I have added some thin plastic strip material around the forward mating surface, leaving this proud of the outer face to give some material to help fill the gap. The sides have been trimmed away and the bottom edge has yet to be completed.

DSC01304_zpsopxhmym0.jpg

DSC01305_zpsjoajtd43.jpg

I have also added the nose undercarriage leg because I was not too sure if I would be able to fix this later in the build, It will mean some tricky masking when the main colour goes on though - if it survives until then. :pray: 

• Like 5

I like the plastic card idea to fill the gap with the wing root fairing. The nose wheel is also tricky,  I have seen a method of adding it later with Revell kits. Something about notching one of the locator holes in the well wall so the leg pin can be slotted in. Must find it for before I attempt my next Revell Airbus kit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

... The nose wheel is also tricky,  I have seen a method of adding it later with Revell kits. Something about notching one of the locator holes in the well wall so the leg pin can be slotted in. Must find it for before I attempt my next Revell Airbus kit.

Thanks for the tip Ray. I could try removing a small section from one of the doors and replace it after the leg is added.

I thought that whilst I was doing the A319 I would get on with Revell's Edelweiss A320, I have just got the wings together at the moment so it is not too late for me to try attempt that work around once I start the fuselage work. I had not planned to include it in this Group Build and so I have not started another topic, but I'll post the odd photo in with this build as I am going along, if that is OK.  

A320 guest appearance #1

Here are a couple of shots of the A320 wing showing the work I have done so far. I wanted to recreate the two openings underneath, between the undercarriage doors and seen in this photo Edelweiss A320 wing

I started by scribing around the moulded area on the kit and then removing most of this so that the surface was level. I then drilled a couple of small holes and opened things up back to the scribe lines and this was then lined with strip and scrap plastic card. 

DSC01313_zpspigntbgr.jpg

DSC01311_zpscx2epnc0.jpg

I have also had a tinker about with the nose gear and have found that with some careful manipulation it is possible to fix it in place after the fuselage has been assembled without the need for any trimming.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for the tip Ray. I could try removing a small section from one of the doors and replace it after the leg is added.

I thought that whilst I was doing the A319 I would get on with Revell's Edelweiss A320, I have just got the wings together at the moment so it is not too late for me to try attempt that work around once I start the fuselage work. I had not planned to include it in this Group Build and so I have not started another topic, but I'll post the odd photo in with this build as I am going along, if that is OK.  

A320 guest appearance #1

Here are a couple of shots of the A320 wing showing the work I have done so far. I wanted to recreate the two openings underneath, between the undercarriage doors and seen in this photo Edelweiss A320 wing

I started by scribing around the moulded area on the kit and then removing most of this so that the surface was level. I then drilled a couple of small holes and opened things up back to the scribe lines and this was then lined with strip and scrap plastic card. 

DSC01313_zpspigntbgr.jpg

DSC01311_zpscx2epnc0.jpg

I have also had a tinker about with the nose gear and have found that with some careful manipulation it is possible to fix it in place after the fuselage has been assembled without the need for any trimming.

Looks like you had a tinker about with more than the nose gear. Cracking work dude. 

• Like 3

There has not been a lot of change to the A319 other than sanding and checking the seams and filling and sanding and checking, you get the picture. One other thing that I have done is to add some scraps of plastic to the top of the flap tracks to bring these level with the top surface of the wing. The different colours are purely because of the thickness of plastic card required. Both sides have been trimmed to shape and the port side has had the top surface blended back in.

DSC01327_zpsyykiz5ko.jpg

DSC01328_zps7umzffyk.jpg

DSC01320_zps8fierat0.jpg

DSC01321_zps1nniydqc.jpg

We will see how everything looks when the primer goes on.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some primer on the A319 which has flagged up a few areas that need some extra work.

DSC01344_zpsrvvajrgn.jpg

DSC01345_zps0ntfttcx.jpg

Prior to priming I had filled the lines for the two stage flap system that are not applicable to this Airbus model and this needs some further filling and sanding to remove the slight trace that is still visible, although it is not easy to see in the photo.

Can anyone tell me whether the section between the first flap track and the fuselage should be filled too.

DSC01346_zpsrno4qap1.jpg

The cockpit window is going to need more filling as well, but the cabin windows look to be OK . The ghosting is due to the dark filler showing through the white primer and I think that this should disappear under another coat of primer and the blue topcoat.

DSC01347_zpstvtlauox.jpg

DSC01348_zpsrvdqe9ka.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the required filling around the flaps and wings then sprayed them over with grey paint earlier in the week. I left this to harden off before masking up and spraying some Xtracolour Corogard today, this has now been set aside to dry. I hope to get the blue on the fuselage next week and then it should be ready for decals soon after that.

DSC01376_zpswywoe2rf.jpg

Work on the A320 continues and the fuselage has to be tidied up, then the wing join can be completed.This may make another guest appearance next week too.

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing this finished John, I like the Air Canada livery on the smaller airliners, less so on their widebodies though!

Are you going to paint the aluminium leading edges or use decals? Which paint are you using for the fuselage, Xtracolor or your own mix?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Looking forward to seeing this finished John, I like the Air Canada livery on the smaller airliners, less so on their widebodies though!

Are you going to paint the aluminium leading edges or use decals? Which paint are you using for the fuselage, Xtracolor or your own mix?

Cheers,

Ian

I like this scheme too Ian, I think that their 'rouge' scheme looks good as well - a possibility for a future build perhaps. I will be spraying the aluminium leading edges, I have some Vallejo Metal Color acrylic that I want to try. I used the chrome from this range on some parts for a Triumph Herald over the last week and was quite impressed with the result. It is recommended a gloss black primer is used first and that will mean more masking for that, but I may just try it out over some of the grey to see if I can get away without the primer stage, I have bought some Xtracolor for the blue. As you can probably tell from the previous comment, I'm a bit of a lazy modeller so I'm not into mixing my own colours if there is an alternative available, although I will have to come up with something to add the dark edge around the winglets. :D

You have made a fabulous job of the British Airways 1-11 by the way, really nice work.

I'm impressed with the finish on the Corroguard John. I've heard some horror stories regarding this particular product and have been wondering whether or not I should try and get hold of some in the unlikely event that I get something ready to apply it to.

Watching with interest here.

Chris

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stringbag said:

I'm impressed with the finish on the Corroguard John. I've heard some horror stories regarding this particular product and have been wondering whether or not I should try and get hold of some in the unlikely event that I get something ready to apply it to.

Watching with interest here.

Chris

I bought this tin quite a while back Chris, and used it for the first time earlier this year on a BOAC B707 build for a friend. I was impressed with the resulting finish then, so decided to use it on this build too. I have found that Xtracolour paints can take a while to dry, several days sometimes, but I thinned this with some Xtracolour Quick Drying thinners and checked it over this morning and it has dried off beautifully. I will give it another couple of days to harden up before continuing with the build though.

I do have a cautionary tale to tell though. As I said I bought this tin a while back and opened it for the first time this year, the lid was a little tight to get off and, as I opened it, came away with a loud crack, a sound that I can only describe as a toy cap-gun being fired, and with some force and smoke. When I checked the tin of paint I noticed what seemed to be gas bubbles coming up through the paint, this continued to happen all the time I was stirring it to mix the pigment. I decided not to use it at that time, but I gave the tin a daily stir for around a week to make sure the bubbling had stopped and the paint has been fine to use since.

I have never had this happen before or since with this paint range, so it could well be that this was a dodgy batch or due to the storage conditions, though this was no different to the way that I store other paints, and I now take extra care when opening tins.

Hi John.

The situation you've described pretty much coincides with the rumours that I've heard circulating regarding the paint.

Having said that, looking at the finish you have achieved, I think I will still look for some and have a go with it.

Good luck with the rest of the build and thanks for the advice.

Chris

Chris, it's a lot more than "rumours". I wouldn't touch Xtracolor Corroguard with a barge pole after a tinlet exploded in my face a few years ago. Luckily I wear glasses or I would probably have needed a visit to the eye department of my local hospital.  As it was we had to re-paper a wall in the dining room and get my wife's favourite lampshade re-covered. It's the one and only time in over forty years of marriage that modelling has been a bone of contention between us.

Hi Dave.

I remember your post about it now that you mentioned it.  For some reason, it was the lampshade that stuck in my memory.

Would you consider removing the lid with the tin safely enclosed in a sturdy plastic bag an option?  This is assuming the product is still available.

Thanks for the warning.

Chris

A plastic bag or even a cloth could be used but I was never that keen on the paint anyway.  If possible I try to use decals for Corroguard but if none are available I brew my own using Revell 374 as the base.