Air Canada Airbus A319 - Build #2 (with guest appearances of Revell Edelweiss A320)

nimrod54

That's OK Chris, it is important to make people aware of potential hazards. I did not have to redecorate as in Dave's case, but did suffer from a tender thumb for a couple of days due to this being over the top when removing it. The occurrence does seem a bit hit and miss though with some modellers reporting no problems, and others suggesting that shaking the tin before opening could be the cause. I must admit that I did follow my usual procedure of shaking the tin before opening, perhaps Dave could enlighten us to his actions at the time.

The extra precautions will help and if Dave took the same shaking step that I did then, should you decide to purchase a tin, I can only suggest that you try skipping this stage too.

• Like 1

John, if you don't mind the thread drift continuing I didn't shake the paint.  I just took the new tinlet out of my paint stash, stuck a screwdriver under the rim of the lid and levered it as I've done hundreds of times before. The next thing I knew there was a loud "crack", my glasses were covered in paint and there were paint splashes on the wall behind me and all over the famous lampshade.  As Chris mentioned, I posted about this before and another contributor to the same thread posted pictures of paint splashes on his ceiling after a similar episode.  To be fair, this happened about six years ago and I've no idea how long that particular tinlet had been in the stash before I opened it. I know Hannants were aware of the problem so I'd hope that recently manufactured paint is OK.  The danger, of course, is the old tinlet lurking the the paint stash.

• Like 1

Well, that puts paid to the shaking theory then Dave. Like you I've had my tin in a while and would hope that this has been resolved, definitely didn't do a lot for my arthritic thumb though. Thanks for passing the info on. 

• Like 1

Flippin Eck! Exploding tinlets, next you'll be saying putting ball bearings in glass jars of paint to help mix it is a bad idea, oh wait that is a bad idea! I can't remember if it was Cookie or PC that happened too!

I haven't had any of the above, but plenty of slips with the scalpel & then wondering why I kept finding red finger prints on things!

Nice progress John. 

• Like 1

The one and only time that this has happened mate, and your quite right it was PC who ended up being covered with Alclad. I think that it was his entry for the Lightning STGB, I can't remember if he was outside at the time but I do remember him saying that it was a bit on the chilly side and that he had ruined a brand new outdoor coat.

As for scalpel incidents I underwent a short ban several years ago after a witching hour incident that saw me having to wake Mrs Nimrod from her slumbers to join me for 3hrs in A&E to get a finger stitched. I regret it now, because she could have really used the beauty sleep. :D OUCH! Oh hello my Little Snapdragon. :tapedshut: :boxing:

A319 update

Progress wise, in between making a Dal Chicken for tonight's tea, I have masked up the wings today and revisited the canopy to take care of a couple of areas that needed some tidying. Then out came the primer to cover this and the engines, and weather permitting I hope to add the blue to these and the fuselage tomorrow.  I will post some photos once I have completed this stage.

• Like 1

Well after what has been a long day, that has included a visit to the LMS to get some things to finalise my entry for the Vignette GB and a trip to the cinema, I have finally got the opportunity to post some snaps of todays work airbrushing the fuselage and engine bodies. The colour doesn't appear to show up to well on the fuselage but can be clearly seen on the engines, I managed to get a couple of coats over the fuselage before I ran out of thinned colour. The two areas where I tidied the canopy up could do with a little more paint, so I will mix up some more tomorrow to finish things off.

DSC01391_zpsnwullqpn.jpg

DSC01393_zpshcyhxqx7.jpg

DSC01390_zpsbaodp1bi.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:36 AM, TrojanThunder said:

Colour looks good John, I can't recall, were you using an out of the bottle colour or a mix?

Thanks  Ray, the colour is Xtracolour (X553) Boeing 777 Air Canada Pale Blue and this was thinned with their quick drying thinners.

A320 guest appearance #2

With the A319 drying off after a second coat of blue, I thought I would share the 320's progress. After joining the fuselage halves there was a significant step along the top joint to take care of, the lower seam just needing a quick rub over with a sanding stick. To ease the clean up I removed the aerials etc. and proceeded to clean the join up. Then it was out with the tape and scriber to reinstate the panel lines and after this some further sanding and a quick polish to finish things off before adding the wings.

DSC01394_zpsjpygfsxe.jpg

The wing/fuselage join was a better fit at the front and rear ends on the underside, where just a smear of filler will needed. But the Stbd side is going to need some extra work to sort things out.

DSC01400_zpssibeuv99.jpg

DSC01399_zpsme2opo3l.jpg

I also took care of the extra lines around the around flaps prior to the wing/fuselage join up. Next up, tidy the joins and add the various lumps and bumps back to the top of the fuselage.

DSC01401_zpsvrcljpgo.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Not sure if you mentioned who supplies the decal sheet?

Hi Ray,

The decal sheet is another set from 26decals, they are laser printed so you have to take care not scratch the surface when handling them.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:36 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

She's looking good John. 

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:19 AM, Grandboof said:

Nice one 

Martin H

Cheers guys. I had my treatment today so the joints are feeling much better tonight. I hope to be able make some more progress tomorrow

• Like 3

I've made some good progress on the A319 over the last few days, the stencilling on the fuselage, wings and engines is finished and the undercarriage legs are on. There was an issue when I came to add the rear doors in that they didn't line up with moulded detail. I lined up the emergency exit of the kit with that of the decals and went from there, but the last window on each side drops on a panel line and this pushes the balloons and doors across. Maybe the kit emergency exit is slightly out of position, in hindsight it may have been better to fill this and work from the rear door. Anyway I will just have to live with it for this build.

DSC01480_zpscmzv4yxy.jpg

DSC01479_zpsmgmt99ij.jpg

DSC01478_zpsuevaovof.jpg

DSC01477_zpsfsowcdl9.jpg

DSC01481_zps8mc5jorx.jpg

Jobs still to do are wheels, some final bits of painting fit the engines and add the tailplanes. There won't be much done over the weekend though, Shrewsbury tomorrow and Telford on Sunday - but I'm more confident about finishing both builds now.

• Like 4

POTKC,

I think that photobucket must be running a series of updates at the moment. The images are displaying fine for me, but I had an issue during an update a week or so ago where the image links in all my topics were unavailable. HTH

I am going to call this finished, though there are a couple of areas that need some slight attention. The nav light fit isn't great and could do with some work to improve them, when I get around to these on the A320 I will fill them with some clear sprue and then sand and polish to shape. I need to source some numbers of the right size and colour for the tail and nose doors, those that came with the decals are blue and the tail ones look as though they are white in the photos I have found. So as I say a couple of little jobs to tidy it up but for all intents and purposes it's a done deal. Cheers to all for the support and comments..

DSC01522_zpsh3xgdcd6.jpg

DSC01521_zpsn0mitasn.jpg

I will post some more photos in the gallery in a little while.

• Like 7