1/6 Tamiya Honda CX500 Turbo

This is the final reveal of the 1982 Honda CX500 Turbo complete with its own bike show stand. I used some actual aluminium checker plate from an RC car model shop and I mounted it onto a wooden pallet which I picked up from my local Hobbycraft for a few pounds. I then wired up the lighting rig and the sign boards and powered it with a 9 volt power supply. This was a great kit to build, I had a real blast! I hope you enjoy the ride. Also if you want to see my work in progress of this build click the link below.

nAf6wPY.jpg
SxpQ7ND.jpg
evsu1yI.jpg
ARvtsbP.jpg
NmlLxCE.jpg
wHbx2WR.jpg
B5N76l8.jpg
WHIvdYs.jpg
UNrIhTP.jpg
LoCXUBj.jpg
kLZUoIU.jpg
ocNdOkM.jpg
YFEDXiA.jpg
j4z25MY.jpg
SBHQrL1.jpg
DqlHsfl.jpg
I7RmgAN.jpg
Nx0zUul.jpg
ldKa3HR.jpg
TlEda9f.jpg
btjvpiz.jpg
ppaVzxy.jpg
tB8kwU4.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 6

Superb! Always fascinated by this bike back in the day and your build is so realistic the fascination continues unabated.

The engine close-up in shot #10 is particularly effective!

Good job!

cheers

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent job !!

I have a 1/6th CX Turbo kit, unbuilt and still in the box. I'd like to get another kit to build.

The reason I haven't built the kit is quite interesting.

I also have an actual Honda CX500 Turbo. The interesting fact is that my bike has the same number plate as the decal sheet of the kit VLT145X !

My bike was one of the first into the UK in 1981 and the first registered owner was Honda UK.

After speaking to Tamiya it looks like some of their design team came over to the UK to use my bike for some of the design work. Why they couldn't just go to Honda in Japan is a mystery.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the kind comments for my build thread,any how marvelous that you have the reg number on your bike to match the kit,there can,t be many folk who can say that !

Your bike looks in great shape for it,s age,i think Honda were at the top of their game[ from a build quality point of view]in the early eighties,everything looks cheap and nasty today,i am about to start the Tamiya 1/6 scale CB1100R kit this week.

Also i have just bought a 1976 KZ900A4 to restore,and a very clean and original CBX 1000C Prolink that i plan to ride next year.

Very best regards,

Lee.

The CB1100R is a bike I'd like in my garage . 

As well as the Turbo I have a Kawasaki KR1 and my favourite bike, a Suzuki RE5M. All get ridden , the RE5 has had about 3000 miles put on it this year . 

I'm sure you'll have fun on the CBX.

I look forward to seeing the CB1100R build photos. 

I was in Japan for the last 3 weeks and intended to visit the Tamiya factory and HQ but ran out of time. 

Regards Ray

Lee, congratulations on the model build, it's immaculate, and I like your idea for the display stand, really works well with the bike.

And Ray Chapman, that's an immaculate 1:1 scale CX500 Turbo you have there! Remarkably tidy example, and a wonderful factoid about the number plate as well.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful job. Used to own the CX650 Turbo,a mover but top heavy and hard work in the tight stuff,but loved that "whoooosh" noise it made. Nice seeing yours.....

mtd

• Like 1