Tiger Moth to Fox Moth

andy wood

On 03/07/2017 at 0:27 AM, provencenut said:

Vami Models once made a 1/72 scale resin kit of DH Leopard Moth. It is a bit crude, but buildable.

Regards,

Mika

Arctic Decals

Thanks Mika.

I will look for it. I just bought the new resin 'Dekno' 1/72 Hornet Moth. It's a nice kit.

One day I hope to have the whole range of inter war DH aircraft in 1/72, but it's tricky without scratch building skils. Perhaps in time I will try the latter :door: .

I have your decals for Junkers F-13 and G-24 Aero Oy. Lovely :):thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

On 3.7.2017 at 7:50 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

One day I hope to have the whole range of inter war DH aircraft in 1/72, but it's tricky without scratch building skils. Perhaps in time I will try the latter :door: .

I have your decals for Junkers F-13 and G-24 Aero Oy. Lovely :):thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony for your kind feedback ^_^ About those DH planes, perhaps Albert (Dekno Models) may produce more of them, as I think he has sold quite many of those Hornet Moths. Just be in contact with him and ask what are his plans with the DH fleet. I am sure that if there were enough demand for those planes he would be interested in doing them.

Regards,

Mika

• Like 1

4 hours ago, provencenut said:

Thanks Tony for your kind feedback ^_^ About those DH planes, perhaps Albert (Dekno Models) may produce more of them, as I think he has sold quite many of those Hornet Moths. Just be in contact with him and ask what are his plans with the DH fleet. I am sure that if there were enough demand for those planes he would be interested in doing them.

Regards,

Mika

Thanks Mika; I bought it straight from his website.

I have Dekno going right back to the old days like the Northrops and Fairchild.

They are a different breed now; like little precision watches.

I don't want to hog this thread going OT.

I'll drop him a line. 

Good to see you have decals for Dujin kits too; I have a collection of 'French De-Havilland' by them (Farman, Caudron....), sadly missed :(.

Best regards

TonyT

Seeing John's Fox Moth photos reminded me I've got some here on Photobucket including a cockpit shot that might be useful. Better I do it this way than link directly to them and they disappear when the Photobucket police notice.......

Steve

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Nice pic, C.  You can also see that the Fox has no leading edge slats, which need carving off the Airfix Tiger Moth wings, one of the more 'fun' aspects of the conversion....  

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

Nice pic, C.  You can also see that the Fox has no leading edge slats, which need carving off the Airfix Tiger Moth wings, one of the more 'fun' aspects of the conversion....  

Thanks Roger for the reminder, I read that at least one had those, but in general they didn't.

Cheers

Edited by Moa
to correct typo

• 2 years later...

If I may resurrect this thread I'm going to try converting the new Airfix 1/48 Tigger to a Fox and note the shape of the wing tips on the model and the plan are quite different shape. In this thread it states that Tiger and Fox Moth use the same wings so are the Airfix tips wrong or the drawing?   Any ideas? 

50307767562_21bc671719.jpgfullsizeoutput_19f0 by tankienz, on Flickr

On 9/5/2020 at 10:04 AM, dcrfan said:

If I may resurrect this thread I'm going to try converting the new Airfix 1/48 Tigger to a Fox and note the shape of the wing tips on the model and the plan are quite different shape. In this thread it states that Tiger and Fox Moth use the same wings so are the Airfix tips wrong or the drawing?   Any ideas? 

50307767562_21bc671719.jpgfullsizeoutput_19f0 by tankienz, on Flickr

You have the port wing root lined up with the centre line of the fuselage instead of the outside edge. Try it and see how it looks 

5 hours ago, andy wood said:

You have the port wing root lined up with the centre line of the fuselage instead of the outside edge. Try it and see how it looks 

No I have the wing forward and rear edges aligned with the wing edges on the plan.  I have off set the wing slightly shorter just to show the difference in wing tip shapes.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 8:30 PM, andy wood said:

I would say it is the Airfix wing that is wrong then. Ther should be one more, shorter rib outboard of the wing tip light

Unfortunately I have little faith in the accuracy of the drawing as there is a significant error in the shape of top wing centre section.  I will however try and compare the Airfix wingtip shape with a Tiger Moth drawing.  I'll let you know.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2016 at 5:10 AM, andy wood said:

I'm toying with the idea of converting the Revell/Matchbox Tiger Moth to a Fox Moth. Apart from the new fuselage. centre wing section and tweaked u/c legs, my research indicates that not much else needs changing. Does anyone have any other views to the contrary? Anyone have any scale plans?

I assume you refer to the ex Matchbox now Revell Tiger Moth in 1/32 scale?

AVI Models released a Fox Moth just recently in 1/72. You may be able to use the parts from this as a reference/template for your scaled up conversion?

I got mine on ebay.

HTH John H.