Tamiya 1/12th Lotus 49

sico24

Hi

I've been meaning to start this thread since last year, so here goes. ...

I've wanted the Tamiya Big Scale racing cars of the 60s and 70s ever since I was a kid in the early 70s and used to droll over them in the model shops. Although I regularly built all the Tamiya 1/35th AFVs, I never seemed to be able to afford or got around to do ing the racing cars.

So now I'm older and have more money and there is e-bay.......

I bought a box of bits of a Lotus 49 (not the 49B) on e-bay for £15.00. The seller had completed some parts and thought it was all there. He had painted it in 49B Gold Leaf colours even though it was the earlier model......

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Sico24/media/CAM00232_zpslzqftmgh.jpg.html

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Sico24/media/CAM00233_zpsejadlxh4.jpg.html

Edited by sico24
  • Like 1

Hi

Thanks for doing the photos - couldn't work out how to do that!

Ok - the next stage is the body tub. Tamiya for some reason only have one side with the correct profile (cut-out) so the other side needs to be done too.

CAM00234_zpslndinw5q.jpg

and a new dashboard needs to be made in the correct place and the tub closed off (where the batteries used go)

CAM00239_zpsugvnhz6q.jpg

Yes it looks rough now, but will be sprayed and the seat will be put in. The seat is......an old leather glove cut up!

Now time to make the mounting points for the front suspension. This is not very well done in the original kit, but the fairings are not as big as the 49B. Epoxy modelling putty used to make them.A bit fiddly on the cockpit section as the nosecone section needs to overlap to join

CAM00255_zpsunrsj1rx.jpg

CAM00249_zpsrkj8o4p3.jpg

Three stage spraying - First White (for the number roundels), the Yellow (for the stripes and nose cone design). Finally there will be British Racing Green. Paints for the first two stages stages were standard Humbrol Enamels, but there big problems with BRG Humbrol Enamel (not drying, spotting etc) so I used a Tamiya BRG Rattle can.

CAM00296_zpsdd476c8d.jpg

Now onto the engine....

Had to scratch-build the starter motor and mounting bracket as the standard one in the kit is pants....... The Lotus 49 by Michael Oliver is a fantastic reference although pricey

CAM00241_zpsr8ag2tnv.jpg

Also had to the scratch build the water pump and housing etc (left in the picture). mcgregor's Lotis 49B build on this forum was an inspiration here - thanks!

CAM00247_zpsobugup0p.jpg

The strange bit sticking out is the rear suspension wishbone- due to the enlarged parts it had to be put on now, not later!

On the other side;

CAM00248_zpslrla2hgl.jpg

Finished engine - the inlet trumpets were a pain as the original owner had messed them up

CAM00375_zpsagokrfpo.jpg

Below - note the wire running to the starter runs through a copper tube (real metal!) on the right side of the engine - as the original

CAM00374_zpsbjqmaqrc.jpg

Note the subtly changed exhaust pipe mountings - the kit is symmetrical but the original car was not (even this is not quite correct but very close). Ignition module and coil IS in the correct place for very early cars (later ones had it in the V of the engine).

CAM00376_zpsqrnipkmm.jpg

On the top of this photo see by the Ford logo the extra pipes from the cam cover attachment (oil overspill piples?). Only on very early 49s again. Water tube from radiator cap covered with chrome - looks a bit messy at the moment

Paintwork deliberately a little 'weathered'. Ford logos a bit messy - tidied up later.

• Like 1

Next bit is the brake and fuel lines on the rear bulkhead;

My guide was this from Michael Oliver's book (hope I'm not breaking copyright)

20160922_195123_zpsi91r37pp.jpg

Mine looks like this

CAM00371_zpsdcb6kj5j.jpg

As the engine mounts onto this bulkhead most of this will actually be hidden!

Brake calipers - the original kit only has caliper on the inner side of the brake disc. So I couod either have bought some ready made extras (expensive!) or made the outboard side myself - guess which I chose? Can't find the constuction photos - here's the finished version complete with real copper brake lines.

20160923_210231_zps76kwqcli.jpg

and from the front showing the copper and rubber brake lines

20160923_210156_zpshkwaetmn.jpg

• 3 years later...