stynylrez primer

cruiserguy

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'd like to ask what you think of Badger's Stynylrez primer. I tried it on a scrap kit for the first time today, and was a bit disappointed. It's a bit thicker than I expected, but that's not the problem, it just does not appear to cover as well as my Vallejo polyurethane primers. I sprayed through my Badger 200 at 20 psi, I usually spray the Vallejo primer at 15 psi. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Stynyrez is bad, but if any of you have used it, I'd like to know what you think, particularly if it needs a little thinning.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Hi Will - there's another thread in here on that subject.  It's also re-branded as Ultimate Primer, and after using it for a review, I think it's the best acrylic primer on the market.  You have to spray at a higher pressure and make sure it's not too cold in the room when you do.  It looks a bit thick when you put it on, but shrinks back nicely as it dries.  The best part is you can sand it without it all peeling off on you :)

• Like 2

Mike,

Thanks, I'll look at the thread, and will admit, that my house was a bit cool when I sprayed the primer. I am not going to give up on it, as one of the reasons I bought it is it is sandable, unlike Vallejo's polyurethanes.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• 1 month later...

Will I suspect you are using a needle nozzle below .4.

Badger actually say a .5. 

It should not be thick it is thinner than Vallejo. It seems thick when poured into the cup but is thin when sprayed. Nice point

is it does not fill panel lines.

Best primer I have come across. Dry within 2 hours for sanding. Also filling with Mr Surfacer 500 without shriveling the paint.

Vallejo will not do either of these two things.

As Mike as indicated Stynylrez does not peel like Vallejo plus Stynylrez can be sanded to a feather edge (best with wet and dry WET)

with the plastic with out breaking away.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I had another go using it, got much better results, and am beginning to warm to the stuff. Mike's post had me persevere as his advice is always spot-on. It might sound silly, but I have never quite worked out what size my airbrush needles are. I use Badger 200s and the only think I know about the needs and nozzles is one is medium, the other fine. However, having written this I can just imagine the whole forum howling in laughter at my ignorance.

Best Wishes,

Will.