USN Defiant

tc2324

This year has been about real world subjects and dioramas which have been for the most part fun and enjoyable to create. 

Lately however it all seems a little mundane, so to quote a line from a Take That song, I need to Relight My Fire.

Step forward Mr Airfix and his 1/48 BP Defiant.

IMG_5836_zpsxwwzj09k.jpg

So `what if` Boulton Paul answered a call from the US Navy in 1940 to submit a dive bomber carrier based version of their Defiant?

Progress so far has amounted to gathering various bits starting with the back end bit of a Sea Hurricane including the hook. 

The overall shape of that area is very similar to both types so should be reasonably easy bash together.

IMG_5890_zpsk0pwf4om.jpg

Next are a couple of flappy bits that will become the dive brakes similar to the Dauntless. I foresee lots of small drill bits breaking.....!

IMG_5892_zpsittrrnak.jpg

Not sure if this is going to work out or not, but lets see if a bubble canopy can be fitted?

IMG_5893_zpsdjvodowj.jpg

.....  and last but not least, some bombs and ground crew to finish off the look.

IMG_5895_zpsveut767u.jpg

Who knows if this is going to work or even look good, but as with all whiffery, it`s the journey that counts. 

More soon.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2016 at 9:05 AM, Graham Boak said:

Are you going to fit larger flaps (Fowlers or Fairey-Youngmann?) to get the approach speed down to something more acceptable?

I am going to be cutting out some flaps yes. Not sure right now how much larger though as I want to maintain a realistic `bolt on` design. Most types put forward for a role they were not designed for usually adopt a standard airframe with a few modifications to make the idea viable, (if that makes sense?), especially during the very early years of the the war. 

11 hours ago, celt said:

What colour scheme are you going to dress it up in?

Going for a light blue scheme similar to the the early Wildcats.

Hopefull I`ll get more done over the weekend.

I thought that I'd deleted that post.  As I clearly didn't (unless there's something odd about the new system) I suppose that I should follow through with my thinking.  The Defiant was a heavy aircraft with a small wing, so had too high an approach speed for carrier use.  To reduce the approach speed would need a bigger wing or much larger flaps, such as on the Firefly or Barracuda..

• Like 1

And that is a very fair point Graham and I don`t doubt your thinking. I`ll have a think about and see if I can extend the area of the flaps on the existing kit.

I don`t really want to start bashing away with other kits and I`m a bit of a time limit.

The surgery has began.

IMG_5899_zpsvam6wxvh.jpg

IMG_5901_zpsetgtuiyj.jpg

I have cut the inner trailing wing edges so that the dive brakes can be added. The cut off`s will become the enlarges flaps to handle carrier landing slower speeds. (ok, I may have got that slightly wrong, but hey-ho, it`s a whif after all...)

The rear bottom end of the Sea Hurricane has been trimmed to fit as has the bottom rear of the Defiant. It`s a mess, but hopefully you can all see where I`m going with it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...