Cougar F9F-8P 1/48

Hi There everyone!

Here is the goofy looking recce Cougar in 1/48 scale. I have to say that I like the Red/White scheme rather than the usual Gray/white scheme. More colorful.

The kit was really a challenge to complete, Instructions said one way, I choose another...The right way.

I used Gunze acrylics and Alclad II. As for the base I tried to replicate some of the USS Essex flightdeck. Scunkmodel workshops Navy tractor and figures.

I hope you enjoy! 

dsc_0426_57cd751f2a6b220a0e8d964a.jpg

dsc_0427_57cd7522e087c373d524728f.jpg

dsc_0429_57cd7528ddf2b33d95fd33f9.jpg

dsc_0439_57cd752ce087c351a6d9de0f.jpg

dsc_0428_57cd7530ddf2b33dde106c54.jpg

dsc_0450_57cd75349606ee2a88ae1cb4.jpg

dsc_0451_57cd7538e087c3516253f0af.jpg

• Like 36

Looks very much the part there, I hope that will be able to achieve such an excellent biuld and finish. Could tell me where you differed from the instructions so that I will not have same pitfalls when I get around to building this kit please. Simon

Thanks For all sweet comments folks!!

14 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Looks very much the part there, I hope that will be able to achieve such an excellent biuld and finish. Could tell me where you differed from the instructions so that I will not have same pitfalls when I

get around to building this kit please. Simon

The main problem of the kit is the fuselage. Because there are many variants of this bird, the upper fuselage are molded in several pieces(4 pieces) that fits horrible to the wings. In Kitty Hawks instructions they want you to glue the 4 upper fuselage pieces to the belly and then glue the wings to fuselage..This method will give you pretty big gaps to the wing roots. You have to glue each fuselage piece to the wing roots In order:

1. Front fuselage pieces left and right to upper wing pieces. They have to be sanded before they fit properly

2. back fuselage pieces to wings and front fuselage  They have to be sanded alot before they fit properly

3, Glue the belly to the finished upper section of fuselage with wing roots .

Remember to dry fit pieces first and sand the fuselage halves to fit seamless BEFORE you gule them shut.

There are no inner canopy sliding details what so ever in the kit, you have to scratch this things.

I hope this will help you some. Excuse my mistake english i hope you understand.

Edited by Mr styrene

Thank you very much for sharing this beautiful, and very colourful Cougar.

You really created a work of art; I do love it very much!!!

The colour scheme is outstanding and the finish is flawless.

I only can congratulate. Polo.

:goodjob:

2 hours ago, Mr styrene said:

Thanks For all sweet comments folks!!

The main problem of the kit is the fuselage. Because there are many variants of this bird, the upper fuselage are molded in several pieces(4 pieces) that fits horrible to the wings. In Kitty Hawks instructions they want you to glue the 4 upper fuselage pieces to the belly and then glue the wings to fuselage..This method will give you pretty big gaps to the wing roots. You have to glue each fuselage piece to the wing roots In order:

1. Front fuselage pieces left and right to upper wing pieces. They have to be sanded before they fit properly

2. back fuselage pieces to wings and front fuselage  They have to be sanded alot before they fit properly

3, Glue the belly to the finished upper section of fuselage with wing roots .

Remember to dry fit pieces first and sand the fuselage halves to fit seamless BEFORE you gule them shut.

There are no inner canopy sliding details what so ever in the kit, you have to scratch this things.

I hope this will help you some. Excuse my mistake english i hope you understand.