Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk1 - now with new aerial!

This was the second of my quick builds....

Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk1, from the gift set, painted with the free paint (!), again using most of the Eduard etched set. I also cut out the wing tip lights and replaced them with clear sprue shaped to fit.

The paint...... I decided to paint this using the supplied paint pots for the exterior. Ye gods, never again! Way too thick at start and used so much Isoprpyl to thin them down it was unbelievable.

Anyway, hope you like.

DSCF0458_zps6fxs7up8.jpg

DSCF0460_zps500e7snu.jpg

DSCF0461_zpshh5vhmol.jpg

Edited by Bigdave22014
  • Like 18

Thanks for the kind replies.

I'm quite pleased with it, especially with the difficulty of getting the paint to come out the other end of the airbrush!

Just worked out that the last time I built a Hurricane was over 30 years ago! and I'm sure it was an Airfix kit!

Edited by Bigdave22014
Additional info from the depths of my memory...

A very smart looking Hurricane.  Note to self... Must build mine soon.  Sorry to hear about the paint issues.  This seems to come up quite a lot on Airfix's own feedback pages for their starter sets so they really need to sort it out.  

Crisp build and a great paint job.

The aerial is slightly distracting - looks more like a clothes line. I always think in this scale it's better to leave it off completely. IMHO of course..

But very nice indeed. Thanks for showing. 

Grest looking Hurricane, congratulations!. And nice modification to the aerial as well. About the paints, I had the same problems and surprinsingly there was not as much info on the internet as I hoped, but did learn one thing: never thin with isopropyl alcohol. It is too strong and forms a goo that takes too much time to clean afterwards. In fact, it is always messy to clean. Some people are having good results with tamiya's thinner and some other with glassex (have not tried this one yet). 

This is something I'd like to resolve as the colours look accurate at least, can't they be that bad, do they?