Need advice:NorthropT T-38 Talon/ F-5 Differences?

DMC

Thank you yet again, Mr Chladek, USN F-5fs not a problem.  Perusing the options will be a pleasant way to spend some time.

And thank you Mr MacIntyre, very nice photos.  I like the NASA bird.

And, as an aside: way back in the early 60s, I had a job where I often went on the Norfolk Naval Air Station in Virginia.  I remember an article in the local paper about this new airplane that the navy had, in Norfolk, had just acquired. The P-3 Orion.  The Navy spokesman/pilot had described it as a real "fly by wire" airplane.  Of course I had to have a look and liked it immediately.  I still do.  

Thanks, gents,

Dennis

• Like 1

That camoed T-38 I believe is an AT-38B. Only way to know for sure is to look at the base of the tail and see if it has a small reinforcement spine down there.

As for the NASA jet, if you plan to do one with the color weather radar nose, the Trumpeter NASA kit is the only option as there is more to it than painting the nose black. There are subtle bulges on top and bottom of the nose to make room for the radar antenna inside.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your critique, Mr. Chladek. I have a Trumpeter T-38C on the shelf in the shop and, while in the past it has never been an aircraft that has particularly attracted me, on inspection it has certainly awakened an interest. It is a wonderfully sleek machine, and one of the options is the recent 'shamu' colour scheme, which just looks gorgeous.

I am resisting the temptation, but if somebody comes in and buys it I will be upset.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

Here's a shot of a USAF T-38(C?) in Aggressor markings. I don't know it it was actually with an Aggressor unit or if it was a schoolhouse aircraft:

382.jpg

3816.jpg

It's an AT-38B; the pylon and gunsight identify it as such.  The Air Force used them to train newly graduated pilots and WSOs going to fighter assignments in the basics of air to air and air to ground tactics under a program called Lead In Fighter Training (LIFT) at Holloman AFB.  They have since dispersed the training to other bases and renamed it IFF (Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals).

Regards,

Murph

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JMChladek said:

That camoed T-38 I believe is an AT-38B. Only way to know for sure is to look at the base of the tail and see if it has a small reinforcement spine down there.

As for the NASA jet, if you plan to do one with the color weather radar nose, the Trumpeter NASA kit is the only option as there is more to it than painting the nose black. There are subtle bulges on top and bottom of the nose to make room for the radar antenna inside.

Thank you, Mr Chladek.  Monogram F-5f arrived this morning.  I realize that there are plenty of sprue shots available online but thought I'd post a couple anyway.  I like this kit, pretty good detail and apparently it is accurate in shape. I think I'll resist hacking it up in order to convert it into a T-38. 

IMG_00001406.png

Pretty good cockpit(s), doubt I could improve on by scratching a new one.  Pilot figure okay, also.

IMG_00001407.png

Cheers,

Dennis

Meant to include the following link: http://ultra.glo.be/daco/KDCB021.html

Edited by DMC
Link addition
  • Like 2

The best source I've seen of T-38 pictures with the USN and USAF adversary/aggressor units is probably this book

https://www.bookdepository.com/Northrops-T-38-Talon-Don-R-Logan/9780887408007

It's quite an old title and as such does not cover the most recent developments but it's a book that IMHO every T-38 fan must try to have in his/her book collection

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:10 PM, Murph said:

It's an AT-38B; the pylon and gunsight identify it as such.  The Air Force used them to train newly graduated pilots and WSOs going to fighter assignments in the basics of air to air and air to ground tactics under a program called Lead In Fighter Training (LIFT) at Holloman AFB.  They have since dispersed the training to other bases and renamed it IFF (Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals).

Regards,

Murph

Thank you, sir (gender assumed)

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The best source I've seen of T-38 pictures with the USN and USAF adversary/aggressor units is probably this book

https://www.bookdepository.com/Northrops-T-38-Talon-Don-R-Logan/9780887408007

It's quite an old title and as such does not cover the most recent developments but it's a book that IMHO every T-38 fan must try to have in his/her book collection

Thank you, Giogio, looks to be a useful book

Dennis

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

Thanks, Jay and Murph for the info on that AT-38.

Don

No problem, that's a 435 TFTS jet in your photos, which is the squadron I went through for LIFT, and if I read the date stamp on your photos right (May 88) I was just finishing LIFT at the time and getting ready to go to Tyndall.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 7:46 AM, DMC said:

Thank you, Mr Chladek.  Monogram F-5f arrived this morning.  I realize that there are plenty of sprue shots available online but thought I'd post a couple anyway.  I like this kit, pretty good detail and apparently it is accurate in shape. I think I'll resist hacking it up in order to convert it into a T-38. 

Pretty good cockpit(s), doubt I could improve on by scratching a new one.  Pilot figure okay, also.

It's a good kit and you'll have some fun with it. Monogram kits may not be the flashiest of the models seen today, but for what you get, they are excellent models for their time as long as you know you need to use a little filler and TLC with them when building.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:55 AM, JMChladek said:

My pleasure. There are some cool things that can be done with the Monogram F-5F. It may not be a T-38, but the F has worn a lot of nice paintjobs. Plus, while everyone typically does the infamous Top Gun MiG-28 with the F-5Es, not as many build the F-5F, of which one was painted in those colors for the movie (with Goose shooting a Polaroid of it). That would be one way to do an F-5F in gloss black anyway. ;)

I saw Top Gun years ago but went ahead and bought a two disc set off the 'Bay anyway.  Forgot about the cringe making dialog and cheesy, improbable, love story but enjoyed the in-air stuff.   Didn't realize just how small the F-5s were compared to the F-14s.  I have started on the Monogram kit and was going to do it strictly OOB but after comparing the kit's cockpit to photos of the real thing I couldn't resist tweaking it just a little.  I'll open a WIP thread pretty soon.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 21 September 2016 at 7:41 AM, Dave Fleming said:

Somewhere I have. Scan of an article on doing an F5B to T38 conversion in 1/72

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, however it's probably better than starting another one? 

Now Dave, did you ever find this scanned article to convert a 1/72 F-5B to a T-38? 

I've got an original Esci F-5B kit and have been having strange thoughts of attempting such a conversion. 

Also, does anyone know we're one can obtain good 1/72 T-38 NASA decals in lieu of begging someone to part with some usable Hasegawa decals? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, however it's probably better than starting another one? 

Now Dave, did you ever find this scanned article to convert a 1/72 F-5B to a T-38? 

I've got an original Esci F-5B kit and have been having strange thoughts of attempting such a conversion. 

Also, does anyone know we're one can obtain good 1/72 T-38 NASA decals in lieu of begging someone to part with some usable Hasegawa decals? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Yeah, drop me a PM, and I’ll email you a copy

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip Don, I’ll do some research and hunt around for these decals. I suspect my chances are pretty slim, however you never know your luck! 

Cheers.. Dave

Hi Dave,

I saw a sheet by VM Decals on the internet for 1/72 NASA T-38s but I don't know what the availability or quality is like. They were printed by Fantasy Printshop

Edited by Phil Evans
added internet

Thanks @Phil Evans  here’s a link to the sheet, however I can’t tell if it’s still available or not? There is no listed price or anywhere to ‘click and buy’.. http://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/T-38-Nasa_ARAZX.aspx

I might have to drop Fantasy a quick line to see what’s the go. 

Cheers.. Dave