Folland Gnat 1/72

Doc72

Hi folks,

here is my Airfix 1/72 Folland Gnat. The Gnat is really a cute little jet. The Airfix kit is somewhat less cute, though. Fit wasn't good and I really don't like these deep and broad panel lines. Finally, I decided to fill them up with putty. Rescribing the lines would have been the best solution but on such a small model with an attractive colour scheme and lots of stencils it doesn't look too bad with a smooth surface. The painting of this model suffered from some near-catastrophic masking-failures that were entirely my fault.

The silver paint is from Vallejo. For the day-glo red I followed some advice from this forum and airbrushed a basecoat of bright red (Tamiya) followed by fluorescent red from Vallejo. Regardless of the manufacturer the coverage or opacity of neon or fluorescent paint always seems to be bad and, therefore, the base coat is needed.

P1280512_zpszch1c2ln.jpg

P1280516_zpswj6vzzwl.jpg

P1280518_zpsxcy0kuvb.jpg

P1280520_zps1smzb5x1.jpg

• Like 14

Hello,Doc72 - Well done indeed on a fine looking build of your 'Gnat'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work along with the 'clean' appearance.Maybe the addition of a drop of red and green for the anti-collision and navigation lights would really complete this beautiful model? :goodjob: All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Doc72: 

Congratulations for your nice job in this one!!!

Even tought you said that have some issues, I think that the final result of this build is a nice looking model. Here you have experienced some troubles and new techniques too and without a doubt, more than one people will follow you replicating this nice build.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers from Guatemala!!!

Luis Alfonso