This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

DDoS and Brute Force Attacks on Britmodeller

I had a quick look as well - talk about a "victim" culture.......

I also had a quick look at their actual forums and even in their forum rules, without mentioning BM they seem to have a victim mentality. Mind you, one or two of them admit that even after being banned, they still visit BM and use the resources and research that fellow BM members have collated for their own builds!!!!!!!!

I for one am grateful of all the hard work that the moderators put in to keep the forums working and in line. There is nothing worse than when threads get nasty and malicious - we all know the rules and we shouldn't get shirty when we break them. One big cheer for Mike et al for the work they do in keeping us rabble in good order!!!!:worthy:

The forum is envisaged to launch around the end of this month/beginning of next. We have purchased the very latest Invision V4 software and have kindly been offered space on a dedicated server, so it makes sense to redress the balance and karma. A small team of invites have been asked to check through things, and we hope you like it.

Whoops! :suicide:

That may prove to be a very costly mistake.....Go get 'em lads!  :fight:

IF it's them, they also use Invision, as does this site. I can't see Invision being  happy with having to sort out one of their own customers.

Fair comment.  :coolio:

So they do actually have a site and it does use that software?  :shrug:

I'm not familiar with any of this pettiness.....I don't use FB etc. and I really don't understand this sort of fanatical obsession over imagined slights in what is, after all, supposed to be a hobby.  :rolleyes:

Yes... let's dial this back a bit please.  We're not about witch-hunts here, so can we not speculate any further :)

awwww, I like witch-hunts

They're great fun, what with the 'do they float' test, the ducking stool game and as for the bonfire.....I enjoy the party atmosphere, roasting chestnuts, spit roasted sparrows dipped in garlic sauce, kin-ig-its bashing at each other.....a great day for all the family [and the serfs too]

8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

awwww, I like witch-hunts

They're great fun, what with the 'do they float' test, the ducking stool game and as for the bonfire.....I enjoy the party atmosphere, roasting chestnuts, spit roasted sparrows dipped in garlic sauce, kin-ig-its bashing at each other.....a great day for all the family [and the serfs too]

Build a bridge out of her!

1 hour ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Behind the bike shed at playtime was so much easier :fight:

Not sure about that. Depends what you used to do behind the bike shed at playtime... :wub:

Crikey Boss.

I've been little on here of late due to work commitments, but was just thinking the slowness was down to teething troubles. Sad to hear it's down to tecno-scrotes have a furkle in your back end code.

JohnT is a top brief - so I'm sure the perps will be dealt with. ( should that be McBrief? LOL)

FWIW, and I realise it's off topic here, I really like this new look. So Hats & Huzzars from me to the team. Hell - it's actually a Top Banana moment too!

Cheers

Jonners

There are some very sad people out there.

As Mrs M tells me, "you're only sticking silly little bits of plastic together".

Well excuse me! Some bits aren't small.....

Trevor 

Chaps

may I please make a request of you all.  Mike and the others who run this place have a policy that we have had in place for several months that despite what may be said about him personally and this forum and its members elsewhere we will not reciprocate in kind nor even acknowledge those comments publicly.  There are several reasons for that.  Some are legalistic and others are well, quite frankly there are better things to do in life.  We discussed whether to remove the posts above under that policy however that is a step too far and what is now in the domain of the forum is there.  No doubt some will have a look and see what has been said openly on the net and you can come to your own view on the content and style of comment  and by whom it has been made.  Please however refrain from discussing others in the manner in which they have discussed Mike and this forum.  The people I know on here are better than that.

The ongoing inquiry will take some months to complete.  We are presently contemplating a damages claim against one individual who was pulled up some months ago from making defamatory statements and separately holding Mike up to public ridicule.  Back then he gave an undertaking to my firm that if we did not pursue him through the courts he would refrain from similar comment in future.  He has breached that undertaking.  The court would regard that as an aggravation of conduct increasing the size of the damages claim.  So there are ongoing issues which are behind the scenes and taking a bit out of Mike.  If you wish to comment please do so in a private PM to Mike and leave public comment out of matters for now.  Rest assured Mikes and the forums interests are being looked after.

Yours aye

JohnT

PS re the above - Once in my world defendants find the chair aint so comfy and the cushion aint soft - nor am I like Mickey Mouse but like all predators am happy to be mistaken for him till in close

For me, modelling is a wonderful, artistic and peaceful escape from the stresses of life whether for a few minutes or a few hours. Shame to see some people can't keep this all in perspective.

Thank you to all the people working on Britmodeller.com; a terrific site, resource and community.

Regards,

Robert

2 hours ago, Ceithearn said:

For me, modelling is a wonderful, artistic and peaceful escape from the stresses of life whether for a few minutes or a few hours. Shame to see some people can't keep this all in perspective.

Thank you to all the people working on Britmodeller.com; a terrific site, resource and community.

Regards,

Robert

What about when the carpet monster swallows that vital part, the one that the whole model depends on? Not peaceful then is it? :poo: Well certainly not in my house anyway. Lots of swearing and crawling around the floor with a torch.

But yes, thank you Mike, John and all the other folk who work hard to keep the site going. I know I'm not just speaking for myself when I say it's an absolute pleasure to be here.

13 hours ago, Brad said:

You won't catch them.

I was recently involved in a case where somebody thought just that. Very, very expensive mistake. English (and Scottish I believe) Law is very robust on cyber-crime. After a slow start we've had several high profile cases that have tightened things up and caused a lot of people including  a certain newspaper/media owner a lot of money.

Never underestimate the power of self-delusion, some will take the smallest thing and fret on it until it consumes their very being. At that point they believe the ends justify the means and proceed accordingly. I used to work with a guy who was warned for repeated racist/sexist remarks. He really believed that being the brother of the Union Rep made him invulnerable so he carried on, encouraged by his little band of barrack room lawyers, right up to the moment when he was marched out by security and relieved of his access pass.

Karma can be a bitch

14 hours ago, Brad said:

You won't catch them.

Did you read John T's posting, two above yours?

I've been away for a week..no computer,phones,TV or newspapers...so have just been catching up with this.

I'm glad that this site is genuinely friendly, I do gain a great deal from it and will continue to support it with donations when I can afford it.

I am saddened (but not surprised)that there are still people out there who would attempt to destroy it.

To Mike, JohnT and the rest of the team beavering away in the background..Thank you!

Richard

I fear this thread is descending into unnecessary finger pointing.  There is a very public dispute between the BM moderating group, and former BM members. Anybody (like me) who knows even a little bit of the history of these disagreements, can all too easily read between the lines, and begin to think that accusations are being made at specific individuals. Based on what I've read here, there is no evidence yet linking the DDOS vandalism to a known party. And as per the above lawyer's comments, if such evidence does become available, it will most likely not be made public until it passes through the legal machinery.

Therefore, let us be more measured in our comments and replies. Let us not unintentionally and (I hope) unnecessarily smear any current or former BM members who may now have an internet presence elsewhere.

To some of you, certain individuals must already seem guilty. Know that your comments(whether implicit or outright), only serve to prematurely feed others' perception of their guilt. This is wrongheaded and does little more than reinforce divides in the online-modeling community. 

And what for? We're a small (relatively speaking) community of people who hold in common, a penchant for gluing plastic kits together. There is already much that divides us (Politics, religion, physical distance), let us not add unfounded accusations to that list. 

If the vandals are in fact members of the modeling community, then too bad for us all. It will suck to learn of that, but let us reserve our judgment until we know for sure. 

Edited for clarity

Edited by SoftScience