This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

DDoS and Brute Force Attacks on Britmodeller

Since the day after we upgraded, we have been under a concerted attack by a person or persons using a number of 'bots and other people's Proxy networks to carry out what is called a Distributed Denial of Service attack, which is a method by which these 'bots submit thousands of requests to the website per second to overload the server and bring the site to its knees.  While this is going on, they were also making Brute Force attacks on our remote communications port to try and breach the server so they could do anything from format the hard drives to change ownership of the site.

We have been combating this with the tools available to us, and are gathering evidence against the attackers, who are persisting with their attack regardless of the consequences to themselves.  On the advice of our Lawyers, we have today informed the National Crime Agency and requested their assistance with the matter, and their initial response has been positive, so we are allowing them access to the server and its logs.  Hackers are seldom able to completely mask their real identity and location, and we have some very competent people working on it on our behalf.

We don't believe that this is a random attack, but for the time being we're probably still going to have to put up with some disturbance and interruption to the usually fast response of the website such as we were experiencing once the upgrade had finished and before the attack started.  We will prevail, and don't worry about it.  We're the target, but we're backing up offsite, so these people will not win. :)

By all means ask any questions you might have about the incident, but please don't stoop to name calling.  We know what they are already ;)

Mike, Greg, Dave & Julien.

This could account for the slow running at times.

Some sad individual out there with nothing better to do.

At least you and the gang are onto it, with the "big boys " involved to.

Simon.

whooa, way heavy and very serious like.

Glad to know youse lot are on it.

Very unfortunate for youse tho as it eats into your free time and a happy transition

Of course, but now the NCA are on it as well as our Hosts. :)

Sounds pretty much like an episode of 24 to me, but it's nice to know that a fight back against the perps is in action.

Cheers

Dennis

Just wanted to say I think it's great you're so open about this. No secrets, just telling the forum members what's been going on. I like it!

Crikey thats sneaky. Do you think they were watching the site and waiting for the upgrade to 'mask' their attacks so we would think the slowdown was cause of the new software etc? 

29 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Nca  are  like the NCIS right ?? Soon men in black smashing windows and rounding up the bad guys  ????

Good Lord, no.  Probably invite them round to Scotland Yard for a spot of tea and tell them "It's not quite the done thing, Old Boy, what-ho?"

Hope it gets sorted.

Cheers Will 

Morons like that just spoil everything

I hope you're abl to make them go away

For as long as possible, they wreck everything

B

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Good Lord, no.  Probably invite them round to Scotland Yard for a spot of tea and tell them "It's not quite the done thing, Old Boy, what-ho?"

Legend has it that an officer from Scotland yard will never have a drink with the person he's just about to arrest

Legend has it that there are still officers at Scotland Yard...

Really don't understand what the hackers hope to gain from disrupting/taking down this site, unless you're holding onto people's paypal/cc info?!

Edited by Raven Morpheus

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Legend has it that an officer from Scotland yard will never have a drink with the person he's just about to arrest

Must have been different in Manchester then as my father often invited a villain (of the Norman Stanley Fletcher type) he was about to nick to the pub for a drink first.

Has anyone thought that these problems the site has been suffering may well be the authorities themselves? After all there must be several threads asking for information on bombs and other weapons and other suchlike trigger words that must get the bells ringing at the NSA / GCHQ Cheltenham for a manual check.

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Crikey thats sneaky. Do you think they were watching the site and waiting for the upgrade to 'mask' their attacks so we would think the slowdown was cause of the new software etc? 

That's very possible... We shall see.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Morons like that just spoil everything

I hope you're abl to make them go away

For as long as possible, they wreck everything

B

Indeed.  Some people just like to watch the world burn, especially if it will help them feel superior for a second. :shrug:

Thanks for the support fellas :) I've got a mountain of email from Support to look at now, as they've been popping up every few seconds while I was doing a bit of a boring but necessary task on the forum.

You do have to question what they could possibly want with this site? I mean, there may be something of interest in people's PMs but apart from that its a hell of a lot of data for not a lot of any great value I imagine. Unless models are considerably more valuable than I thought.

Just now, Stosh65 said:

You do have to question what they could possibly want with this site?

They want the site to go down, and be inconvenient so that everyone flocks elsewhere.  At a guess.  If it turns out to be just a random hack-attack, well, scratch the last 5 words :shrug:

I will never understand that mentality, but perhaps that's a good thing, as it means I don't think that way.

Hi Richard - Thanks for the suggestion :) I've just been reading all the emails from Support, and it looks like we've got something in place now that will help a lot. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information,Mike. Words ain't much but if these mo....s read this, let them know we'll stay true to Britmodeller. I wish the team well in this fight.

This all is extremely hi-tech. For them to be trying to hack in, in a way that could actually control drives....

What a waste of intellligence. If they know how to do something like this, surely they could put their  expert knowledge towards doing something actually useful. 

I'm another that simply can't understand this cyber-bullying/attack mentality. 

Thanks for for keeping us all informed Mike.

Best regards

Tony

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

Has anyone thought that these problems the site has been suffering may well be the authorities themselves? After all there must be several threads asking for information on bombs and other weapons and other suchlike trigger words that must get the bells ringing at the NSA / GCHQ Cheltenham for a manual check.

The MIB have not been to my door this week, and I never refer to 'special weapons'. I refer openly to nukes and always have on forums. If GCHQ were worried, I expect they would have raided me - or Belcher Bits by now - he makes the things. :boom:

PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE

Dear Fellow Members

As some of you may know my law firm is assisting Mike in this matter.  Unfortunately it is possible that those responsible for this attack are either domiciled within the UK or are connected to those responsible for this attack even though they might appear to be based outside the UK at first examination.  Once identified and any criminal proceedings are completed it is highly probable that civil proceedings will follow seeking damages and compensation at a substantial level.  We shall also seek an injunction at the High Court in both English and Scottish jurisdictions.  The costs implications for those responsible are significant to say the least so this will not be a cost free exercise for them.  Indeed it will most likely be life changing unless they are exceptionally well off and can afford to lose a few hundred thousand here and there.  

I am asking the membership if they will contact me as the lawyer acting for Mike should they have any information that might assist with enquiries.  All information received will be treated in the utmost confidence and your identity will not be revealed without your consent.  Any information should be communicated to me via my firms e-mail address

john.taylor@chamberslegallimited.co.uk

Unfortunately and sad to say it is highly likely that it has been organised by someone within the world wide modelling community as a malicious act rather than being an attempt to extort finance.  For that reason it is possible that something may have been said which a member may have heard and wish to pass on given this affects everyone who is a member here one way or the other.  If perchance you do know anything then it is the right and decent thing not to remain silent.  

Yours aye

JohnT