Next Kiwi Mosquito engine runs.

Pete M.

19 hours ago, hairystick said:

Kermit already has a Mossie, which is in good condition, although it hasn't flown for a few years and is resident in one of his museums.

It flew to Oshkosh in about 1994 and has been at the EAA Airventure museum ever since. Kermit still owns it though.

I hope Rod Lewis will allow it to be displayed here, but even February seems far away when he could have it shipped to him sooner.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, hairystick said:

The only thing that video lacks is the rampant humidity today!

HOT & sticky.

At least there appears to be some breeze out there at Ardmore! None here on the North Shore. All windows and doors open, and a fan on..

Cheers,

Pete M. 🌡️:penguin:

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wings over Wairarapa?? :unsure:

Steve.

There are rumours...

It was 1133hr today under the command of Steve Hinton and restoration shop head Warren Denholm! A second flight was made mid-afternoon. I sadly couldn't be there but a good mate was: https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/sets/72157702475228531/with/32845292778/

More pics at two of our three blogs, MRC Aviation and NZ Civil Aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Fredag said:

Just in case anyone's planning on invading us, we have fighters and fighter-bombers!

I don't know how long it is exactly but PZ474 is destined to head to its new home in Texas once testing is complete, so we don't get it for long sadly.

The NZ Civil Aircraft blog has posted some more photos of the Mossie and the Spitfire Tr.IX chase plane, and comparison photos of the three Mossies so far completed to airworthiness at Ardmore.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if we will see the next one, DZ542, in its final configuration?

Built as a B.IV srsii it was modified in 1943 to a "Highball" aircraft. It was then modified again in 1944 as a "Highball" aircraft to operate off a carrier. In its final configuration it had an arrestor hook and 4 bladed props amongst other features. It was shipped out to Australia in Nov 1944 on either HMS Fencer or Striker where it remained until being struck off in 1946. Only 25 were built to that final standard.

I'm getting ready to go out o NZ 🇳🇿for my month long trip . Will be in the Auckland area from the 20th Feb to 27th. What are the chances of being able to make a visit to Ardmore and he hope of seeing 474 or any of the others there???:pray:

Very frustratingly I will miss the Wairarapa show!☹️😞

Just head out to Ardmore. Pay a visit to the warbirds visitor centre while there chat to them.

you could always send avspecs an email and ask them if you could have a look same with pioneer aviation.

Go buy a model in ‘The Model Room’ in Papakura  on the way out or back from Ardmore and also go take in the Zero and Spitfire at the Auckland war memorial museum.

if you really wanted you could book a Spitfire flight at Ardmore if you have the cash.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, Paul J said:

Will be in the Auckland area from the 20th Feb to 27th. What are the chances of being able to make a visit to Ardmore and he hope of seeing 474 or any of the others there???:pray:

It "might" happen...

Sadly it all depends on how long the test flying will take. After that it will be stripped down and containerised for transport to the US.

20 hours ago, Plasto said:

Just head out to Ardmore. Pay a visit to the warbirds visitor centre while there chat to them.

you could always send avspecs an email and ask them if you could have a look same with pioneer aviation.

Go buy a model in ‘The Model Room’ in Papakura  on the way out or back from Ardmore and also go take in the Zero and Spitfire at the Auckland war memorial museum.

if you really wanted you could book a Spitfire flight at Ardmore if you have the cash.

Thanks. Regards the Spit fligt, As much as I would love to, it has already cost me an arm nd a few legs to get there. Regardless I know I will enjoy visiting New Zealand.

7 minutes ago, hairystick said:

It "might" happen...

Sadly it all depends on how long the test flying will take. After that it will be stripped down and containerised for transport to the US.

I'll send an email to find out the possibility of a visit in advance I think.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, k5054nz said:

It flew to Oshkosh in about 1994 and has been at the EAA Airventure museum ever since. Kermit still owns it though.

I came across it in a hangar at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. I used to make a pilgrimage to see it every day of the show. I told a couple of Aussies I met at  about it and I saw anyone get so excited. People love the Mosquito.

I wonder why Kermit Weeks doesn't fly it? You can't have enough Mossies in the air IMHO.

Incidentally Kermit has an active Facebook account. Maybe someone could ask about the Mosquito. He often interacts online. Actually thinking of it I saw him at OSH. Could have asked then.

Not much point in me hoping to see this when I get there by the sound of it. Will have to make do with what will be there. Shame all these Mossies are in the US. And none bound for the UK apart from one...... maybe.