Next Kiwi Mosquito engine runs.

Pete M.

21 hours ago, nuuumannn said:

Its currently being pulled to bits for its journey to the USA. I took these today.

Once again, my timing is out! I am on holiday from next week, and was hoping to get out to Ardmore to see her flying...no chance now!

Andy Hosking (one of the team at AVSPECS) was at our IPMS Auckland club meeting on Tuesday evening, and told me of the current state...he also gave a short talk to the members regarding the restoration/rebuilding of these Mossies.

I am still intending to spend a day out there next week, and see what's going on in several of the hangers there!

Pete M. :cheers:

On 21/10/2016 at 11:19 PM, alpine_modeller said:

Another one goes to Uncle Sam ?? :(

Yes. Done for Paul Allen's (co-founder of Microsoft) Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field in Seattle.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• 2 years later...

Adding to this thread rather than start another...

Avspecs have released some images of the next Mossie fuselage that has been built and assembled (still bare & in the timber) which is a BIV bomber DZ542.

Final topcoat of paint is on the current build, so hopefully in the air very soon!

• Like 1

I'll be in NZ next February and hopefully get to see the next one.  Plan to visit a number of collections and very much look forward to the trip!

• Like 2

PZ474 looks super!

I'd be guessing Banff wing too. Nice EDSG/Sky with invasion stripes and rocket rails...

Where's this one ultimately off to? The US?

I have an unrealistic hope that it will still be in NZ next Easter and may grace the skies at CF19...

So what does that leave at Ardmore now? Only DZ542 (B.IV) and NZ2308 (T.43)?

I know one of those is scheduled for The Pathfinder Trust in the UK but which one? Working out the final owners of these NZ Mossies can be rather complicated!

Edited by Gazontipede
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gazontipede said:

I have an unrealistic hope that it will still be in NZ next Easter and may grace the skies at CF19...

You & me both, I saw EG-Y KA114 just after her first flight at Ardmore, I'd love to see another in the air.

Steve.

PZ474 is owned by Rod Lewis who has his Lewis Air Legends collection in Texas. She was the only Mossie to fly on the NZ civil register until KA114 in 2012, and had served in the RNZAF, so it's very special to see her rebirth back "home".

For those unable to view the video, here are a couple of screenshots taken on my phone (apologies for the quality). She looks spectacular! I've seen one suggestion these are 235 Sqn colours.

45755324472_5204d34a4b_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
45804644981_ede6eab75c_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
45080364574_46c79dfb58_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
45755324422_285f4f5e9f_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
43988154750_7c9103d2d5_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
44891852655_1c4e85f704_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Is this the one that got to the USA & then sat derelict for a long time Zac?

Steve.

Like hairystick confirmed, it certainly is. RAF as PZ474, to the RNZAF as NZ2384, then registered ZK-BCV to for an American firm - one of six, but only this one was able to fly out of NZ before the government intervened - then it became N9099F and slowly degraded into the ground. Thank goodness she was saved and, to top it off, is once more registered ZK-BCV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

please be at Omaka Classic Fighters!

Please be at Omaka Classic Fighters!

Please be at Omaka Classic Fighters!

I'd be pleased, but I seem to remember someone mentioning that once test flying is done she's straight off to Texas.

Some pics of the aforementioned taxiing with rockets: https://mrcaviation.blogspot.com/2018/11/de-havilland-mosquito-zk-bcv-updated-16.html

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

please be at Omaka Classic Fighters!

Much as I'd love this to be right, Wings over Wairarapa Feb 22-24 is the airshow most likely to see this before it flees the country IF any airshow does. My sister lives handy, I'll be keeping my ears open for news. :)

Steve.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Much as I'd love this to be right, Wings over Wairarapa Feb 22-24 is the airshow most likely to see this before it flees the country IF any airshow does. My sister lives handy, I'll be keeping my ears open for news. :)

Steve.

Yeah, I think you're spot on. Still, we can all live in hope for a CF appearance. (Or is that denial :D?)

Way back (was it CF13?) I remember KA114 was on all the early promo posters for that year's show. She did at least perform at Wairarapa before leaving for the US.

IIRC, TV959 didn't even do that, fleeing the country almost immediately upon completion of flight tests.

I guess we'll see what happens with PZ474.

If only one of these birds was owned by Kermit Weeks, I rather get the impression he's quite fond of the CF airshows.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

IIRC, TV959 didn't even do that, fleeing the country almost immediately upon completion of flight tests.

If only one of these birds was owned by Kermit Weeks, I rather get the impression he's quite fond of the CF airshows.

Correct, 959 was straight off after flight tests and caa airworthiness approval. I think KA114 had to do so many hours here for a reason (type certification??) and was at Ardmore and Masterton airshows.

Kermit already has a Mossie, which is in good condition, although it hasn't flown for a few years and is resident in one of his museums. Whether it will take to the skies again...

• Like 1