Fw200 c4/u2? maybe a c5/8 and a c3 (revell and trumpeter)

30390930044_81b2b881ec_z.jpg

Wiring loom take1 (fail)
Pictures from 19-11-16
Hyper excited I rushed, quickly laying down wires, once set out I pulled them all off and joined into a loom, soldering seemed to be going ok, so I rushed my way through. When attempting to squash what I thought was a neat little loom into the airframe, my bubble quickly burst! Scrapped. Even after stripping the electrical tape, it just wasn't right, too much wire here and not enough there. I did learn a lot.......

30844724730_4a67051d96_z.jpg

Draw a diagram!
Picture from 26-10-16 but it showed what I wanted, so I recycled it. What I learnt was to plan properly the task at hand! Here is my idea for the loom V2. With hindsight it's obviously what I should have done in the first instance. That's it, off to bed.....19-11-16 (pic modified in art studio and photogene.)

31212645875_5bd49c6002_z.jpg

Wiring take2
20-11-16
This time, I had a plan! Each wire was traced and cut, then soldered into place. I worked my way around each led anode (+), testing to make sure!
My first attempt at R1, I used heat shrink which I heated and it shrunk, but it followed the nobbly bobbly effort of my soldering. Take 2, I just slipped the heat shrink over and left it alone. This really tidied up the joint.
Once the front section was installed I connected up the 3 cathodes (-) with fly leads.
Hurrah, it lights up in the kit!
You can see why I opted for two lights in the main cabin area as it is noticeably dimmer towards the rear.

31098904861_599f981f24_z.jpg

End of play 20-11-16
That's it, front half almost complete. I've had some practice and now it's on to what I consider to be the most complex section, the resistor bank around the rear upper gunners area.

30406943413_6b10946223_z.jpg

Resistor bank
21st to 24th November.
This part was difficult!
That overhead led caused me loads of problems. I just couldn't get it to solder. Perseverance prevails.
This sequence sort of shows the route I took fitting it all in. While they aren't perfectly lined up I am pretty much happy with the resistor network. Almost every element of my original idea has been modified or adapted to fit within the airframe.
Only one joint I'm less than pleased with, middle resistor port bank from rear led. I don't like the wire path. All resistors (R2 91R) feed in from the front and are connected behind the rear frame in a U shape which is also connected to R3 (bottom of port bank) which then passes through the floor pan to pick up the dc- completing the circuit.
Most of this can be seen in the bottom picture.

30406942963_29d259bb1b_z.jpg

Circuit testing
22nd and 24th November.
Left shot, 5 LEDs (+) complete. Fly leads to cathode. Major milestone!
Or at least that's what I thought, this shot precedes the resistor network....
Right hand shots, today!
24th November......
Yellow lead in (from switch)
Black fly lead to R3.
So, during this phase of the build, 50% of the luggage rack rails are damaged (knocked free, need glueing) and 75% of the bulkheads have sustained damage. Only frame 5 is not damaged. I've burnt my fingers, severely burnt my hand (a soldering iron is NOT a screwdriver, yeah you can guess what I did!)
And burnt the main cable to the iron which is now showing melted yellow and brown wires, very close shave!
I still need to finish the battery install and the recharge loop, then that's all. LEDs in.
The end.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Crikey, modeller and Electronic Engineer... great stuff Jamie, can't wait to see pictures of her lit up.

Wow cheers, honestly thank Adrian.

it was his idea! (Or fault.....) ;)

I would not have even tried this if he didn't suggest it.

I'm glad he did.

In the end it turned out ok, I think.

It wasn't without headaches though!

Maybe next time it will be easier!

Thanks again......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

W.i.p noise toaster

Adrian, Consider yourself blamed! 😂

(see what happened next!)

I got totally sidetracked and built this thing! (Together with my brother we built two, he did the soldering, I did the planning) It's a lo-fi synthesiser unit namely the MFOS noise toaster , basically several synth modules in one box! The schematic isn't mine but I did plan it out onto the Veroboard/strip board! What a learning curve that was.......absolute headache of a scale my grey matter has never before dealt with. Now it's almost over with just a few details to finish I can get back into something I know!

Apologies for the delay, this build will resume very soon.......

Edited by It's a disease
Spelling as usual.....
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello Jamie,

I had to do a search here on Britmodeller to find your builds!

I just received another FW 200 A in the post; the other one arrived crushed :weep:.

I wondered if you had made any progress on your Condors?

My wife would like ours to have lights, and I have to make a lot of seats, so I'm reading your build again carefully.

Hope you are well :)

Best regards

TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony!

last time I signed in here the page had a different header!

So it's all changed......

I haven't done very much modelling at all this year I'm afraid. I got sidetracked after Christmas as my decals for the me 262 arrived, naturally I switched the bench to accommodate that build! (Very nearly finished)

Most of the year ive been struggling financially and as such, have been unable to concentrate properly on anything save where I'm getting the next car payment from.

Times are good again.

Expect work to continue in due course.

If you need anything (like a copy of the seat blank maybe or who knows what! Maybe a bit of luggage rack?) let me know.......

I'll do all I can to sort you out.

• Like 1