1/72 Stearman Kaydet Crop Duster

Ozmac

Just as I was about to build this 1/72 Revell kit of the Stearman Kaydet in the usual Air Force trainer plane colours that the kit suggested, I changed my mind and turned it into a simple fantasy crop duster.

U2MtnN.jpg

One spark for the change to the crop duster was the mention in the Revell kit’s notes that lots of surplus Stearmans ended up as crop dusters post-war. 

Z26WWH.jpg

The other spark was a biography I was reading at the same time, of the famous Australian aviation pioneer, Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. In the book the author said at one point that Smithy was a great aviator, but a hopeless businessman, and if it wasn’t for his partner, business-savvy Charles Ulm, Smithy might have just ended up doing no record-setting flights and just having fun as another talented crop duster pilot somewhere in Australia's farmland areas.

3rjmYi.jpg

I made up my own decals, and my own colour scheme, added some very basic sprayer pipes under the bottom wing. I did look online at real Stearman crop dusters, and they were not only beyond my scratch building skills, but also ugly as hell to look at. So I stuck with my much prettier little fantasy and had a lot of fun making it.

Edited by Ozmac
  • Like 17

A great little fun conversion and well done. Did you know that several 450 HP Stearmans were imported into Australia for possible agricultural use but the authorities would have none of it and they were eventually crated up and sent back ?.

Great Work,   Trev.

vh-bob, I didn't know that story about the Stearmans in Australia, it's a really interesting extra detail to add to the story. Thanks.

I suppose the front cockpit would have been faired over to cover the hopper tank…

Yep, Spitfire31, that's what they did, and the photos I saw online of 1:1 Stearman crop dusters weren't very appealing. Most of the hopper tank covers were made from flat pieces of metal welded together in a fairly ugly, if utilitarian way. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not much of a scratch-builder anyway, but I just didn't want to add anything ugly to my pretty little Stearman.

On 18/09/2016 at 0:18 AM, Ozmac said:

Just as I was about to build this 1/72 Revell kit of the Stearman Kaydet in the usual Air Force trainer plane colours that the kit suggested, I changed my mind and turned it into a simple fantasy crop duster.

U2MtnN.jpg

One spark for the change to the crop duster was the mention in the Revell kit’s notes that lots of surplus Stearmans ended up as crop dusters post-war. 

Z26WWH.jpg

The other spark was a biography I was reading at the same time, of the famous Australian aviation pioneer, Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. In the book the author said at one point that Smithy was a great aviator, but a hopeless businessman, and if it wasn’t for his partner, business-savvy Charles Ulm, Smithy might have just ended up doing no record-setting flights and just having fun as another talented crop duster pilot somewhere in Australia's farmland areas.

3rjmYi.jpg

I made up my own decals, and my own colour scheme, added some very basic sprayer pipes under the bottom wing. I did look online at real Stearman crop dusters, and they were not only beyond my scratch building skills, but also ugly as hell to look at. So I stuck with my much prettier little fantasy and had a lot of fun making it.

I keep on thinking of doing one as there is one at Compton abbas just down the road where you can actually do wing walking as for skills I wouldn't even attempt rigging.   Well done good job

Rodders 

• Like 1