THE CONTINUATION OF MY SCRATCH BUILT B17G!

Fozzy

Hi again

Quick up date!

I have started to spray paint the basic colours I am going to use on this bomb bay....there are so many variations from all aluminum finish....all interior green...or a mixture of both....so I have gone with the latter!....just think it looks good;)

Every modeller has different ways of painting their models. This is the system that I always use.

1. Spray paint the basic colours.

2. Spray a shiny sealant over the paint....I use Johnsons Wax Klear ...wonderful stuff but not in production any more.

3. Hand paint certain detailed areas.

4. Paint  a wash of Oil Paints...usually black or burnt umber over the entire area ( the base colours must be dry before you do this...at least 24 hours... else the turpentine will lift the paint!..all the oil wash gets into the nooks and crannies bringing everything to life!

5. Dry brush silver/white over painted area...this will bring out all the surface detail.

6.Have a cup of tea and pat yourself on the back for a job well done!:)

So at the moment I have just sprayed the basic colours...and the sealant ...as you can see here.......

rt%20002_zpseoar0vrj.jpg

bv%20002_zpslfyel2h1.jpg

rt%20005_zpsdmaosddd.jpg

So as you can see...it all looks lifeless and flat!....its time to go to step 3 on wards!

....but before I do that I was experimenting with the cat walk flooring....and came up with a plan!.....I was looking at my wet and dry rubbing down paper (as you do!!) and thought it might look good cut and glued over the cat walk.

The piece I used was a used piece making it look all scruffed up so to speak!....

bv%20001_zps3dklltb6.jpg

So I cut to shape and used some UHU glue to glue it down.......

vf_zpsetipfvbl.jpg

bv%20006_zpsywi5y5km.jpg

bv%20003_zpst8fv7gem.jpg

What you reckon?...think it just might do the trick :)

Ok then....so now its onto step 3 to 6!

I'll come back when that's complete

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 15

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well, steps one and two work for me!

Looking fabulous as always, Fozzy.

Must be cold down there. Keep warm.

And keep the updates coming.

Regards

Pete

Cheers Pete!....the temperatures are rising now clearing some of the snow ...a few days ago it was -15C at night and -10C during the day....been like that all winter!...terrible winter all across Eastern Europe!...all I can do is stay in my workshop with a fire on and do some modelling...what a shame eh?;)

• Like 3

It would a been daft not to knuckle down

and relax by the fire. :)

Even with the about to become legendary steps one and two it really does look awesome Fozzy

Wonderful architectural model making

• Like 1

^ Wot they said. Great stuff Fozzy and thanks for the step by step, really helpful.

The W&D walkway looks just right to me - great idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looks great! Klear is still made, it's now Pledge Multi surface finish (at least here in the US).

Ian

Cheers Ian...and thanks for the heads up on Klear!....I am off to the States in a month I will look out for some Pledge and bring it back with me!:).....no I will!

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If you get to the Boston/Cape Cod area give me a shout, I'll happily stand you a beer or 2 for this build!

Ian

Cheers for the offer Ian!.....unfortunately I will be on "the other side"....visiting family in San Diego!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

Surely worth getting off a couple of stops early Fozzy, there's a beer or two in it

:)

Ha ha Bill.....now there's an idea!!

Afternoon chaps.....its me again!:rolleyes:

So the last couple of days were spent enjoying my self on the lower half of bomb bay. As I said in my last post the bottom half was sprayed with Klear....a wash of oil paints applied and dry brushed to bring out the detail.

After looking at photos to make sure I had as much detail  as possible to display I found that some of the wiring was missing...and so more wire was cut and super glued into the bomb bay.

You may or may not be interested in how I add wiring!...pretty simple really and I am sure all you do it!....but for those of you that don't..............

I have a tin with loads of scrap wire that I ripped out of old TV /Radios etc......................

bc_zpsqjuil3io.jpg

The trick is I think is to select the correct gauge for the scale of what you are trying to achieve.Too many times I see models of Bi Planes for example with the rigging painstakingly attached to the model using wire ...in the wrong scale! ...which makes the aircraft look as if it has been rigged with thick rope!:o....no need!...just choose the correct gauge...this is why I never throw away any electronic gadgets...rip it open and grab all the wire!.........

.......any way I digress!..........this is how I do it..........

bv%20003_zpsbdpgdypa.jpg

I take off the insulation and use the strands of wire ...cut a piece off of the insulation which acts as a sleeve (and is pretty effective when painted)....super glue in position.....paint!.....sorted!;)

So here is a WARNING!........I have taken shed loads of photos of the progress I have made so far!....not going to apologies as I always do it!....................

uuu%20003_zps4vwqmxan.jpg

ty%20004_zpsu8yr7nm4.jpg

ty%20002_zpscvxonfn3.jpg

uuu%20010_zpssmxppbnh.jpg

uuu%20023_zps5lcytyrl.jpg

uuu%20026_zpssmeoccvv.jpg

ty%20006_zps6leq1qon.jpg

ty%20003_zps6y56heh5.jpg

ty%20007_zpsbpwd0knl.jpg

ty%20005_zpsm0g5yldd.jpg

ty%20008_zpsjch6rlpc.jpg

...and finally!......a shot of the in complete top half just placed on top!.........

ty%20013_zpsatljxk3y.jpg

Well done for keeping up chaps!:P

I have to now play around with the top half the same as I did with the bottom half!.......tops and bottoms!...I don't know!:rolleyes:

until the next post.................

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 13

Stunning stuff Fozzy, absolutely stunning. Those details, especially the little motor, stunn... sorry, already said that.

Great stuff and the more photos the better as far as I'm concerned :) 

• Like 1

Yeah Fozzy, wot they say

pictures and yet more pictures

Just what the doctor ordered

I have scads of wire but always need more, I'll never have as much as you though

S'marvellous work mate

• Like 1

Cheers chaps for all your thoughts and comments!;)

......Having a real concern at the moment:unsure:....I am thinking that the top half will have to have some of the structure taken away ....this will enable more detail to be shown. When I was building the front end of this B17G I had the same dilemma....to cut or not to cut?....I did in the end decide to re vamp the top half of the fuselage so one can see down into the cockpit and Nav station etc...(see on page 1 of these posts).....I think that by doing so it makes the model a wee bit different against other B17 models.....so it looks as though I will do the same with the bomb bay.....I just wish that I thought about it sooner as I will have to re scratch the entire area!:o.....

Still in the thinking stages.....will get back to you on that!

• Like 2

Tricky. I suppose it depends on whether you're going too carry on the build down the fuselage or stop here (please, no!)

How about leaving the two parts separate so that you can open the section to reveal the detail? I wouldn't be able to resist a 'ta dah'!

I can't think of another way to allow viewing of ALL the lovely detail.

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

Tricky. I suppose it depends on whether you're going too carry on the build down the fuselage or stop here (please, no!)

How about leaving the two parts separate so that you can open the section to reveal the detail? I wouldn't be able to resist a 'ta dah'!

I can't think of another way to allow viewing of ALL the lovely detail.

Thought of that but I think I want to keep it in the same frame as the front end!....also there would be an obvious ugly split line in the sides of the fuselage!:blush:.....as for continuing down the fuselage....................................................................................................................................................!

• Like 1