THE CONTINUATION OF MY SCRATCH BUILT B17G!

Fozzy

3 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Good to have you back Fozzy.

You are going to have fun working this problem out but I sure that you will find a way .

Simon.

Not too sure about that Simon!! :worry:

Ha! you look just how I feel :-)

Welcome back anyway. Looking forward to follow your work.

I know just what you mean about the wing fillets... I'm dreading when the time comes when I have to deal with the fillets on the Spitfire. How in the H*** are you going to make them from balsa wood?

Well, still working on the aileron control though...

Good to have you back though.

• Like 1

Great to see you back with us, Fozzy.

And good to finally see what you look like!

Wing roots. My choice would be to follow the prototype.

Build the wing attachment points onto the sides of the

fuselage sections. Then you can build the wing innermost

rib and it's strong points.

From there you'll need the attachment bolts, build as much

of the wing as you need and figure out a way to bend/mould

the fillet panels. I think I'd go for a forward wraparound fillet

attached to the wing, then removable sections for fitting the

bolts, then another fixed panel, then a removable rear section

for the rear bolt.

I hope that is easy to understand and might be of use to you.

All the best

Pete

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P.o Prune said:

How in the H*** are you going to make them from balsa wood?

Hi Finn...I am going to sand them down into shape...well I am going to try to sand them into shape!..we shall see!:wink:

8 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Great to see you back with us, Fozzy.

And good to finally see what you look like!

Wing roots. My choice would be to follow the prototype.

Build the wing attachment points onto the sides of the

fuselage sections. Then you can build the wing innermost

rib and it's strong points.

From there you'll need the attachment bolts, build as much

of the wing as you need and figure out a way to bend/mould

the fillet panels. I think I'd go for a forward wraparound fillet

attached to the wing, then removable sections for fitting the

bolts, then another fixed panel, then a removable rear section

for the rear bolt.

I hope that is easy to understand and might be of use to you.

All the best

Pete

Hey Pete....all good advice !.....I'm going to give an idea of mine a go first ...if that doesn't work then I will consider your idea.....it's all very weird as I am not scratch building  (at this moment) the entire wing root...just the part that is attached to the bomb bay fuselage side.....if you get what I mean!...I think I can sand a block of balsa wood for the fillet panels...the inner wing rib is a simple job.

I am just in the thought process at the moment ......loads of ideas running through my mind....I will have to try one of them as an experiment!!;)....cheers!

• Like 2

Welcome back!

Could they be fine in three sections - each attached to the appropriate fuselage section?

Following on, would it then be possible to run metal rod through the root sections to join the sections together but spaced out if that makes sense? Kind of like an exploded view?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

Welcome back!

Could they be fine in three sections - each attached to the appropriate fuselage section?

Following on, would it then be possible to run metal rod through the root sections to join the sections together but spaced out if that makes sense? Kind of like an exploded view?

Hi Brian....Yes the wing roots will be ok in 3 sections...and I like the idea of the metal rod!:wink:...still in the thought process of how the whole thing will be displayed...I haven't really many options as all sections will have to be elevated because of bomb doors/ front crew access door/the ball turret all underneath the fuselage!..... but something will turn up no doubt!:worry:

My first thought would be to display it inside a big cubic box (but on second thoughts it would need to be the size of the shed I wish I had...)

on a frame big enough to allow a view of the undersides maybe, maybe a geodesic kind of thingy for strength

it'll need to be strong

hence

back to the modeller's age old standby

stand it/them on a big mirror   :(

ps

I'd use the balsa block, when carved to shape, just to pull mould the wing fillets and mount the wings off replica imitation structural mounting brackets

But you have seen how I always complicate the easy stuff

Watch me when it gets difficult (Nearly said hard, thank god Ced's not looking)

;)

• Like 2

Cheers Bill for your input!

The old mirror trick I have never really liked TBH...although may have to go down that path at a later stage!....the "shed " is out of the equation!:wink:...and the geodesic globey thing is just ...well...just...weird!:think:

Don't think I don't appreciate the ideas though!....keep them coming.....

You know its my own fault for being hoodwinked into doing the whole blinking fuselage!...never really thought about how to display the darn thing!!

Oh well...on wards and upwards!.....I have done the wing roots/fillets....I think its ok....I used Balsa wood and the old yogurt pot plastic!....posting coming soon.:)

• Like 1

:)

You probably realise I don't like that mirror thing either

Or weird geodesics neither

I wouldn't mind a decent shed if my garden was big enough,

But...   😮

• Like 1

Might have made a decision!!:think:....might just join the front completed section to the bomb bay section!....permanently!......maybe!...mmmm!

• Like 1

Having just found this WiP I'm not sure I have the skills to describe this mamouth undertaking let alone think about doing something similar!?! I am truly lost for words other than to say thanks for sharing your work with us mere mortals

• Like 1

Hi chaps

Well here we go then...hopefully the wing roots/fillets are now sorted!...well at least the Port side.

I had to really think about it as the wing root starts from bellow the upper turret across the fuselage side of the bomb bay and tails off at the radio bay. Considering I have already completed the front end of this project it was difficult to get my head round it!:worry:....so the only way I could see was to do it in 3 sections. 

Here is how I went about it.........I had made a balsa wood inner wing rib which was shown on the last post.....I first cut it into the 3 sections.......

gf%20001_zpsmedxdkza.jpg

I then glued the centre section of the cut onto the side of the bomb bay fuselage.....

gf%20006_zpsvlks9mww.jpg

Next up was to make 3 small balsa cuts...sand them into the shape that the fillets will be able to sit on......

gf%20002_zpssjzgapix.jpg

Now it was time to cut to shape the fillets out of good old yogurt pot plastic...cheap as chips!!!...this was done in two separate parts.........

jt_zps9p1lvlwg.jpg

....and finally glue them in position.........

oo%20001_zpsnlirlzy0.jpg

oo%20003_zps9pjiqkaw.jpg

I think that when I finally skin the bomb bay fuselage it will look the part!

So then......just so you can see what I am trying to achieve and the problems it has caused me here are a few ...hopefully obvious ....photos of the 2 sections together......taking these photos was a huge problem in it self...I had to balance the front section on top of the bomb bay....one puff of wind and it would have been curtains!!:blush:

fs%20004-crop_zps3huqetqe.jpg

fs%20003_zpsrlcpqpme.jpg

fs%20001_zpsilwyqnxn.jpg

I think you might get where I am going with this!

Being symmetrical of course means that I have to this all over again for the Starboard side!.....but of course I shouldn't have any problems as I have already had a trial run!

So until I have completed that I'll say ciao ciao for now!

Fozzy

• Like 10

Where there is a will there is a way Fozzy, and yet again you have cracked it mate.

Really glad that the front end did not topple, otherwise we would of heard the cursing from here in Blighty.

Simon.

• Like 1

That looks like as good a solution as you're likely to get! I see why you may now want to join the two sections, although joining them with acrylic rod and leaving a gap to show the detail may look ok....

Ian

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That looks like as good a solution as you're likely to get! I see why you may now want to join the two sections, although joining them with acrylic rod and leaving a gap to show the detail may look ok....

Ian

Yes Ian....the most important thing for me is to be able to show all the detail ....so I'm still thinking about which way to go!

• Like 1

All looking very Fortean Fozzy

er

do I mean fortean?

Hmm, on thinking about it, yeah I think I do

Lovely filleting mate

(I'd have to BUY Yogurt to use the pots, not cheap then in is it?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

All looking very Fortean Fozzy

er

do I mean fortean?

Hmm, on thinking about it, yeah I think I do

Lovely filleting mate

(I'd have to BUY Yogurt to use the pots, not cheap then in is it?)

Cheers Bill

I live in Bulgaria mate...so cheap for me!....and cheaper than buying plastic card for you I would hazard a guess?;)

• Like 1

I'd have to go dunnydiving to get any though

The loveable EU has wrote out wrules about that stuff which means I'd go to gaol if I did

Plasticard must be a better deal than "six months without the option"

by the way I do like the idea of the Fort making its way OUT of the wall it is displayed on

Works for me

L shaped base with USAAF Fort nose leaving the rear wall 

Enough height for the investigating public to investigate the underneath sections

Maybe a write up of Fortress Ops over Central Europe in daylight bombing attacks over Axis held Europe on the base

A short write up, the base isn't going to be THAT big

Ah yes

The inventive beer process at work  :)

No way am I model capable this late evening so this is my substitute modelling...

• Like 3