THE CONTINUATION OF MY SCRATCH BUILT B17G!

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Time for an up date!

Since the last post I have been building all the basic detail on the bottom half of the bomb bay.....this was done by using scrap plastic and my favorite yogurt pots!;)... What I am trying to do is to get the whole bay ready for the basic interior colour spray before adding more detail.

This means that the top half has to be detailed next before the spraying starts!

Here is where I am at at the moment...........

qt%20001_zpsawywt2km.jpg

overall shot

re%20003_zps9nkqc9zl.jpg

looking across the catwalk towards the front bulkhead.

re%20004_zpsvixy4ejb.jpg

looking towards the rear bulkhead

re%20007_zpsvn6masuc.jpg

re%20006_zpsfur5fvnm.jpg

re%20008_zpsceejwkyx.jpg

looking up through the bomb bay doors aperture

re%20009_zpsbplanjjn.jpg

re%20012_zpsr8tde3cb.jpg

top half placed on....and is screaming out to have some detail!!

re%20011_zpsnzstgzxe.jpg

qt%20006_zpsmsjlolxr.jpg

So next up is to get the top half's basic detailing done before spraying the aluminum coat and then I can get down to the constructing of the bomb racks /wiring /electric motors /piping etc etc

One other thing I did do was to place another skin of yogurt pots over the whole construction to smooth things out a bit before the final Alu tape is added...Perdu....will be pleased about this!;)

Till the next time....cheers:)

Fozzy

• Like 10

Perdu is happy whatever he sees in this wonderful tale of potty yogurtiness

The lower half is already a thing of beauty Fozzy, waiting happily for the upside internals

Great modelling sir

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Its beginning to look the part, looking forward to seeing the top half. 

The beauty of such a build is that it gives you a good impression of what was really in there, air bottles, wiring , fitted equipment, all items you dont normally get to see in photographs.

I'm sure it will become a reference for smaller scale versions of this aircraft.

Well done Fozzy

Ian

• Like 1

The usual very high quality that we've come to expect. Where do you get enough references to be able to add detail such as the electrical and hydraulic lines, reinforcement plates etc?

Ian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The usual very high quality that we've come to expect. Where do you get enough references to be able to add detail such as the electrical and hydraulic lines, reinforcement plates etc?

Ian

Hi Ian....all my reference material comes from the internet....especially Google images....There loads of info on the B17 ...but take the Supermarine Spitfire and you will struggle for internal detail as I did when I built my Mk1....just wouldn't be able to do this with out the internet....and of course Pete ...the B17G I have tucked away in my barn!;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all fellow modellers!

Here is my next update.........................

My last post saw me attempting to put some of the detail on the bottom half of the bomb bay and this post will show my attempts of starting the detail on the top half. I have to say that it took an awfully long time to cut each rib out of yogurt pot  plastic:o...and even longer to glue them in position!:(

As you can see from the photos I have started to place some of the control cables/ electrical wiring/pipes etc....looking at photos of the real bomb bay I can see that there is still more wiring to do!

Here is what it looks like so far.....................

qt%20003_zpsaul8yarm.jpg

qt%20006_zpsksviqm6g.jpg

qt%20011_zpsjuqzf7s4.jpg

qt%20012_zpstgbtjd2o.jpg

qt%20010_zps13pyxxo3.jpg

....and just to get more of the feel for the project....if not a wee bit of colour!!!.......here is a shot of looking forward through the door way into the cockpit...............

qt%20013_zps8ynazbcw.jpg

So next up will be a tad more detail followed by the base coat of aluminum.

Till then...thanks for looking in!:)

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 15

5 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful, Fozzy!

Looks as though you've posted the same pic twice though...

Ian

Yes I spotted that as well Ian!...I just hate photobucket!....all edited now!;)

You are going to have to build the whole fuselage, you cant stop at the first two sections ! You are just getting warmed up.

Talking of the Memphis Belle, they had such sections in the hangar for some of the internal shots in the film . . . think I have a photo of it (I was in the film and took lots of  photos)

Anyhow, its coming along mighty fine boy, keep at it . . .

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

You are going to have to build the whole fuselage, you cant stop at the first two sections ! You are just getting warmed up.

Yes I realize that its gonna have to be the whole fuselage Ian.....this was never the plan in the beginning....I must be mad!...and its going to take years!:o.........one section per year I reckon with other models in between!;)

• Like 3