THE CONTINUATION OF MY SCRATCH BUILT B17G!

Fozzy

Hi to every one :)

Well I'm back to try and continue with scratch building my B17G after a long long break.

Many of you who followed the "front end" of the build encouraged me to continue with building the whole thing.....Brian!:rolleyes:.....I really didn't want to do it as it seemed almost an impossible task!......I mean I am building this in 1:20 scale!.....it took me many many months to complete the fuselage from the nose to the bomb bay and the original plan was to leave it at that!.......after a long break from the build I am starting to think that maybe I should continue.

So this is the plan......................the next section to scratch will be the bomb bay. .......then the Radio room...then the aft section right down to the tail........of course for now I will build the bomb bay.

My idea is to build it the same way as the front section was built....leaving no detail to the imagination!....this will entail a lot of sleepless nights and headaches...as the front section did!

So I think first of all I would like to show you a 10 photo reminder of what I have scratched so far of this B17G...in 1:20 scale.....

x%20006_zpswmiakvzp.jpg

x%20017_zpsfs6vtjan.jpg

x%20002_zpslyxrciv7.jpg

x%20004_zpsolknynmo.jpg

x%20022_zpsascmit8u.jpg

x%20024_zpsrvtg82kl.jpg

So that's what has been done so far.......from the nose to the bomb bay

more to come.....................;)

• Like 17

These next photos will show you the sort of detail I put in the front end and this hopefully will continue in the bomb bay!.................

f%20033_zpsutpsuhm4.jpg

nbv_zpszcakhtyg.jpg

xd%20047_zpscgn0a9b1.jpg

oo%20036_zpsyxtn41gs.jpg

OK......so that is the plan!

I will be continuing this build exactly the way I did the first part and that means using all sorts of material from Balsa wood to wire ,paper,cardboard scraps of plastic etc etc.!

This is going to take me months to build and I do hope that some of you come along for the ride ..as you did the last time!

I have to say that I was dreading posting this post as I knew that once I had ...I was kind of commit ed to doing it!:unsure:

...because with scratch building you never know what problems will arise!

So I will be back with the first proper post of the bomb bay soon

Cheers for now

Fozzy

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, rob85 said:

An outstanding plan fozzy! Looking forward to how you start this.... Or is it restart??!

rob

Yes Rob...I'm also looking forward to seeing how I'm going to start this!!:unsure:

5 minutes ago, rob85 said:

An outstanding plan fozzy! Looking forward to how you start this.... Or is it restart??!

rob

Yes Rob...I'm also looking forward to seeing how I'm going to start this!!:unsure:

I shall be getting all my bits and bobs together and starting soon!...cheers everyone!:)

Fozzy

I shall be getting all my bits and bobs together and starting soon!...cheers everyone!:)

Fozzy

• Like 2

Yeah yeah yeah come on and stop faffin' about

Gerronwivit

Some of us have had to do modelling whilst we wait for this epic piece of lunacy

And some of us isn't cut out for it any more  :(

in other words, and not to mince any, I am so happy that 'phase two' is about to be underway I'm going outside to kick up my scrinchy knees in glee

Welcome home

Welcome home

Bliss begins...

• Like 1

Listen guys........it's good to be back!...so great to see familiar faces/avitars!;).....I just hope I don't drive you all mad with this.....it's going to be a bumpy ride for sure!

I have been spending time collecting photos/drawings and looking at my odds and sods lying around in preparation for the off so to speak....should be starting soon!....give me a few days and I'll be back!

Cheers

Fozzy :)

BTW Stephan.....yes the yellow tanks are a few of the many oxygen tanks on board the B17

Edited by Fozzy
more info
  • Like 1

Cheers lads.....and yes Brian...it paid off!...if anything goes wrong with the build I'll blame you entirely!!;)

.....but of course you were right....It will take some time but I guess I will be glad that I did it...well I'll be glad when the whole things finished I should say!

The great thing about the B17 is that there is plenty of info out there to be had....which makes the whole project easier to do...for example....great detailed drawings to be found.......

B17_Av_4406_sk_bomb-bay_p197_W_zpsfkvnzu

3196054120_58e509580e_z_zpsxuoptnem.jpg

Looking ahead to....lets say phase 3...when I construct the ball turret in the rear section!...now that's going to be a challenge!:o....but never the less looking forward to attempting it!...but I am getting ahead of myself me thinks!

back soon!

Fozzy

• Like 5

I do wish you'd stop showing these tempting sketches Fozzy

Almost tempting me to play your game in little scale  :o

But that would be a less well done item in a far less entertaining event..

So OK Fozzy, carry on with the lovely pictures, I'm cured and no longer tempted

Phew!!!

I notice that the two drawings show some variance between them with regards the bracing struts along the centre truss, is it going to be a matter of choosing which one you like and then sticking with it?

That is a great shot of the bomb rail though

I've ordered extra popcorn and increased the beer delivery order  :)

• Like 1

Ah splendid!  Fozzy, your scratchbuilding is an inspiration to the rest of us who dabble in the shallow end, and all at the same time, utterly awe inspiring.  A B-17 isn't THAT big... (taken one chunk at a time.)

Great stuff, can't wait.

Ah splendid!  Fozzy, your scratchbuilding is an inspiration to the rest of us who dabble in the shallow end, and all at the same time, utterly awe inspiring.  A B-17 isn't THAT big... (taken one chunk at a time.)

Great stuff, can't wait.