Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

I expect Wopsie has been feeling left out a bit since Colin reminded me I'd signed up for the Wessex STGB but whilst doing daft things to a rescued Matchbox HU5 kit I have been keeping my hand in with her too

I showed the legging jig earlier with my calculated positions for the upper and lower leg locations

Well it kinda worked and it didn't    Quite

But with perseverance I got to here

P1110780.jpg

The lumps at the bottom arm extremities show where the inner joints of the uprights will meet the lower wishbones

These need fine trimming but are basically ready to rumble later this week

P1110779.jpg

The pointy bit on each upper set mark the place the uprights will join the arms

Once the shockers are in place I can get going with building a Westland Wasp

That'll be nice won't it kids   ;)

I'm really going to enjoy the folded rotor blades and the red blade support frames

really...

• Like 13

Great work Bill - those look very neat (and small!)

11 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm really going to enjoy the folded rotor blades and the red blade support frames

Do I sense a touch of irony there? If so, I've got a couple of shirts that could do with a run over... :D 

• Like 2

time for another little fettle

legs akimbo

P1110788.jpg

one leg in the bed

P1110789.jpg

further experiments in standing on your own legs

P1110791.jpg

Jigged to check alignment, seems ok

P1110793.jpg

Legs to get embellishments and wheel holes to be opened up at the top tomorrow

I think we're getting somewhere now

Tonight I'm working out how to affix the upper link for the shockers, kinda easy I hope

night all

• Like 15

No not only you Ian, I find I don't think it through before sleeping but as I wake up an answer may present itself

Hopefully my days of actually worrying about modelling have all been used up

Now its just for giggles so an answer in the morning with a wake up cup of instant can sustain me all day

(Modelling time is post p.m in our household)

• Like 1

Lovely stuff, Bill; easy to forget how tiny this all is.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

exquisite work there Bill.   Delicate yet purposeful

Not often one hears the Wasp described as "delicate", but I take your point!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That should occupy a few zs tonight...or is it just me who thinks things through in bed?

Ian

Good grief no, I do all my best thinking there!

See, I said  thought you had nailed the undercarriage!

Martian

• Like 1

I left the undercart to fester for a bit, working out how to show the waisted base of the legs without overdoing them

Meantime I'm finishing off the tail pylon, added the nav lamp bodies/bases and the chain drive unit for tailrotor control

this ought to be ready for a light coat of primer in a day or so

P1110800.jpg

P1110798.jpg

as the rabbit used to say

"That's all folks!"

• Like 12

Nothing much to report

I have been fettling legs whilst making the Wessex for the STGB

But whilst making and painting Wessex sonar chaps's seats I also managed to 'shhepskin' the Wasp seats with teabag skins

am having some difficulties with my printer settings, I must stop it stretching all my images

I have redrawn the Airfix red and white danger markings in red and black but the settings have stretched the images

It could be the 'pooter though because it has occasionally altered (by stretching) some of my images from the Wessex bank

tssk tssk, the things sent to try us

anyway, the newly padded seats, still a trifle dark because the glue hasn't dried out yet

P1110806.jpg

The guide frame at the top of the observer's seat HAS been repaired now

B

• Like 10

Thought I'd stumbled into Bletchley Park a few pages back Bill..

Smashing work that has taught me the utility of a well thought-out jig for some jobs. Now. If you can just laser-scan and 3D-print your finished version as a series of parts, there can be a 1/72 kit on the market for next Christmas.

Put me down for three!

Lovely progress to watch.

Tony

• Like 2

Cheers guys, 'preciated

As Tomo needs stimuli I pressed on with leggy fettling (four legs hence stimuli instead of stimulus)

I have misappropriated this set of excellent New Zealand Wasp photos in order to get some live action Vesperie

This is the 'sit' of the undercarriage I'm attempting to capture in Evergreen Plastic  ;)

P1110825.jpg

And this is where I am at the moment, does the team think the model captures the elusive 'sit'

P1110824.jpg

There is much to do to the uprights yet but the legs and wheel angles and shapes need getting right before plastic gets trimmed

P1110820.jpg

poised on the heli-deck of HMS Brown Toolkit, I kinda have doubts

P1110819.jpg

still lots to do as you see

A final (for now) shot in front of the image in fig 1

P1110823.jpg

Do you fancy a little bit of Wasp background before I get the IP, controls and seats in

The thin strakes along the rear of the cabin under the engine deck show a set of five stiffeners

These seem to be carried into the structure from Scout as although Airfix modelled four strakes on the Scout it was only non-missile equipped Scouts that got four all Scouts and Wasps that can be missile equipped get the extra stiffening of a five strake body to allow for the fatigue of carrying the missile racks

The basic carrier structure of both seems identical except the AS12 Missile is carried one on each side so the wider Scout rig isn't used, leaving off the extra missile beam

I have extra stiffening to add to where the over cabin floatation rig is mounted, this will be on both sides on the tapered rear fuselage just behind the fuelling cap on the starboard engine deck

The long legs on the castoring wheel mounts will be trimmed later if I remember

I hopes I does  :(

I bought some of the Ultra Violent Setting Glue to try out

Paid about six quid for it from one of those "Gimmee Gimmee" catalogues we get  through the door and in the Daily Papers

I have been utilising it on some of the leg joints and I am very pleased

So much I intend never to be without it, its far more reliable than Stuporgoo and less prone to falling off a piece of plastic if the wind gets up

I have found more, much, much more online at less expensive prices, 99p to £1.50, that is my kind of spending dosh

Ordering the next lot just after Chrimble

More work going on now but its boring watching glue  setting on the yaw pedal stirrups, so I'm not showing it  :)

But it is really 'cabin' time now

yeehaw

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8