Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Absolutely smashing work on this Bill, glad to see the deceptive wasp is mightier than she looks. Things may have looked rudimentary in the past but they were tough and made to last! I'd like to see a merlin suffer the same fate and survive! :analintruder:

Looking forward to seeing a bit of paint being splashed around.

Bob 

• Like 2

Cheers chaps, I only have a few little greebs to put on , the little brackets under the rear suspender winglets and the Chirper and pivot

Most of the thicker pipes that normally got painted during service are in now so I now need to make the little pair of applique windows for the nose

Then I'm going to put on a VERY thin coat of Compucolor2 RAF BG

Then another, it is so thin it will coat beautifully

I do have RAF BG in Sovereign paint but at this stage I'll stick with the Compucolor because I know it better

This is not a model I'd be happy dunking in Dettol if it became the shape of a pear

Paint on tomorrow possibly. 😀

I'll be adding the flotation gear separately

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

I have a question for the most erudite members of this esteemed board

I mentioned above that I intend adding the little Chirper under the nose, can anyone advise if Wasp's can was the same size as the canister on the Sea King or Wessex?

Airfixs Sea King has a chirper that works out nearly twice the size of my estimated greebly, something has to be wrong and thats usually me

THERE WILL NOW BE A SHORT INTERMISSION....

music plays... 

Are we talking the "Can 'O' beans" arrangement that hangs underneath? If so I believe it is the same size, the only difference is that it has a couple of bracing rods to keep it from being bent. If its not I don't think in this scale it will matter too much.

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1

Won't matter!

Oh Bob everything matters but yes sir thank you, that's the kiddie

It looks like I'll need to make three the same size, there's Wopsie and the HAS3 Wessex and it seems the 'Airfix Old Sea King' needs one the right size too

I know nothing of greebbies, cans of beans, etcetera etcetera, all I know is that I have not removed my CM and every one I've dropped,, and i've dropped a

high percentage, has only served to fatten the begger!

This one must have butter on the castors.

Always liked the warspie ever since watching Warship  back in the day, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Regards

Strickers

• Like 1

buttered  castors

:)

sounds proper risky to me Strickers ;)

Anyway

Todays (oops look at the time) Yesterdays conundrum

"can you see what it is yet?"

P1120045.jpg

Yes it is to make these

P1120050.jpg

The single flotation shell will be used to make these

Now I have the pieces I will make only one more set of emergency use only further halves

They trim down nicely

P1120061.jpg

after a session on the wet'n'dry used dry

Which it seems has set Mrs P off on a tirade

"why don't you make up your kits instead of models no kit maker wants to make?"

Possibly no answer to that is there?

:(

Oh well, since there is no glib response ripping off my tongue I'll resort to the old...

just because

I made a new casting of the modifed nose from which I intend press moulding the new nose windows

Ought to be fine I reckon

We'll see...

P1120065.jpg

Well that is it for now

More when I exit the dog house

IF

• Like 11

I would refer the lovely lady to the last episode of the first series of Destectorists and the tale of the cacti.

Might not get out out of said domicile but at least should raise a smile.

Nice castorating

As always

Regards 

Strickers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Which it seems has set Mrs P off on a tirade

"why don't you make up your kits instead of models no kit maker wants to make?"

Possibly no answer to that is there?

:(

Oh well, since there is no glib response ripping off my tongue I'll resort to the old...

just because

The glib phrase you were looking for was "Because no kit maker makes the kits I want to make!".

Try it out if you dare!

Martian

• Like 2

22 hours ago, perdu said:

I have a question for the most erudite members of this esteemed board

I mentioned above that I intend adding the little Chirper under the nose, can anyone advise if Wasp's can was the same size as the canister on the Sea King or Wessex?

Airfixs Sea King has a chirper that works out nearly twice the size of my estimated greebly, something has to be wrong and thats usually me

Assuming you mean the I-band transponder, then it is certainly not a small and delicate item:

32950682662_72115f82e5_b.jpg

32950683342_432d7b6123_b.jpg

Without having actually measured it, I'd say it's definitely the same size as the Wessex 3 / Sea King (and indeed Lynx) jobber.  It's the same piece of kit, after all.

I fully expect your rendition to be able to fold, just like the real thing...

Nice flot bags!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Thank you for those Crisp, they and the info you imparted will allow me to get close I think

I checked the transponders Airfix supply with their new Sea King (Moulded on the fuselage half, what's going to happen there then? :(  ) and their naval Lynx so I am going with 0.073" diameter on the Wasp

I have this little Lynx which someone else started and ran out of love for, seats were roughly glued to the cockpit/cabin floor unit then removed it seems in a hurry

Rotor blades partly assembled then abandoned

generally begging for a bit of love so my further nauticality has had a fresh new course set

I will be S1ing a Buccaneer next but before my Phantom I am heading towards the Lynx, mentally

That should take a while huh

(And there are later shapes for Lynxes arent there, mmm......And a Wessex HAS3 to finish)

• Like 1

Sadly I do but there's so much to do instead.   :)

I want Wopsie safely out of the way and the S1 underway whilst I tidy up the Wessex

Time flies for us old b*ggers. ;)

Edited by perdu

Canopy tinting, crash landing, casting...I miss a few posts and it's mayhem in the Wasp's Nest! Actually that might make a good name for a pub? You can see the Latin motto over the bar by the yard of ale : 'perdu ad astra'...

Classy patient work there landlord. :thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 4

The bar's open!

Yes Hewy plasticene, I muck it up a bit/lot with dirty hands, let old paint get on it all so it doesn't get too attached to the former buck

Then roll it flat enough to use for casting with and impress the buck in far enough to get full definition

Seems ok for small items that might get lost inside a dollop of casting latex

Anyway

All thoughts of comfort zones have now left the building...

I needed 0.015" rodding to make the frames that attach the floats to the jury rig frame over the cabin roof

It seems you CAN get 0.015" plastic rod from Plastruct

It seems also that I cannot get it from my local model shop and I dislike getting 'staples' from the 'bay because if I don't buy locally this year I may not even have the local guy next year

However when we (Birmingham IPMS) had our show last July I did buy a sliding tubes set in nickel silver from a man selling Albion alloys gear

The very thinnest tube in the pack measures in at yes, fifteen thou so I have been using stuff I'm not very good with to get to

here

P1120196.jpg

This is superglued with the eighty pence tube from my local shop (Lidl didnt have any in...) into fifteen thou drilled holes on the jury frame

P1120198.jpg

P1120203.jpg

I'm a bit chuffed with this so far

P1120205.jpg

A gratuitous one showing some of the rods wires and gubbinses that will mostly vanish under RAF BG soon  (Oh god let it be soon please)

The rear strut picks up off the upper edge of the rotor pylon so I drilled the upper location holes to give me a chance at seeing if its worth pursuing this beast any further

I think so

P1120206.jpg

The rear struts here will later be set to fit on the top of the float units, 'as per' but for now I am glad they let me get sight of the floats in situ - ish

Which seem to sit nicely between the forks of the front frames

P1120207.jpg

P1120208.jpg

look, it sits level, hip hip...

Looks fair from aft too, I reckon

P1120209.jpg

Next production task will be fitting out the floats with assembly brackets,switchery and inflator canisters

etcetera  -ish

And assembling the rear frames, there's about half a dozen more to get made up for the rear frames

The main legs are twenty thou plastic rod, you can see the upper float framing needed to be very obviously thinner

The difference shows up quite clearly in photographs so nickel it had to be

night all

b

• Like 14

Bill, one word - stupendous...!!

And for good measure, one or two more - amazing, astounding, astonishing, extraordinary, remarkable, wonderful, phenomenal, staggering, breathtaking...!!

This is some of the finest modelling in the one true scale I think I've yet seen! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1