Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Top tail action Bill. I'm sure I had an old scan of a Scale Aircraft Modeller article on converting the Scout to Wasp. Let me know if you'd like me to dig it out...

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony but I have that already

It doesn't do much for the tail or the underbelly but it is very useful as a general aid

What it has is a great start though, funny enough before I came into BM it would have been enough. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Top tail action Bill. I'm sure I had an old scan of a Scale Aircraft Modeller article on converting the Scout to Wasp. Let me know if you'd like me to dig it out...

Tony

That sounds like the one I have :).

• Like 2

in a very grateful word YES

I'm fairly close to 'there' with the tail form now but the one of the underneath is brilliant

All of these are going into my Wasp file if its OK with you

A particularly nice one of the strengtheners on the rear sponson where the undercart pivots, thanks

And a very nice one of the cover over the tail drive gearing which is next on my agenda

thank you

• Like 1

My respect for Wasp-drivers was high even at the time (829 NAS still had a handful of Wasp flights when I joined it Lynx-ing).  Having looked again at the close-up reality, my respect has only grown.  A friend of mine once took his Wopse across to a USN mega-carrier to drop his CO for a briefing; "nice aircraft, Sir; did you build it yourself?"  You have to say the US matelot had a point!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

My respect for Wasp-drivers was high even at the time (829 NAS still had a handful of Wasp flights when I joined it Lynx-ing).  

My youngest son (he was 8 at the time) got to sit in a Wasp at Yeovilton a few years back and compared it to being in a small car. I agree with you Crisp, it looked awfully small and exposed to the elements considering these things flew out over the ocean. I guess the crews were very intimate with the weather, to put it mildly...

Tony

• Like 2

Short update whilst I'm still gathering w ool ork information to do underneath

Started the undercart structures which go on whichever 'fit' will be needed and begun making the tail more tail-ey

P1110515.jpg

the drive shaft cover was moulded from a piece of ten thou polycard and the round tail section is being 'encouraged' to form

P1110517.jpg

That's about it, I'll see if I get any more done tonight

Ciao

• Like 8

I see what Martian is up to

Model gets finished

Freightdog announce 'available'

Wish I could Martian but it's a tall order for me at my usual sub-glacial build pace

We'll have to see, it might be a part finished on the Birmingham branch table...

;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I see what Martian is up to

Model gets finished

Freightdog announce 'available'

Bugger! Rumbled!

Martian

• Like 4

OK, Bill - try these - taken at Old Sarum this afternoon.  I took 50 shots in total, so let me know if you want any more - these are just the underside views.

1.  Four shots of the underside viewed from port:

11.%20Underside%20from%20port%20-%20forw

12.%20Underside%20from%20port%20-%20cent

13.%20Underside%20from%20port%20-%20aft_

14.%20Underside%20from%20port%20-%20clos

2.  Three shots from ahead:

21.%20Underside%20from%20forward_zpsoiml

23.%20Underside%20from%20forward%20-%20g

22.%20Underside%20from%20forward%20-%20c

3. Three shots from starboard:

48.%20Underside%20from%20starboard%20-%2

49.%20Underside%20from%20starboard%20-%2

47.%20Underside%20from%20starboard%20-%2

Good luck with that lot in 1/72...

Hope that helps!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8

Now that's the way to take pictures under aircraft

Thanks Crisp, I may just get some of that in even in little scale

These are the danglies, quite suitable phrase considering the dangliewheels on the wall

You da man, man

• Like 2

I'm glad Crisp took those pictures, I would have been able to get down to take them but would probably still be trying to get up again.

Martian

• Like 3

Why are helicopters (naval in particular) so complicated underneath!

BTW, the what appears to be two tubes (fuel dumps? Urinal release? twin firework breeches for starter?) in the first shot was actually a step, but the cross tube has gone.

Edited by 71chally

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Why are helicopters (naval in particular) so complicated underneath!

BTW, the what appears to be two tubes (fuel dumps? Urinal release? twin firework breeches for starter?) in the first shot was actually a step, but the cross tube has gone.

Because they have to be able to do a lot of different things - underslung loads, several different weapons (and the assorted racks and launchers thereof).  The Wasp (as I was forcibly reminded today) is a really small aircraft, but at various stages it had strapped beneath it Mk.11 DCs, Mk.44 torpedoes, the 600lb "Special Weapon", AS12s...   Then factor in assorted aerials, things that change during the life of the design so get bolted on (the I-band transponder on the Wasp looks like someone added it for a bet!)....

They are work-horses, and parasite drag is really not a big deal in a Wasp!

Having said that, I'd be hard pushed to tell you what half of those lumps were for...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Having said that, I'd be hard pushed to tell you what half of those lumps were for...

To scare the hell out out of Soviet sub-drivers by hinting at a mysterious super-weapon? 

Superb photos BTW.

They  are superb Crisp, now I am about to get cheeky

Did you capture the very frontal area, with the air 'conditioning' intake and the lamp box unit?

They would be nigh on perfect if you did in such brilliant clarity

It isnt a problem if they arent in the set, just icing for the cake is all

:thumbsup:

Well it's been a busy few days but not in a modelling sense

Spent the weekend in That London with the guvner so no modelling except looking over everyone's shoulders on my trusty tablet in t'hotel

On our return I settled down to make the engine details a little better, yes size creep had crept into the transmission box a little

Luckily not 'massively' so trimmimg the shaft brake a little has it looking a tad better, I havent any pictures yet but I will soon

Now I'm in awe at the pictures Crisp got of the underside and have spent a wee bit time working out some of the gubbinsery thereto

If anyone has a clue about the under-Waspery bits I would appreciate a bit of your insight ta

One of the pictures has been especially useful as I get the underside down on my map/plan

Would anyone be able to confirm or confound my working out please

I reckon parts A B C and D are the attachment points for the weapon racks/rails and parts E and F would be attachment points for the SACRU when fitted

Is anyone able to confirm as I'd possibly be searching out a pair of torpedoes later

Or scratch a new SACRU to hang instead

I see some of the stiffening that has kept Simmerit on the boil is plastered all round the potential strong points, I may use layers of Tamiya tape to  replicate that, part G

there's to be a domed plate with a hole in it too as at H but there is  no way I intend trying to show the piano hinge that runs along what would be the sill at I if this was my old MG Midget, that stays as a line of rivets just as Airfix intended

There is a big oval hole inboard of the point marked A, does anyone know if it runs through to the deck

new142.jpg

The pictures have been very helpful Crisp ta mate

So you build a hellychopter that goes to sea,

and put electrical connections where they are

bound to get the wettest. Hmmm.

Is the Wasp why they invented WD40?

Domed plate H, Fuel tank access. The two grey

knobbly bits sticking out of it look like fuel sampling points.

The oval hole may be for manual SACRU release? (Last chance!)

• Like 2

I thought Vaseline was why the Navy were never afraid

of connections

Thanks for that tank info, thought it might be summat like that, seems a bit short of fastened fasteners on this one, down there

Good point about SACRU release, I must look closer at floor pictures inside

nb  Walter Wessex has lots of low mounted electrics too, weird...

Anyone got a decent picture of the stores delivery mountings, bomb carrier thingys?

I'm trying to glean them off a very useful NZ Naval set on PB but usual thing  :(

Very dark 'down under' and everything very hard to make out but at least since Crisp got down and dirty for us we're a lot further down that road with these photos