Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

P1110498.jpg

I love that photo Bill - it really shows off the quality of your work and just how small this wobbly is.

I am mega impressed with the stiffeners - particularly at this scale - and great scratch building skills

keep it coming !

• Like 1

Chris I know I can be very prone to hyperbole but those have to be some of the finest pictures of the transmission area on the Nimbus I ever saw thank you

I have added 'likes' to them but there really ought to be a 'love' clicker, they''re great and I have saved them all

I've never seen a shot into the jetpipe that shows the fan deep inside before, thanks mate

• Like 1

You're very welcome to them mate, if it helps you produce more plastic magic like you do, although I'm a bit disappointed, I went to the trouble of finding out the Humbrol number for the bird crap.....

I've got a few more of the other side for you, I'm just waiting for them to upload.

• Like 1

Great work on the equipment bay Bill - last time we saw it it was just bits of plastic poking out. Impressive.

And tiny. Still tiny...

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't know why I wrote pavla, THEY are superb moulders of model bits

I'm never going to be in their class   :(

I suggest you put this search into ebay...  rtv silicone moulding rubber  There'll be many offerings

I tend to spend about £12 on mine plus a bit for posting 

mine usually takes about twelve or more hours to cure

My last set came from Pottery Supplies on the bay

hope this helps

Go on try it, its fun

Cheers Bill. I'm off on the hunt for said items later. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Beautiful work and some great pictures from Chris. That's one of the best parts of this forum - everyone's willingness to go out of their way to help others! Long may it continue.

Ian

• Like 2

Well I think they're getting there Martian

Anyway I have begun the task of building the tail rotor upstand, well whatever it's called it aint my idea of a FIN

Marked out some sheets of 80thou polycard and bunged them together to make the little spikey shape (Alan Hall suggested using a little dollop of balsa and adding dope and talc mix to degrain it, I wish I had.)

P1110503.jpg

I'm getting the idea with these little model clamps, even better (sometimes) than my old clothes pegs

P1110505.jpg

P1110506.jpg

as you can see I have been down in the lab mixin' up some med'cine

Wheels courtesy of Airfix's CH46 (UH ?) Sea Knight and castings made to suit

P1110507.jpg

Basic round spikey shape filed down with the trusty six inch half round and the rotor drive mocked up to suit

Placed alongside the Bob Hunt  plans from possibly Aviation News gleaned from the interweb

P1110509.jpg

Needs a little more taper-ation I think

Now slimmed down a tad more I'm ready to call it a tail

P1110513.jpg

So I have begun to fill the drive cover flat bits in

Tidy tomorrow when it's fully dry, this is Vallejo's Plastic Putty filler on test

It has been rather difficult to find decent photographs suitable for scratch building the little things like the tail for the Wasp

Lots of decent (and some magnificent) pictures of the engine deck area and cabin

Not much tail action

Luckily our own Gengriz took some which he posted to the net and suggested to BM when a member asked about Wasps in 2010

THIS is excellent and gives me just what I needed

Thanks Gengriz

I think I can get all the right shapes for the rotor head gear shaft and the Anti Collision lamp from this

P1110514.jpg

Oh well that's a nuff for tonight  night all

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hovis said:

How different is the Wasp's tail area from the Scout's? I have a few pics of the Scout's tail thing....

They are pretty much completely different. Perdu is going along the right lines.

Nice work Perdu, I don't know about you but I find carving something from a block of laminated plastic card rather therapeutic. Perhaps I am just sad?

Martian

• Like 1

Sad?

Never, like you I love the pleasure of finding the hidden "devices" lost within chunks of plasticard Martian

Yes hovis the Scout does have a significantly aerofoil fin cross section but Wopsy has a sloping tapered tube back there, also has a tailplane stuck out to one side up top so the tail can fold

I'm getting stuck trying to find weapons release units photos, in fact Wopses were awfully shy about their bottoms

Photos of underneath seem never to show any details, dark painted low altitude's made lighting a shot awfully difficult

Any way up, on we go

Thanks to joining in and offering help