Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

3 hours ago, hendie said:

it grabs me fine Bill - looking very very nice

Sorry, were we supposed to say something about cars ???  ..... had a BGT - the universal joint in the steering arm wore a hole in the oil cooler feed (or return) hose.  The engine stopped.

I had a  B Roadster for over 10 years, totally restored by myself, but sold to finance the flying...a member of my local club had a BGT with a Jag V12 in it....I'll leave that to your imagination....

Ian

He engineered a space frame chassis within the shell of his Midge

The car was tested by one of the classic cars magazines and the writer writ that he'd never ridden in a modifed classic that felt so solid and together

A search against Midget Stuart Gunn might get the article out of the ether

et voila

https://ralphhosier.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/mighty-midget/

does a rather good piece on it, can't remember which magazine did it

He says its a 3.5 but I am sure Stu has a 4.2 in  it

Anyway, it can be done

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I do know of a guy on another forum that I frequent that's got the complete mechanicals of a Mitsi Evo V under a spaceframe Mini shell, so I guess if you're a good enough engineer/fabricator, almost anything can be done!

K

Been in a Mini with a Honda VTec 2.0 in it that was good fun,so I bet one plonked onto an Evo V is a real good laugh.

I think we call this fettling...

I have been messing around with Pavla's moulding rubber and some quick setting resin

Not very pretty is it but I did get the tailpipes right, nicely moulded

P1110484.jpg

on the next one :)

Nobody noticed I had the transmission unit upside down did you (cue some smar...)  oh well at the time I took this I hadn't noticed either

And on we go

If anyone recall Steve (Worm) showed me that the side panels on missile mounted machines had more body stiffeners  than un-roled aircraft

The Airfix kit has quite over pronounced stiffeners anyway, so it was time to edit the side panels to suit

P1110486.jpg

P1110487.jpg

Posing here with the fuselage is the window moulding buck I cast to try to make a pair of the classic bulgy windows that adorn the nose footwell window position, might be fun, we'll see in a few days when I gets around tuit

You may remember (may...) that when I built little Scouty I had problems getting the regulation sized lettering inset between the tail cone ribs because they had gained size in the initial engraving :(

Looking out countless (OK about sixty)photographs of the Wasp and Scout tailcone shows a relatively discreeet rib which is thrown into sharp relief by the shadows along it

So they had to get slimmed down too

P1110488.jpg

the bent strip at the port lower position was awaiting a slight whiff of Tamiya Green (As Baldrick says to Blackadder, "The finest Pure Green Milord" after his excursions into the lab, and so was slightly awry at shutterclick

I have also started building the extra equipment bay under the shorter tailcone section

P1110489.jpg``````````````

The first of the underside details is coming along too

Only one stringer so far but I already know there's much more than this

h e l p

Oh by the way

The latest one is good enough for me, what d'ye reckon?

P1110493.jpg

;)

• Like 9

Nice job Sir - 'the latest one' looks good to me and all that extra plastic is really, um, white isn't it. It reminds me of Rolf's paintings... "Can you see what it is yet?". Although now, sadly, I think we probably have a different connotation for that phrase... :( 

• Like 4

One of my favourite 'user phrases' Ced, I think I used it even before Rolf did, ho hum :(

Thanks chaps

Steve there're no two part castings involved here, just ease it gentle-like out of a clingy rubbercase type casting

Mind you I'm in the process of trying to remould that little Nimbus ATM, not happy with the intake ring and trans casing yet

And trying to find wheels that size is--- challenging

I have reduced the sticky out dimension on the ribs to get them closer to right, pics this evening

Using a new nail polishing sander block gives nicely shaped sanded edges

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, perdu said:

Steve there're no two part castings involved here, just ease it gentle-like out of a clingy rubbercase type casting

Right oh.  I was looking at the thin flash between the castings and thought maybe you'd done summat clever like split the RTV to make it easier to get the master and casts out :)

Beg to differ Bill :)

I couldn't really see how you could have got the master or casts out of a one piece mould.  That technique of cutting the mould has worked a treat and seeing as the casts look perfect it doesn't look to have caused any alignment issues.

I calls that clever - and copiable ;)

• Like 1

On the subject of wheels for the wee thing Bill,1/72 Harrier outriggler wheels seem to be just about the right size.

Airfix GR.3's(old ones at any rate)had two sets,one for wheels down and the other for,er,wheels up.

Verily,there must be a few kindly souls on here that could furnish a humble traveller through the exciting conversion

of Skite to Wopse with a couple of setsa said wheels by way of recompence for all the entertainment contained herein?

(I could furnish you with a couple a sets,but I'd have to pull 'em off my own converted Skoute to Wopse thingy)

Based on the quality of what you've produced there on the Nimbus  Bill it looks as if casting is something else to go on the 'needs trying' list. Do you mind me asking if the Pavla gear you mention was very expensive?

Top stuff!

Tony 

Don't know why I wrote pavla, THEY are superb moulders of model bits

I'm never going to be in their class   :(

I suggest you put this search into ebay...  rtv silicone moulding rubber  There'll be many offerings

I tend to spend about £12 on mine plus a bit for posting 

mine usually takes about twelve or more hours to cure

My last set came from Pottery Supplies on the bay

hope this helps

Go on try it, its fun

A proper update in a bit, I have to dash into the dark room with this negative...

hur hur

• Like 2

Spoiler

I dont know why I get a spoiler text heading tonight, I blame Invision

anyway

First I spent time reducing the ribbing to approximate size on the tailcone, looks more like it to the nekkid eye now

Then I began building the rest of the equipment bay and began the task of cutting away perfectly good plastic for the stub extensions, wings they most certainly cannot be surely  :(

I used my Expo drill with a long round burr tool in the chuck to excise the unwanted very ancient Airfix plastic

P1110495.jpg

The drawings of the equipment bay always show a straight rear edge, my photoresearch file shows a curved rear slope so curves it gets

Can you see the subtly reduced rear stiffeners yet?

Side ones have had  treatment too

P1110496.jpgThank the gods there is filler, I do not fancy trying to repanel that gap with five thou polystyrene

That errant strake has been Greened again, hope it stays stuck this time round...

P1110498.jpg

From the other side, waits trim and fill routine now

P1110502.jpg

And

P1110501.jpg

The stub 'things' don't have a lot of meat to remove so tomorrow should see me getting the stiffeners beneath the stubs in place and beginning building the u'cart

Keep 'em crossed

• Like 9