Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Now it is a matter of course that when I win som any I lose some

Anyway, pressing on

I have been furnishing inside the cab along with the crossbeam under the seats I have also removed the thick Airfix stretcher mounting beam and added the very thin internal ribbing across the fuselage wall

The rear wall on the Wasp has a recess within which live the control rods for the cyclic and collector mechanisms

The big hole was carved out and then a new panel to match the real thing has had the control run access cover fitted in place

P1110470.jpg

P1110471.jpg

When trimmed I reckon the inside will need painting Light Admiralty Grey, any ideas folks?

Anyway I did mention a little rain falling in our lives because karma didnt I ?

Oh no I used the 'win some lose some' metaphor didnt I (Or is that an epigram? Should have gone in that day instead of playing the wag)

Anyway

here's the rainfall

The Nimbus looks rather good and has avoided size creep which often gets involved in a build where there's a bit of scratchbuilding on a kit

P1110473.jpg

Sadly I cant claim the same for the gearbox

I reckon now it is on the engine I have a transmission fit for a 1:60 scale Wopse so its back to the plasticard bits box

Use 60 thou where I used 80 and reduce the dims to suit and I think we'll be back in with a shout 

And now its grovelling time

I know that many of you FAA types have the odd (or unusual) pictures stowed away in a box somewhere

Does anyone have a decent picture of the underside of a Wasp in which the unique architecture of the said beastie is clear enough for me to copy more or less faithfully, underneath?

I have lots of pictures of the upperworks, the insides and almost everything else ('cept that elusive drive coupling)

It's just that almost every picture I have of the dark little helicopter have the shadows underneath too dark to even 'fill' in Photoshop

( A slight exaggeration, I have two very average dark ones lightened but the undersides are totally different. One has the little SACRU one seems to have a stores dropping fitment)

Any help would be wonderful and as you can tell, very much appreciated

• Like 4

Here's the cavity I carved out of the rear cabin wall shown from outside, we won't be seeing much progress on this til I make the new transmission unit so for now

P1110477.jpg

and the inner rear wall is now trimmed to fit the new canopy... when its ready

P1110476.jpg

that little sketch is the resized trans box

The big drawing isn't

;)

• Like 4

On 20/09/2016 at 11:37 AM, SovereignHobbies said:

20140824_165648_zps184682d4.jpg

I'm sure I'll want (much) more power as soon as I've had it out on the road!

'Speshly if you've been out hairing about in that lovely looking and no doubt very roarty TVR:worthy::wub:

My mate has the 4.2 out of a duffed up Cerbera in his 1973 Capri "3.0"GT,sounds pretty fruity^_^and goes well.

It gets a few funny looks with it's twin pipes and tiny V8 badge until Dave turns the key and vroom-arrghs 'em.

'Ere Testarossa,I used to work for Lucas(well,Lucas Body Systems Division)back in the 80's/90's/00's,

damn fine firm to work for and all that.

By that time though,the era of dodgy Midgetery wiring was long gone.

Edited by Miggers

The Helicopter museum at Weston apparently has a Wasp but their website doesn't let on what's on display:

The Helicopter Museum has over 80 helicopters in the collection with the ones on display to the public being housed in the main display building.

Not very helpful. Weston is not a million miles from me so if you get stuck I could give them a ring and pop down with the iPhone camera?.

Very nice ...I've been belting around the Swedish countryside in one of these recently courtesy of my pal Jan...ridiculously quick and fun to drive...354 ponies and a 4.2 litre MTM GT supercharged V8 lump.....mind you it acts very properly in town traffic when necessary.....just need to get it to an autobahn !

DSC_0248_zpsh7btgwnx.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Stuff about cars.

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Stuff about cars.

On 20/09/2016 at 11:37, SovereignHobbies said:

Stuff about cars

Pah!

Coming off the apex of Paddock Hill Bend at Brand's at about 120mph in the wet:

BrandsHatch001_zpsmeivoqgx.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Very nice ...I've been belting around the Swedish countryside in one of these recently courtesy of my pal Jan...ridiculously quick and fun to drive...354 ponies and a 4.2 litre MTM GT supercharged V8 lump.....mind you it acts very properly in town traffic when necessary.....just need to get it to an autobahn !

DSC_0248_zpsh7btgwnx.jpg

Something wrong there.........I know what it is,it doesn't say BMW on it:P

16 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Pah!

BrandsHatch001_zpsmeivoqgx.jpg

Lead foot.

Well Bill, missed the start again but shall be here for the duration now - luvly jubly work on that ickle motor, bootiful!

I had some lovely detail pics of the Wasp that a very nice chap brought to Odiham families day a couple of years back (nice toy to have, eh?!) he opened up all the doors etc for me to poke the camera in. Unfortunately I lost them all when the PC died a fortnight ago, just after I'd thought 'really must back up everything on here'...:(

Looking forward to watching progress on this little gem!

Keith

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well Bill, missed the start again but shall be here for the duration now - luvly jubly work on that ickle motor, bootiful!

I had some lovely detail pics of the Wasp that a very nice chap brought to Odiham families day a couple of years back (nice toy to have, eh?!) he opened up all the doors etc for me to poke the camera in. Unfortunately I lost them all when the PC died a fortnight ago, just after I'd thought 'really must back up everything on here'...:(

Looking forward to watching progress on this little gem!

Keith

Was it a stripey one Keef?,if so,I bet the pilot was none other than John Beattie and the Wasp belongs to

Kennet Aviation.

1 hour ago, Ascoteer said:

I remember that corner from my 'Intermediate A Race Certification' (oh yes, poseur) - you can't see over the brow if memory serves.

29835061702_3e1fe9bb1b_n.jpg 29835069032_1582909aeb_n.jpg

Note the comment 'told to slow down'. It was wet.

Note also the hair. 1986. Now gone.

• Like 4

Where's the nose in the air emoticon at youse lot's clashes with speed huh?

;)

I should have more faith in me shouldnt I?

Trolling the web as ye do, in search of decent shots of Nimbus rear ends, yes madam I did I found this website Jet Power.co.uk with a whole raft of unpreviously seen (by me) images of Nimbii

Here's one from the back, on a rack (crape poetry alert) with transmission engagé

P1110480.jpg

After which lesson in the obvious to many of us

How does this grab ye?

P1110481.jpg

From this evening's research it appears that the drive is inside the vee shaped jet exhausts and so will not be susceptible to photgraphy without X-rays  :)

The jetpipes are plugged because I intend fitting bungs and RBFs to the model for display purposes but when I cast the next one, tomorrow with luck it will be possible to drill them out for flight displays if it is deemed 'de rigeur'

So relax and give thanks to Mr Adrian Bennett who posted the above picture to the net

Edited by perdu
missed a necessary smilycon, anna ?
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Was it a stripey one Keef?,if so,I bet the pilot was none other than John Beattie and the Wasp belongs to

Kennet Aviation.

Stripey? Nope, RAF Blue grey. I think! Memories playing up now I think of it Miggers, & unfortunately I can't check my pics... I didn't know Mr. Beattie, but from the comments saying what a nice chap he was in his obituary thread, it could  well have been him, as he was a very pleasant and helpful guy. But whoever he was, he could certainly fly a Wasp well, his display was tremendous!

K

4 hours ago, CedB said:

The Helicopter museum at Weston apparently has a Wasp but their website doesn't let on what's on display:

The Helicopter Museum has over 80 helicopters in the collection with the ones on display to the public being housed in the main display building.

Not very helpful. Weston is not a million miles from me so if you get stuck I could give them a ring and pop down with the iPhone camera?.

Thank you Ced, very kind offer

If I get beyond the realms of stolen webpics I might do that ta

All the model is really stuck for is pictures of the undersides and I think all the pics I've seen so far have been taken on the floor IN THE DARK or at least that's how they come out RAF Bl/Gy* is very light lazy

All rays hitting the underside seem to get gobbled up, little getting out for the camera  :(

* if it is RAF Bl/Gy which was prescribed elsewhere

• Like 1

it grabs me fine Bill - looking very very nice

Sorry, were we supposed to say something about cars ???  ..... had a BGT - the universal joint in the steering arm wore a hole in the oil cooler feed (or return) hose.  The engine stopped.

• Like 2