Three hardworking Douglas aircraft

Ozmac

When I started model building a few years ago, one of the first planes I wanted to build was a Douglas DC3. Such great planes. Recently, I came across a cheap 1/144 Minicraft kit of a DC6 in Pan Am livery, and that led me to find another 1/144 DC3 and buy a sheet of Pan Am livery decals for it, so I could have a pair. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a Pan Am set for a DC4, but when I found a decal set for the old, defunct Australian airline, Ansett, I was happy with that particular second best option. So here's a few shots of my hardworking Douglas fleet.

1jErWE.jpg

Though the DC6 came with Pan Am decals, the kit was very old and the decals were unusable. So I scanned the decals and printed out my own set. 

51JGAT.jpg

One trick with the DC6 was to install lead sinkers in the nose (otherwise it would sit on its tail).

AA2cld.jpg

I've always liked the Pan Am livery of that era.

RDaUGd.jpg

The Ansett Cargomaster decals were very nice, so any blemishes in the plane are entirely of my doing.

RKygX5.jpg

Not sure why, but I really like the cargo door. There's an old Cargo-version DC-4 in a local aircraft museum just south of Sydney that they're slowly converting over to a passenger configuration, and so it was a real pleasure to pop down and have a look at a 1:1 version while I was building my little 1/144 kit.

• Like 15

I like these, especially the Pan Am duo, that livery was always stylish & classical imho. Sad that a lot of folk today will have forgotten who Pan Am were. That Ansett livery is very well done but just a bit too "busy" to my eye, their fault, not yours.  ;)

Steve.

Yes, Steve, I've always liked the Pan Am livery, very stylish and classical.

(When I was a kid I used to play baseball in the winter, and in our "Little League" here in Sydney every team was sponsored by a big American company. I played for the Pan Am Indians, and at the end of the season Pan Am would throw a party for the team and our parents out at Sydney airport. The highlight was always at the airport fire station, where we'd endlessly climb the spiral stairs then slide down the steel pole from the second floor down to the ground floor. Amazing fun! So I was a rock-solid "Pan Am fan" when I was young.)

• Like 2